Hirayasumi - Ch. 53 - Natsumi-chan's Meaningless Stuff

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, literally good for her. I think the pressure on young people to Immediately Do Big Sucsessful Stuff... its bad for your brain. You need time to just let yourself grow. Those experiences will feed the things you want to do next- even, slash especially if it's creative work.

How can you tell stories if you haven't done things to tell stories about?

Dex-chan lover
I kinda feel this is a bad step for her. I get why she is doing it, but I think she should just keep drawing. If anything, she can keep practicing her craft until that moment she finds some inspiration.

Dex-chan lover
I kinda feel this is a bad step for her. I get why she is doing it, but I think she should just keep drawing. If anything, she can keep practicing her craft until that moment she finds some inspiration.

Yeah, I feel like the "take a step back and loosen up" thing works for Yomogi because of how high strung she is. But it doesn't really work for Natsumi who's on the cusp of debuting. Especially when it comes to comics, art, or whatever, the advice is always to just create stuff and in creative fields it's extremely easy for a small break to become long term. Her big problem isn't really that she's under a ton of pressure per se but that Nikaidou, as well meaning as he intends to be, has too much of a stern, old fashioned mentality so he's (intentionally or not) making her doubt herself. Which is then compounded by the personal problems like her friend's time being taken up with her new boyfriend so she feels left behind.

I feel like this would have been better as a Natsumi/Reina chapter as Reina would be good for making her realize the same sort of thing in not stressing herself so much leading to her making up with Hiro.

In general I think this is a great series and Shinzo's one of my favorite creators but there's a few instances where I don't really agree with the message or end result. Hideki quitting his job with seemingly no backup and safety net is another one. As miserable as the job was... he's got a wife and kid and should have maybe had some kind of plan first instead of having an "it'll work itself out" attitude.

Supporter
Yeah, I feel like the "take a step back and loosen up" thing works for Yomogi because of how high strung she is. But it doesn't really work for Natsumi who's on the cusp of debuting. Especially when it comes to comics, art, or whatever, the advice is always to just create stuff and in creative fields it's extremely easy for a small break to become long term. Her big problem isn't really that she's under a ton of pressure per se but that Nikaidou, as well meaning as he intends to be, has too much of a stern, old fashioned mentality so he's (intentionally or not) making her doubt herself. Which is then compounded by the personal problems like her friend's time being taken up with her new boyfriend so she feels left behind.

I feel like this would have been better as a Natsumi/Reina chapter as Reina would be good for making her realize the same sort of thing in not stressing herself so much leading to her making up with Hiro.

In general I think this is a great series and Shinzo's one of my favorite creators but there's a few instances where I don't really agree with the message or end result. Hideki quitting his job with seemingly no backup and safety net is another one. As miserable as the job was... he's got a wife and kid and should have maybe had some kind of plan first instead of having an "it'll work itself out" attitude.
I don't know, it seemed like Natsumi was having a breakdown every other chapter due to stress from making manga and Hideki was contemplating suicide. Sometimes I think it's necessary to take drastic measures and put yourself first.

Another thing is that the message of this manga doesn't seem to align with traditional ideas of success. Look at how Hiro lives, but he's happy and that's what's really important. I think the author is trying to show that debuting and becoming "successful" is not equivalent to or more important than personal happiness and that Natsumi should do whatever makes her happy, even if it's "meaningless".

I mean in regards to manga creation it's definitely the mangaka using his own experience, of course the "always work hard and keep at it to chase your dreams!" attitude is nice and all, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the person who has actually gone through it(ofc not saying every mangaka thinks and feels exactly the same). Sometimes it's important to step away and get a better perspective on things, you can't just mindlessly keep going at something and hoping it gets better just because "hard work!!".
Also Hideki was def gonna kill himself, like again I get where you're coming from, but the dude was gonna lose it, at that point you need some drastic measures even if it's not the smartest decision.
When it comes to this manga honestly I don't think you should expect 100% cold hard almost cynical realism, people won't always make the best decision and that's fine, that's how this manga has always been. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't for these characters. Also we can't forget at the end the mangaka is a person himself, he has his own set of beliefs and whatnot, so of course those will weasel themselves into his writing.

Aggregator gang
It's easy to say “let's do meaningless things” when you live with your cousin in his that was given to him, with money given to you by your parents. I'm all for taking care of one's mental wellbeing, but this is romanticizing too much for my taste. Still, this manga has surprised me before with its direction. I'm eager to see where this is going.

Dex-chan lover
lil bb was just burnt out and needed to pause and be gentle with herself 🥺

Users who are viewing this thread