Hero Girl × Healer Boy: Touch or Death - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Project SS!!

Dex-chan lover
Are they trying to snipe it or just trying improve the transactions quality or are they just adding this magna to their websites list of their translations?

Dex-chan lover
wait a moment, i have several questions.
1. what kind of job is he working at?
2. touch or death? why? he doesn't a bomb collar to go physical
3. why are they letting some low level weeb ,that the sexy ninja lady seem to hate, go at her for a "massage" with very clearly sex toys...

Dex-chan lover
I'll admit, unless the numbering is way off on the raws, we are way behind the actual Japanese release (146), but this seems like a real strange way to go about things, even if the other group is on the slow side.

There was no mention on the latest chapter about it being dropped and it doesn't appear that this version is from some uncensored release either. If it means faster releases after almost two three months of silence then sure, it's not even a snipe basically at that point but still feels odd.

Dex-chan lover
I appreciate someone picking this up after such a long time, but wouldn’t it have been better to start with an untranslated chapter? There’s already a lot to catch up on, no point in redoing the 30 or so translated chapters.

Edit: actually, I just remembered that Squiggles loves this author’s works so I doubt they really dropped this to begin with.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I still find it hilarious that people have gotten so used to 'fan' translations that are transparently in it for the cash that a fan translation produced because the translator just enjoys it is somehow an impossible concept.
Back when aggregator sites did not exist (just indexes like the two decades old but still extant Manga-Updates), you got your scanlations from the group's IRC server or occasionally torrent links for their blog, and 'sniping' as a concept did not exist because there was no financial incentive to spam aggregator sites. Multiple groups would work on the same series, simply because they enjoyed it, and nobody batted an eyelid.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
wait a moment, i have several questions.
1. what kind of job is he working at?
2. touch or death? why? he doesn't a bomb collar to go physical
3. why are they letting some low level weeb ,that the sexy ninja lady seem to hate, go at her for a "massage" with very clearly sex toys...
Don't overthink it too much.
This is just a silly ecchi manga, nothing worthy to squeeze your braincells about. Just enjoy the ride.

Im confused, why go to the effort? This is already translated till ch. 30
I guess this group was dissatisfied with the quality.
Sadly i'm not aware of uncensored raws, so i doubt is that.

Supporter
While I appreciate the work that Squiggles does, they have a really specific way of translation that feels awkward and literal sometimes. It’s nice to see a group take a more readable approach.

Dex-chan lover
While I appreciate the work that Squiggles does, they have a really specific way of translation that feels awkward and literal sometimes. It’s nice to see a group take a more readable approach.
I think that's why a lot of people love or hate Tomoshibi and Squiggles, and why their shit works (to me) so well with the most absurd manga, because they add another dimension of absurdity. I also like a lot of more serious stuff, with more 'literary' translations, but Tomoshibi and Squiggles are hands down my favorite scanlators as far as pure, stupid amusement and finding peak, peak manga.

Anyways, though, if somebody else wants to do a labor of love and re-do it, by all means have fun. Sometimes it can be interesting to have a second look with somebody else's take.

Dex-chan lover
No need to sugarcoat it, it's almost always awkward. There are frequent spelling errors, poor word choices, and some words left as Japanese even though they have direct English translations. They've been doing this for years with little to no improvement.

Dex-chan lover
I still find it hilarious that people have gotten so used to 'fan' translations that are transparently in it for the cash that a fan translation produced because the translator just enjoys it is somehow an impossible concept.
Back when aggregator sites did not exist (just indexes like the two decades old but still extant Manga-Updates), you got your scanlations from the group's IRC server or occasionally torrent links for their blog, and 'sniping' as a concept did not exist because there was no financial incentive to spam aggregator sites. Multiple groups would work on the same series, simply because they enjoyed it, and nobody batted an eyelid.

Well I wouldn't view it with that much rose tint.

I did scans back in those days, before retiring due to IRL then coming back to the aggregator era only to quit yet again, this time mainly because of sniping. But it's not what you think either.

Back then, multiple groups did work on the same series. I wouldn't say we didn't care about sniping though. There was definite rivalry between groups, but we could maintain that because since the scanlations weren't openly available like today, we all had our own communities that read our output and not anyone else's. Basically, it only worked out because we were siloed and our readers wouldn't go to other groups. And collabs or agreements were easier since there were so few groups, like sometimes some of us would agree to do speed while another group did quality.

Now everyone basically reads manga from aggregator sites, where all groups scans get mushed together. So we no longer command dedicated communities, neither are we shielded from seeing other's work. And there are so, so many more groups or even solo guys using ML. Basically, it makes it more obvious that we're doing double work, and yeah, that sucks and is a problem, even if it was one that always existed but we could bury our heads in the sand about. In it for the passion has limits, this still affects us.

As for why I quit again? You're right that it's ridiculous to paint scanlators as sniping just to cash in. But sniping for ego and sniping out of spite exist too, and regardless of the reason, sniping sucks now that we can all see it and can't ignore it. I did a series where more people read speed scans even though we were the original group (or at least a designated successor to the original group), and despite our higher quality, from the TL, to cleaning, to typeset. Most of our group got more and more de-motivated and quit, until finally our last translator threw in the towel and it was curtains.

Dex-chan lover
honestly my 'tism makes the squiggles ones really easy to read lol personally i like the super literal stuff

Power Uploader
Author references pixiv, trending post is a loli art lol. Author knows ball, respect.

So this is basically Mato no Seihei? Forget basically, it's almost exactly the same idea.

Users who are viewing this thread