Heisei Haizanhei ☆ Sumire-chan - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - A Woman Who Posts Online

Dex-chan lover
Damn, lost all of it in a pachinko cave. She's hopeless. The resident yakuza will be happy, though.

I thought she would be losing a lot of money by chain-smoking, but tobacco is actually cheap in Japan. No wonder they smoke so much.

Dex-chan lover
Onlyfemmefatales huh?

I am sure it is a respectable website with no "just yoga and chill" involved.

Dex-chan lover
Losing it all gambling, huh?

86002154_1329298859766.j.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL. This manga feels suprisingly realistic especially since all the streamers and youtubers nowadays always try to play up "just like me fr fr" character type.

I was wondering based on the notes at the end, does the era thing sort of translate as calling someone a relic in english?

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the TL. This manga feels suprisingly realistic especially since all the streamers and youtubers nowadays always try to play up "just like me fr fr" character type.

I was wondering based on the notes at the end, does the era thing sort of translate as calling someone a relic in english?
Relic would have a similar feel. Because the eras are keyed to the emperor's reign, and they tend to rule for a long time, and the name for the new era is chosen somewhat like an "aspirational" motto, each era signals a marked departure from the previous one.

And given the length, someone who was "active" (not just born) in one era may not be active or relevant in the next era. Heisei lasted from 1989 to 2019, and people had their entire career in that time, and when the Reiwa rolled around, they're likely not active/relevant, or could be considered a "relic."

Dex-chan lover
Relic would have a similar feel. Because the eras are keyed to the emperor's reign, and they tend to rule for a long time, and the name for the new era is chosen somewhat like an "aspirational" motto, each era signals a marked departure from the previous one.

And given the length, someone who was "active" (not just born) in one era may not be active or relevant in the next era. Heisei lasted from 1989 to 2019, and people had their entire career in that time, and when the Reiwa rolled around, they're likely not active/relevant, or could be considered a "relic."
yeah i rmb that from memes, reiwa vs heisei romance :ROFLMAO:. One of the interesting things about direct translations or losing original meanings, if it was localized you'd call someone a dinosaur, relic or antique to sound more natural lol.

Dex-chan lover

From the scanlator's TL Note page:
The emphasis on "era" in this manga plays off Sumire-chan being a "vanquished remanent soldier" of the previous era. I know it sounds awkward in English, but it has a particular feel to it in Japanese...

Fwiw, shubbby, I enjoyed reading your notes, and "vanquished remanent remnant soldier" doesn't sound awkward to me. Though florid, it sounds poetic - evocative in a melancholy, autumnal sort of way. In that, it's well-suited to what you're describing (especially when placed in quotes).

But yeah, I think the word you want is "remnant". While "remanent" is similar and could certainly work, it's a technical term relating to magnetism and rarely seen outside that context.

Contributor
They got banned for half a year for that? I guess it's better than a permaban, but still... The bigger problem I guess is that Sumire is terrible at finances (unsurprisingly), at this rate she'll never be able to buy that motorcycle before the last few drops of her youth dries up. It's nice that she discovered the joys of social media, but I hope she doesn't get addicted to it. It's an easy pitfall especially since she already has fans.

The mysterious cosplay girl last time is DMing her? Would be funny if that girl also has someone supporting her like Yuusei. In this age of people running other people's social media accounts (exactly what Yuusei used to do for Sumire), we don't actually know if it's the girl herself.

Users who are viewing this thread