Hero? I Quit a Long Time Ago - Ch. 260

Dex-chan lover
Is a cum-bodyguard a bodyguard for cum or a cum that acts as your bodgyguard? Or is more like a bodyguard who is also a coomer?

Group Leader
@hajns @Cacophony @FlexSeal @Acolytus @Eryuzo Please bonk yourselves.

The word "cum" is latin for "and" and is used in the english language to join two nouns together. The usage of [noun 1]-cum-[noun 2] indicates that the subject holds characteristics of both nouns 1 and 2.

@Cacophony Particularly you, before you call it a translation "trainwreck", please make sure your uneducated horny ass has a ticket.

Dex-chan lover
@Whyte I know, pal. I just find its use funny for obvious reasons. Didn't mean for it to come out as criticism or a mockery of the translation.

@Whyte in which it could have been handled better than USING FREAKING LATIN. Still calling it a trainwreck cause there are many other options in translation choice. Also i am not attracted to non existent pixels, no jail for me :)

Group Leader
@Cacophony Your uneducated ass needs to learn that this is a well-established practice in the english language. There are many concepts/phrases in the english language that have imports from other European languages such as french, latin, arabic, etc.

That said, there are no alternative translation choices. So don't speak when you don't know jackshit.

Double-page supporter
@whyte When I saw these comments I actually had to search where it had been used. People are just immature when they see the word cum. Have to admit "cum bodyguard" does sound funny.

Group Leader
@skultech I'll admit. It is funny. But cracking a joke and just plainly being ignorant are different things. That cacophony guy was clearly an ignorant one.

@Cacophony I've seen the use of "A-cum-B" in other light novel translations like in Overlord. I've also seen this usage in a few academic articles. Don't blame others for your ignorance please.

Wowee, everyone takes this too seriously and try to sound like they're big brain's. This is not an 'academic article' of sots, this is a fun read with pictures and booba ffs.

Group Leader
@Cacophony Your brain is just too small, unfortunately.

That said, I do hope that you now understand it is proper english.

It's technically proper Latin, and it's use in English is archaic outside of academia. For the most part IRL people just say "slash". The only time I've ever seen anyone use A-cum-B (again outside of specific Latin terms in academia, some I occasionally use myself) is in translated web novels/manhuas since there aren't many better alternatives.

That said I don't know how "slash" would sound to anyone outside of American English so I'm not going to propose it as a solution without a slew of opinions from other English dialects. Though simply writing "A/B" would allow the reader to fill in the blanks themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread