HERO - Akagi no Ishi o Tsugu Otoko - Vol. 17 Ch. 129 - Revenge

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Double-page supporter
what the hell??? Urabe??? Uhhhh wow not sure how to feel about this

Fed-Kun's army
Urabe was a character meant to show that someone who prefers surviving over winning could never reach Akagi's level. Akagi stated that Urabe would never reach him for that reason, and it's weird if it doesn't hold true.
I mean, it's not like Akagi taunts for the glory of it. He acknowledged that Washizu was a monster of the same caliber as him, and said so repeatedly. If Urabe was destined to become a legendary gambler, our MC would have predicted it and said something like "I'll fight you again when you get it" or such. But unless my memory's a mess, it's the contrary: Akagi leaves Urabe stating "if you can't fight back now, it won't happen later either".

So yeah, seeing Urabe back like that.... I'm not sure I like it. I kinda hope he ends up losing pathetically again, because it's supposed to be in-character.

Urabe was a character meant to show that someone who prefers surviving over winning could never reach Akagi's level. Akagi stated that Urabe would never reach him for that reason, and it's weird if it doesn't hold true.
I mean, it's not like Akagi taunts for the glory of it. He acknowledged that Washizu was a monster of the same caliber as him, and said so repeatedly. If Urabe was destined to become a legendary gambler, our MC would have predicted it and said something like "I'll fight you again when you get it" or such. But unless my memory's a mess, it's the contrary: Akagi leaves Urabe stating "if you can't fight back now, it won't happen later either".

So yeah, seeing Urabe back like that.... I'm not sure I like it. I kinda hope he ends up losing pathetically again, because it's supposed to be in-character.
In a way, Urabe's decision to gamble his life on the russian roulette was a change in that paradigm, he's no longer the same character, or the same opponent, it could even be said that this Urabe would have accepted Akagi's rematch request, If he was in that Urabe's day and place.

Not just Hiro can evolve, Urabe can too, the match of the underdogs, both are related to Akagi in different ways, both are trying to reach or surpass him.

As I've written in the comment section of a previous chapter, I already knew this plot twist. And personally? I really like it. I'm glad Maeda gave us the chance to see Urabe again, his complete downfall and miraculous comeback. All because of hatred. It's an interesting take on his character, and as this user said
Not just Hiro can evolve, Urabe can too, the match of the underdogs, both are related to Akagi in different ways, both are trying to reach or surpass him.
I think it fits the themes of this sequel/spinoff.

Dex-chan lover
Huh. Called it. Though I guess it really was obvious if you're familiar with the Akagi manga. I was expecting a twist or intentional misdirection since they left a bit of ambiguity on whether the Ichikawa in the earlier volumes was the real deal or just a guy larping as him. But I guess this time, it's literally just stated to be Urabe 100%.

Also I noticed in that little family portrait that it seems that Urabe hooked up with the same glasses wearing ponytailed doctor that saved him. Well that's one thing Urabe got over Akagi I guess. The guy scored with a nice lady and had a couple of kids lmao. Even Akagi admitted to the allure of a simple life with a family towards his later years. But he was just too stubborn in his ways to change the way he lived.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Somehow it would've been better if he was some chinese gambling legend instead of Urabe

Fed-Kun's army
I don't know man, it feels weird for the final boss to be someone so small in the greater picture of the Akagi/Ten universe after we've been through so much, well at least you gotta admit they foreshadowed it super well even if it totally flew over my head and delivered it super well too. Not sure what to think. I liked the "Ichikawa" cameo better if that was actually him, could have been a cooler final boss since his design and his concept are so unique and he's also an undying old man. But this nobody's comeback is a cool idea, kinda fanservicy and yet anti-fanservicy since I've never seen any Urabe fans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread