Heterogenia Linguistico - Vol. 2 Ch. 12

Fed-Kun's army
No no no, no more sidestepping.
I'm not gonna keep this back and forth going while you cherry pick whatever you can misrepresent and ignore the rest.

What the hell is even your problem then? If you're saying the author could've just used any diacritics and explained them from context, which they already did in their own way, then are you saying that you would've been fine with the squiggly lines being over different syllables instead of next to them? That's not always even possible when writing with Kanji where one character represents multiple syllables. So yeah, if your idea is so much better, please give us a real example of what the author should've done, instead of just saying "my idea is better and totally possible."

Show me how you could do it better. And since you made this more about the Japanese than everything, you have to make it work in Japanese. Show me how you would use a diacritic to represent tone for a character that represents multiple syllables.

Fed-Kun's army
Congratulations, transliterating to romaji is already more effort than a mangaka should have to spend on something that works fine as-is once explained to please a single complaining foreigner who he doesn't know exists. The point of the manga is that what the characters are saying is already vague and relies on context in-universe to figure out an entire new language, readers shouldn't have to go through the extra hurdle of reading in their least common alphabet. If anything, you could've said " the author should have written everything in katakana," which would've worked just as well since each character corresponds to one syllable, but this just shows how you don't actually give a shit about how easy it is for the Japanese audience to parse and are just trying to justify your own stupid fix to your anecdotal problem that only you have.

Fed-Kun's army
What are you talking about? Romaji is taught in schools and used for typing, but Japanese people aren't nearly as used to reading it as they are to katakana. We've already established that the actual diacritic used doesn't matter because it's going to be defined by context, so there's nothing stopping the mangaka from just drawing the diacritics above katakana. Jesus fucking christ you're denser than a shounen manga protagonist, this entire conversation has been you misrepresenting my points because I don't spell them out clearly enough, then when I ask you to provide a solution and you provide a shitty one, you imply that romaji is somehow more agreeable to read than katakana for a Japanese person because I didn't explicitly spell out that someone drawing manga can draw symbols above katakana.

Fed-Kun's army
"I'm just going to ignore the core of your argument and say that because I can take small facets of your explanations that support my point you're saying the exact same thing I'm saying, and even though you've been directly arguing against what I've been saying clearly you only now understood what I've been trying to say."
Yeah okay buddy. Your inability to see beyond your own perspective is astounding. Anybody can force implications out of someone else when they're talking about the same issue from different perspectives. I've only ever been quoting you and explaining how I disagree in reference to your perspective, and you've only ever been replying to the implications you perceive in my arguments instead of the established arguments themselves. But okay, you got me, I've definitely been agreeing with you the whole time and clearly if I mention that diacritics exist but that doesn't mean everybody understands them, all I'm really saying is that diacritics exist and that proves your point 100% no matter what the rest of the sentence is. You surely have bested me in this internet fight through the immense power of your cherry-picking.

Ping me again when anybody besides you on the planet gives a shit and complains about a perfectly functional way to show an idea that only you have a problem with. Nerd.

Fed-Kun's army
To reiterate, your inability to see beyond your own perspective is astounding. Somebody having a different opinion than you is not automatically proof that you're right, and you can't "disprove" somebody's perspective by just parroting your own over and over. I've never once misunderstood what you said, and I challenge you to quote where I did. What I am doing is disagreeing with you.

Fed-Kun's army
@amtt

On page 3, shouldn’t either Kashoo or Kekoo be referred to as ”she”?
Also, thank you (and the rest of Gold Roze|You’re Welcome Scans) for making this translation :)

Dex-chan lover
This would be somewhat easier to understand as an anime I think, but it might not and I imagine it would be hard in its own way using sounds and gestures to communicate where not all words are known, tranlated or have a translation.

Inflections/tone + highly contextual? Good lord, Old Werewolf is a linguist's nightmare. It's rather surprising that the lizardmen are using it here, but I like how Susuki is kind of guessing the interpretation at times.
I'm reminded of this obscure, northern Chinese language/dialect where inflection can indicate whether something is near or far. Too bad I can't remember which it is.

Dex-chan lover
This manga show exactly why languages are a fucking nightmare for some translators

Fed-Kun's army
this was literally my old chinese teacher trying to explain to me how the different intonations with the same sounds hold vastly different meanings and can influence whether something's a question or not.

(also jesus i scrolled down and :0 ppl out here be throwing punches)

MD@Home
I'm not gonna even read all these walls of text, and just say that non-concatenative tonal morphology is fuckin' sweet

Fed-Kun's army
And let's just take a moment to think: OG professor hired a guy with a trumpet to BRAAAAAP on cue just to explain a point.

Dex-chan lover
Holy shit that's a broken dialect if I have ever come across one.

I had to gave up on meaning as MC did.

Kashoo lying on the ground and stopping whatever he's doing because of it being tired is a mood

Users who are viewing this thread