Hibari's Morning

Loved it: I'm one of those schmucks who gave it 10 stars. The comments prepared me for a depressing ending, but
there's no indication that she committed suicide or anything. Yeah, she seems to have run away from home, but that rids her of her primary danger, and if she's graduated high school, then she's an adult and can do as she likes. The title is “Hibari's Morning,” referencing the morning that she stops holding her breath and tries to start making her own way—because staying any longer will kill her. But she won't tell us how she plans to live now because everyone who has had a chance to help has failed her, by being powerless or cruel or just unwilling to shoulder some risk. The ending felt like an FU to her audience, and I loved it. If anything, I thought the ending was hopeful.

Really great storytelling about someone dying at the hands of people not trying to kill her but failing to help her. A story of selfishness, self-centeredness, pettiness and powerlessness.

I love how it spits on common trope like the aloof but kind guy, who ends up being the one with the least ability for empathy. The only one who really tried to talk to her was the high school boy, but what can children do? Often, not much. The adults were the ones who should have done something.

Overall a really good mood piece.

Muita coisa interessante aqui. De maneira geral, um retrato sobre como a sociedade japonesa parece estar despreparada para lidar com um caso de abuso. Olhando para o colega temático "Sensei no Shiroi Uso", da Akane Torikai, nem mesmo a escola é uma instituição útil para esses momentos. E não é diferente no ambito individual.

Acho que há um interessante retrato do quão predatórios e insensíveis homens pode ser também: seja no parente da Hibari, que sexualiza a virgindade da namorada ou no amigo dele, que considera a Hibari presa fácil por ser nova. Isso é nojento, mas é bem realista na verdade. E acho que só o mangá josei, na minha ainda curta experiência nos mangás, teve coragem de adentrar por esses territórios mais desconfortáveis do machismo (apesar do Sensei no shiroi uso ser seinen k).

Loved it: I'm one of those schmucks who gave it 10 stars. The comments prepared me for a depressing ending, but
there's no indication that she committed suicide or anything. Yeah, she seems to have run away from home, but that rids her of her primary danger, and if she's graduated high school, then she's an adult and can do as she likes. The title is “Hibari's Morning,” referencing the morning that she stops holding her breath and tries to start making her own way—because staying any longer will kill her. But she won't tell us how she plans to live now because everyone who has had a chance to help has failed her, by being powerless or cruel or just unwilling to shoulder some risk. The ending felt like an FU to her audience, and I loved it. If anything, I thought the ending was hopeful.
I agree with this... Though it can't be certain, this is how this ending feels to me.
Especially with the emphasis on "I must be gone and live. Or stay, and die." And the note of, "If they were to come back to life, that would be a miracle. That's what this story is about." It feels, to me, that Hibari is that miracle. She realizes that if she's going to live, she has to leave. She runs and doesn't turn back. It feels hopeful, in that way.

Users who are viewing this thread