Hataraku Kesshouban-chan - Ch. 1 - The Group of Small Workers

Dex-chan lover
I didn't know I needed this. I also enjoyed page 22 first panel.

goggle stare

Interesting in that Ch 26 of the main series seemed to directly refer to Backward Cap as a boy, with everyone, including Leader, using -kun as their suffix; yet this spinoff says its a girl.
Granted I haven't seen the raws of either, so I am curious as to which translation is right and which is getting lost with ambiguous gendered language. Or it could be like the original Banner of the Stars manga that didn't realize Sobach is a guy and drew him as a woman in error.

Power Uploader
@TheGTF Backward-chan's gender is unspecified as of yet, and we've left it this way (heck, I even used them/their for ambiguity cause I wasn't certain, myself). The raws refer to them as "Ushiromae-chan".

Fwiw, "chan" doesn't always mean female 100% of the time. From a quick Google search: "Chan (ちゃん) is a form of san used to refer to children and female family members, close friends and lovers."

Best guess here is that since all of them are kids, all of them are 'chan.' Same thing with Goggle-chan. I can't speak for raws for the main series, but here they're all 'chan'. Could just be the author of this spinoff is doing something different.

Raw for reference:
jwqEZBI.png

@Daxar Interesting, and kind of what I was expecting; certainly wasn't implying I thought you were wrong without any further info. I'm aware -chan and -kun in relaxed and/or affectionate contexts are not as black and white as they seem at face value. I was curious because the ch 26, based on its translation uses -kun instead and those two suffixes are unlikely to be confused in the sense of just reading it. Megakaryocyte directly speaks about Backward Cap when evaluating everybody, but without a raw of that chapter I wouldn't be able to look at the exact phrasing to see if there's anything specific that isn't just relying on the -kun usage to imply context. This series is mainly being penned by one of the storyboard writers for the show adaptation, so I guess she's probably just doing her own thing, in absence of any other info. All the same, super excited this being translated, now I think all that's left is Bacteria at Work, which has yet to be licensed or tackled by fans.

Update: Found the 26 raws, Backward Cap is addressed with -chan in that too, so we can conclude the translation floating around the internet is inaccurate since one should not confuse reading the two, it's an improbable misread. The pages used have a Chinese sourced watermark on them, so it is possible their source already had a context error in it.

Double-page supporter
AWWWW THIS IS SO CUTE also stare-chan is my new fav platelet uwu

Dex-chan lover
I don’t want to be that guy but a blood clot is made of fibrin and platelets who are stuck in it and it’s destroyed by the fibrinolysis. All in all, platelets are not reused after creating a blood clot, they « die ».

Dex-chan lover
I don’t want to be that guy but the platelets are not reused after forming a blood clot, so they all died here.

Users who are viewing this thread