Her Mountain, Her Ocean - Vol. 2 Ch. 32 - Second year

Dex-chan lover
I'm loving this one so much, the art, coloring and paneling is so good and both girls are so precious, but every chapter i'm full of anxiety that they will have to deal with the horrible parents or other students bullying again. JEEZ!

Thanks for the translation, the cleaning and editing is great!

Dex-chan lover
So what are the odds that they are going to share a room with a future annoying love rival?

Dex-chan lover
She's all like, "Friendships don't last" and then specifically requests they stay together another year because she knows this one is more important than that.

Dex-chan lover
She's all like, "Friendships don't last" and then specifically requests they stay together another year because she knows this one is more important than that.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure she's already aiming for more than friendship, so what she said technically still holds true :meguusmug:

Dex-chan lover
Nope, no love rivals in this story which is another reason I love it.
Wait wait wait, did I read that right? There is no way a GL series doesnt have some sort of love rival, AINT. NO. WAY!

Dex-chan lover
image.png

?????????
Why is the writing in this manhua so bad? Everything feels so stilted and interactions just don't feel real.

Dex-chan lover
image.png

?????????
Why is the writing in this manhua so bad? Everything feels so stilted and interactions just don't feel real.
It does feel a bit stilted at times, but most of that feeling is from the translation - I think it mostly just needs a bit more editing that's focused on readability. Though it's mostly fine as-is - there are plenty of things on this site that have far less readable translations.

It's important to understand that translating anything like this is difficult - it's not just translating word-for-word (if that even has any meaning for a particular pair of source/target languages), it's literally rewriting the story in the target language. A good translation tries to capture things like word choices, style, even cultural influences - doing that requires a deep understanding of both the original material and its cultural context, as well as the target language and culture. And on top of all that the translated text needs to read naturally to a native speaker of the target language. A really good translator has to be able to read the original like a native speaker, and not just be a native speaker of the target language, they have to be a good enough writer in the target language to be able to do justice to the original. Even professional translators struggle sometimes - the original English translation of Dr Zhivago left the various poems from the text as "literal" translations - basically word-for-word - because the translator felt that he simply wasn't a good enough poet to do any kind of justice to them.

I'm totally incapable of doing any kind of translation myself, but I've done some editing of fan translated work - even just editing the translation is extremely challenging, and the effort and discussion required to try and capture the original intent in a form that reads well to a native English speaker is enormous. I have tremendous respect for people who are doing this kind of thing as a hobby, just because they like these stories enough that they want to share them with the world; I'll happily accept their gift of time and effort, even if they're not entirely comfortable for me to read.

Dex-chan lover
I'm well aware that it's real hard to do good translations, but Idk how much of the issues here stem from just not the most quality translation vs the source just being bad, not like I can read Chinese to find out. There's probably bits that sound worse here than in the original due to the translation and it would be nice to see how the story would feel if that was better, but there's also aspects that don't really feel like it's a translation issue and instead that the translator was just given a bad hand (like various plot elements and the pacing and whatnot). But yeah, Idk

Edit: I realize I think you were assuming I was saying the translation was bad and are defending that, but yeah that's not what I had meant I hadn't been clear but to me it feels bad on a more core level than the translation

Wait wait wait, did I read that right? There is no way a GL series doesnt have some sort of love rival, AINT. NO. WAY!
This novel focuses more on them getting closer, growing together and their personal struggles

Users who are viewing this thread