Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Meguri - Vol. 5 Ch. 18.4 - Akarigurashi-hen Part 4.4

The manga is so much superior to the anime it's not even funny anymore.
You can say that twice!
Satoko has a much better reason for looping here. I was genuinely taken aback when I started to read Meguri's take on Satokowashi - the character development was so much better. Satoko's motivation for looping here makes far more sense than it ever did in the anime.
I swear, it feels like R07 himself was disappointed with the way he wrote Sotsu, so he chose to re-write it here. And if that's really the case, I'm really proud of him.

You can say that twice!
Satoko has a much better reason for looping here. I was genuinely taken aback when I started to read Meguri's take on Satokowashi - the character development was so much better. Satoko's motivation for looping here makes far more sense than it ever did in the anime.
I swear, it feels like R07 himself was disappointed with the way he wrote Sotsu, so he chose to re-write it here. And if that's really the case, I'm really proud of him.
Ryukushi was definitely disappointed by the incompetence of GouSotsu, but he only wrote the outline for both of the new Higurashi anime. Which also explains why the manga and the anime have the same structure but also has two different writers (in this case Akase is making these chapters like it was meant for him).

Dex-chan lover
There is no future for us

We are only us in the present.

I can't lose you Rika.

Why can you lose me?

As much as I like how Meguri is fixing the issues in GouSotsu, the solution is becoming too convenient and Satoko's motive is becoming inconsistent for me to consider Meguri much better.

The convenient part is that it turned out Rika looped many times since learning about Satoko's looping and she was able to find the blade to kill loopers. It's too much of a tell on what happened instead of showing us what is happening or going to happen, like how Rika was able to find the H173 and learn about what it does from Irie and Takano. Everything else like that and Keiichi & his friends trusting Rika is done much better than "Oh Rika found the blade off screen and asked Mion to dull it. Easy." The blade was such an important plot point and it's just brushed aside.

Then there's Satoko's motive. I don't know if Rhuukishi and Tomato are retconning the reason why Satoko looped, but now having her say "Everyone died in the future!" instead of "You died, Rika! And I'm lonely with how everyone left me!" as her motive is just as inconsistent as her original motive from GouSotsu - not wanting to be alone but really hates studying. The only hope I have on this "motive" being fake is that Satoko is actually lying to get killed off easily, thus getting what she wants after losing. But still, at this point, Satoko doesn't seem to be ever meant to be written as a better villain than Takano. Real tragedy imo...

KZO

Dex-chan lover
The only hope I have on this "motive" being fake is that Satoko is actually lying to get killed off easily, thus getting what she wants after losing.
Isn't that obvious? I thought it was pretty clear that was the case, let's see if Rika calls her bluff or not.

⣿⣿⠋⠡⢔⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣶⡌⢙⣿⣿
⣿⠃⠄⢰⣧⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡏⠄⠘⣿
⣿⠄⠄⢐⣿⣻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠄⠄⣿
⡏⠄⠄⠈⠉⠙⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠟⠟⠛⠗⠄⠄⣸
⡇⠄⠄⠐⠷⣻⡶⢌⠛⠿⣿⣿⢿⠿⣻⠶⠶⢶⣦⠄⠄⢐
⡇⠄⢰⡆⢤⣦⣄⣧⣬⡦⣼⣷⣤⣈⣬⣄⣠⣅⣢⡗⠄⠸
⡇⠄⠰⢿⣷⣤⣤⣾⣿⡃⣿⣿⡟⣿⣯⣯⣭⣷⢿⠅⠠⣿
⡇⠄⠄⢾⣿⣿⠿⣿⢿⢠⣿⣿⣷⢼⣟⠿⣿⣿⣿⣻⢠⣺
⣿⡇⠄⢈⠉⠱⣿⣿⣄⠈⠻⠻⠋⢠⣿⣷⠌⠙⠛⠁⢸⣿
⣿⣇⠄⢻⣷⣦⣄⠉⢛⡒⠄⠄⢀⣛⠋⣀⣤⣾⡗⡀⣾⣿
⣿⣿⣦⢂⠻⣿⣿⠷⣮⣟⣻⣛⣿⣿⣲⣿⣿⡏⠔⢼⣿⣿
⡿⠿⠛⠁⠁⠙⣿⣥⣈⣉⣉⣋⣉⣨⣼⣿⢟⠌⠄⠄⠈⠉