Heterogeneous Linguistics - Vol. 1 Ch. 9

Aggregator gang
Supposedly, the idea of eating family/friends exists even in a human culture. It's to honor them by having them live through you or something? Idk for sure, but it's something I heard in a lecture a while ago.

Dex-chan lover
Dragon tail meat? lol

Cannibalism is just wrong. it ain't gonna connect you to you dead family if you eat their body. Might catch a horrible sickness at best

Big oofs all around.

The smol slime is translating but it happens that it takes some time to process the request.

@Sarsak
@Liquidxlax
The only wrong part of cannibalism is getting sick from the prions; if that could be filtered out, its ethical arguments would be much easier to hash out.
If everything in the world was "contaminated" by the corpses of your parents, would you still refuse to touch anything and starve to death? Defining how to "purify" the connection is a much simpler alternative.

Dex-chan lover
A human body works wonders for the soil, When I die I want to be buried under a fruit tree and my bones used for tools

Dex-chan lover
Maybe dragons consider burial or cremation wasteful, and instead offer themselves to be consumed when their life has passed. Lot of meat there, after all.

Dex-chan lover
94d.jpg

Double-page supporter
To me, if my family members are buried near a fruit tree & their bodies are absorbed by the tree only for it to produce lots of fruits after, I will eat the fruit & cultivate the new seeds to grow more fruit trees. When you die, your body may perish but your soul lives on to the afterlife. So to not waste the decomposing body, bury it underground for nature to benefit from it. It is the same thing when you use cattle waste for your vegetable farm. You'll still grow the vegetables & eat them, right? You're not directly eating your family member or poop, as the plants & earth are the natural processor & filter for the non-consumables. It is how we humans survive through nature & it is the natural order of things.

But if cannibalism is the only option to survive, you gotta do what you gotta do to stay alive. But then, it shouldn't be done often or made into a custom, for moral, physiological & psychological reasons. & unless biologically you can withstand the side effects of cannibalism, you simply shouldn't do it. That said, eating another (lesser) species is a means for you to survive so it is permissible, regardless of your moral, cultural or faith standing, as homo sapiens are built to be omnivores.

Ugh why am I writing an essay here? This manga is deep haha. If humans can communicate with (perceived) animals then they won't eat them, because they'll at least be on the same moral standing & intelligence, & therefore won't kill each other for food & will work side by side to cultivate other food sources to survive together. This world seems like it has this kinda setting, besides the high linguistic values it is presenting to us readers plus how big of a difference the humans see the other creatures' cultures & how they cope with it, starting from this one legendary professor & now the student.

Love the soft world setting though. This manga is teaching us empathy to other living creatures via communication & relationship beyond the conventional (human) ways.

Wow, if you'd think of it, in some society where agriculture and domestic livestock is not the norm, hunting and gathering would be the main source of food. But with this, they'd removed the aspect of agriculture making it hard to make parallels to that of our society.

It cool to see that because of such differences, we can observe here that making food of your dead acquaintances is considered the norm instead of what we humans do.

Maybe it's because we've strived for prosperity instead of being content with the bare minimum.

Dex-chan lover
I'm going to throw a wild guess that the slime is silent because it's parsing his request and it's going to pipe up at some random point ten years later or something.

Users who are viewing this thread