Harukanaru Ring - Vol. 2 Ch. 13 - No Regrets!

Dex-chan lover
This comic has a totally skitzo relationship with kayfabe, but I'm not mad at it. Very much of its era. Kinda like the old Game Boy in the laundromat scene.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, she's a heel but she shouldn't cheat to win?
Like I say, this comic is willing to admit that wrestling incorporates performance, but it's not ready to come out and say that wrestling is ALL performance. So you get weird dissonance like that.

Like I say, this comic is willing to admit that wrestling incorporates performance, but it's not ready to come out and say that wrestling is ALL performance. So you get weird dissonance like that.

My headcanon is Yu is just too stupid to realize that everyone else is in on it.

Dex-chan lover
This comic has a totally skitzo relationship with kayfabe, but I'm not mad at it. Very much of its era. Kinda like the old Game Boy in the laundromat scene.
I was going to say up until this chapter I didn't think kayfabe existed in this, but now it kind of does but not fully.

Dex-chan lover
Fuck my life, every chapter first there's some senseless violence that makes me want to drop the manga, and then there's an actual good moment that makes me want to give it another chance.

Fuck my life, every chapter first there's some senseless violence that makes me want to drop the manga, and then there's an actual good moment that makes me want to give it another chance.
Lol well it's pro-wrestling. Senseless violence is kind of the main appeal.

They express themselves through hitting the same way people in musicals sing when their emotions are the strongest.

But yeah, everything about Yu's training is toxic and abusive. It comes with the territory with older sports manga.

Dex-chan lover
Lol well it's pro-wrestling. Senseless violence is kind of the main appeal.

They express themselves through hitting the same way people in musicals sing when their emotions are the strongest.
But good pro-wrestling can add sense to said violence, whether it is through a storyline or athleticism itself (which this cannot have on multiple levels, since it's just manga AND it's treating pro-wrestling like it's real, which means it cannot explore the most interesting aspects of it).

Dex-chan lover
But good pro-wrestling can add sense to said violence, whether it is through a storyline or athleticism itself (which this cannot have on multiple levels, since it's just manga AND it's treating pro-wrestling like it's real, which means it cannot explore the most interesting aspects of it).
To be fair to them this is not unrealistic given how Japanese Pro Wrestling dojos used to train people at the time this manga was written. GAEA Girls was a good commentary about it, if anything they are under selling it in the manga a little compared to what some of those trainees went through, just look up Meiko Satomura's dropkick on some student to see what they had to put up with.

Users who are viewing this thread