HG ni Koisuru Futari - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
@SuperOniichan I actually enjoy SEED; its first half actually does a pretty interesting job of modernizing the original Mobile Suit Gundam storyline. I have few issues with it, really only wishing Kira was a little less melodramatic. By which, I mean that the emotional trauma that he's put through over the course of the series, while being perfectly appropriate to the plot and the characters, feels like it becomes a little trite the longer the series goes on because of how... Overacted? Yeah, overacted, soap-opera-y, is probably the best way to put it. They try to really hammer it home that Kira's traumatized by his experiences and being a Coordinator on the side of Naturals, but they just overdo it at times. Which, in all honesty, probably has to do with the fact that Kira was originally supposed to die during his duel with Athrun, but he was super popular, so they had to do rewrites.

As for Destiny, it tries to be the modern Zeta, so edgy angst is basically the name of the game, and it might resonate with teenagers, but to everyone else, it just comes across as cringeworthy. Shinn's background, that of a war orphan who was traumatized by losing his family to a crossfire, and joins the military in hopes of preventing similar losses, sounds good on paper. In execution, however, he blames ORB for his losses, aka his home nation that was attacked for not picking a side, and the fact that he lashes out at practically everyone, even personally killing the one person who was nice to him in his worst moments, makes him just so unlikable. Then you have Athrun basically go against his character development from SEED to rejoin ZAFT, have Mira Campbell become a fake Lacus, while the real Lacus becomes a bit of a Mary Sue; then you have Mu La Flaga's heroic sacrifice from SEED get completely overturned (only part of me is upset at this, because it means Murrue Ramius gets a happy ending), as well as Andrew Waltfeld's death getting reversed (without reversing his wife's).

It all honestly comes across as them saying "hey, remember everything you loved about SEED? Well, get ready for all of that to have meant absolutely nothing!"

Contributor
SEED was the first Gundam TV series (not OVA/Movie) that I watched from start to finish when it first aired.
However, when SEED Destiny (TV) started airing, I read the not-so-favorable reviews of the early episodes, and decided to skip it.

A summary of SEED Destiny:
wtf.jpg

Group Leader
@SuperOniichan SEED Destiny has a lot of hand writing and rewriting the plot that later becomes a hurricane of stuff flying at you. Which is why the narrative becomes really disjointed.

the fuck was her point "people have fond memories of it" so you can't shit on it?
Can't criticize anything then

Dex-chan lover
@DragonTiger @Vincentius Oh, that reminds me of some of my favorite shows, which at some point changed radically, because the authors did not know how to work with great potential or did not even notice it. Well, it was 00s, so it's possible that edgy stuff was just an attempt to keep up with the trend. Judging by LGBTQ in Orphans or ship bait in 00, the franchise really likes to be trendy.

In any case, I personally hold SEED after 4-5 episodes, because at that time Gundam was not my cup of tea, despite several direct hits like genetics or twins intrigua.

Dex-chan lover
@SuperOniichan I mean that kid who was calling the protagonist an old lady, characters like that who only work to make tactless or ignorant remarks are very annoying, I wish he wasn't there but is too late now, but hopefully he won't become an active characters and only be used on certain occasions... But in general, I never liked shotas(kids) in manga.

Dex-chan lover
@Serenata It's funny to hear this from a person who expects a 30-year-old woman to be with a 14-year-old girl. In any case, you misunderstood me. I did not speak about your attitude towards him, but about the fact that I initially mistook him for loli. I absolutely don't understand why moe artist is so fond of over-the-top femine male characters. No, more precisely, I guess why, but these are just my assumptions.

Dex-chan lover
@SuperOniichan has the 14 years old girl Sora been annoying, offensive and tactless so far to the point it would be crazy to expect them to get along? that comparison doesn't make sense, is not about the age, is the fact that the kid is annoying and is only there to make the protagonist feel worse about her hobby, in other words, the total opposite of the teenager girl.

Huh, that's odd... I never consider him looking like a girl, young kid girls or boy look more androgynous of course but with his spiky hair and clothes and general attitude I never found him "cute"

Dex-chan lover
@Serenata Again, I'm not talking about their personality, but about your more general phrase that you don't like "kids" in the manga. This is a subjective question, boyish loli also exist.

Dex-chan lover
I'd like to say the art continues to be top tier, but, ouch those side views...

Well I'm enjoy all gundam series, include SEED and SEED Destiny
BUT, one little note for Sunrise--never let dying writter writing gundam storyline!!--except Tomino, his depresion makes Zeta awesome!!

SEED Destiny really lacking chara development--Our jesus Kira and Lacus Clyne, copy-paste story not different with SEED(the story better than Destiny though), etc

Note: Infinite Justice and Athrun Zala fucking Awesome!!

Shinn wouldn't be a bad character had he been properly developed. But they dropped the ball and had regressed his character. They also went about it half way and had him be a lackey to Durandal instead of a major antagonist.

But hey, there was SRW that went about fixing that.

And the mech designs were awesome. Who cares that the Destiny was a bad guy mech. With its Wings of Light, Destiny was cool looking Gundam.

They really did do Shin's character dirty. He's still one of my personal favorites, it just sucks that the second half of the series was just a big mess.

Fed-Kun's army
don't worry about the whitening bit as that makes total sense too.

I watched seed as a kid and then as a teen I went from Shinn sucks to the writers did Shinn dirty. Funny as hell

Users who are viewing this thread