Hitoribocchi no ○○ Seikatsu - Vol. 6 Ch. 68

Double-page supporter
For some reason, I can't help but feel this chapter was a response to all the people who watched the anime and went "Kai-chan is terrible! Why did she make Bocchi have to become friends with the entire class!? That's just too much!! Boo Kai-chan!"

To late but yeah, Kai chan really is a good friend. All she did was to help Bocchi.

People judging Kai chan or her promise just don't understand it.

Dex-chan lover
For some reason, I can't help but feel this chapter was a response to all the people who watched the anime and went "Kai-chan is terrible! Why did she make Bocchi have to become friends with the entire class!? That's just too much!! Boo Kai-chan!"
To late but yeah, Kai chan really is a good friend. All she did was to help Bocchi.

People judging Kai chan or her promise just don't understand it.
I'm still kind of salty about Kai. She broke Bocchi's heart because she thought she knew what was best for her. You could argue that it was the right course of action that time, because it did end up with her making lots of friends. But that's just because this is a SoL about her making lots of friends. It's not realistic.

In real life, it probably would have gone way differently. Most likely, she'd feel hurt, betrayed, and abandoned. Probably wouldn't end up making any real friends, probably wouldn't even be able to make a real attempt to.

She'd be in a really bad place mentally, get depressed. Maybe even try to hurt herself. "I knew it, I'm not good enough for Kai-chan, I'm not good enough for anyone."

What if the person in front of her had been a real bully? That would have ended everything for her right then.

Good chance the reunion Kai was hoping for wouldn't happen. Bocchi would probably grow to hate her. Even if she did make a couple of friends, she wouldn't want to be friends with Kai again. Or even worse, she wouldn't make any friends and she'd go crawling back to Kai, except she'd be so much worse off than before, and be even more dependent on her.

On the slim chance that she comes out of it better off than before, it didn't need to come at the cost of the mental anguish she endured in the interim. There were so many safer ways Kai could have done this.

And that's what it's really about, safety and risk. This is all hypothetical, so I can't say for sure that it would have been what happened. But it certainly could have been, and with a decent chance, too.
And that was a risk Kai took. She was risking Bocchi's mental health and happiness one-sidedly, without asking her, while ignoring her sobbing and begging. You just don't do that. You can't do stuff to people "for their own good" just because you think you know best, and all at their own detriment!

At first she even decided not to make any friends herself as penance, which was good, but she couldn't even stick to it. If she couldn't stand being lonely, how does she expect Bocchi to cope with it if she isn't able to make friends?

So no, Kai is not a good friend. Good friends don't gamble with other people's happiness and mental health (and maybe even life, if things got bad enough for Bocchi). Things only went well here because it's a story and the author gets to decide what happens, and all the characters are oh so nice and kind. In reality, things don't work out that well and people suck.

Users who are viewing this thread