Helck - Vol. 9 Ch. 80

This was so fucking random. What the hell. I mean it was fantasy at first, then a commentary on war then a commentary on nuclear weapons and now a commentary on global warming. And out of nowhere, oh yeah sci fi too. Bleh. This leaves a poor aftertaste.

Aggregator gang
@madwhiffery It's not really that random. If you reread the series from the beginning, the author has been setting up and foreshadowing all this from the very beginning, with ancient ruins of what is clearly an advanced civilization, the fact that the mutant things were specifically called "new world organisms", how numerous times they've said the power that transformed the humans comes from "another world" or a "new world" (likely what the ancients are calling hyperspace), etc.

@Terithian Hard disagree here. Listen man, I understand if the author drops hints, but New World Organisms? New World? These things are so vague, that while it's perfectly easy to argue that it was well-planned foreshadowing hindsight, you have to note that hindsight is also 20-20. New World could've meant practically anything, and in the light of the angels and whatnot attempting a New World Order, it strikes you as the most reasonable setting for what a fantasy story should be. There's twists where you can see it coming, and there's twists for the sake of twists like an M Night Shyamalan story. This was the latter. All that being said, my point was anyway more general that the whole story felt like an unplanned and overambitious mess that tries a lot, but never sticks.

Fed-Kun's army
I'd rather have a twist that's reasonable yet still unpredictable than one you can see a mile away. You can dislike where the story went but to say it was random or unplanned is pretty stupid.

I could've lived without any of that torture nonsense. It adds literally nothing to the plot.

Dex-chan lover
THEY MADE CONTACT WITH THE WARP! COME BROTHERS WE MUST DEFEAT THE HERETICS!

This reminds me about a book by Isaac Asimov.
Humans figured out a way to get "energy" from another dimension, but it had a hidden "negative" effect and without the humans knowing it was partly with the help of the intelligent beings from the other dimension that needed that transfer of energy to solve a problem that was dooming their sol system.
Or something like that, to remember the details.

Users who are viewing this thread