Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 3-bu 「Ryouchi ni Hon o Hirogeyou!」 - Vol. 7 Ch. 36 - Hasse's Contract

Double-page supporter
I kinda hate this chapter. Really hate it.
In contrary to messiah-like ideal hero/ines coming from another world with abundance of powers, this manga is not that. But with whatever you have, your position, your power, your privilege, you have to make a bargain with that. What you can do is pretty limited. This manga is everything but power fantasy.

Liberating poor orphans isn't as easy as you get rid of the cruel owner. There's circumstances around it that you have to learn, slowly. Even having her own orphanage still costs things and the management so other people won't just know Myne's trade secret. Her managing orphanage in a pretty much modern, sophisticated way still affects the other nobles way to get more slaves.

Especially the reminder that you can't do reform anything instantly unless you want to be condemned as the devil. And guaranteed, Myne doesn't want her family to suffer the consequences of her doing.

Also, I kinda hate that Ferdinand doesn't show any expression of remorse over this situation. Myne learns, yes. But in bigger picture, the world sucks! It kinda paints that Ferdinand doesn't care, despite his position is supposed to enlighten(?) people. I thought he had more heart than that. Or not. Maybe he's being practical, knowing the moral standard he learned from Myne is much different.

Or maybe, the church is just another magical institution, still dedicated for government's profit in the end.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
So nice how the whole problem is that the nobles are not getting their slaves anymore.

I always hated the society depicted in this story and it never gets better. It is even worse that the MC is not even inclined to fight it anymore and just accept and tries to adjust to living in it.

The UIP would have a field day with that world.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
...and she hates it.

A great chapter. Rozemyne is getting the responsibility part of power drilled into her by these events.
More like she is learning what kind of shitshow the nobility is up too.
She has been fairly responsible, even if her lack of common seance is holding her back.
She is also far to trusting and green eyes for her own good, but irresponsible is not what i call it.

Dex-chan lover
This is basically the illustration of "perfect is the enemy of good."

Rozemyne here is learning that trying for the "perfect" answer can exhaust you and your resources as you try to deal with the various consequences... so you have to stick to the "right" answer, which is the best you can do within your limits. Even someone as capable and influencial as Ferdinand can't help her past a certain point. The "perfect" answer would require a massive societal change and she doesn't have the capability to enforce this.

Obviously, she still hates knowing that she has to compromise with widespread corruption.

Dex-chan lover
I think they need to Isekai some French people from 1789 to this world if you catch my drift.

So nice how the whole problem is that the nobles are not getting their slaves anymore.

I always hated the society depicted in this story and it never gets better. It is even worse that the MC is not even inclined to fight it anymore and just accept and tries to adjust to living in it.

And i'll just add to this before someone says "it's another world/time we cant judge them with our modern values", there is numerous contemporary text from elites/intellectuals (often the same) calling slavery abhorrent even in times where the practice was more widespread like in Ancient Greece and Rome (the ones i'm more familiar with).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That last line in this chapter. I fucking feel this in my soul. It sucks being a part of a system of governance that sets some people up to be better off than others and knowing there isn't much you can do about it as an individual. To make sweeping changes, you need a movement and Myne isn't there yet to do it so she can't do anything about it. Fuck, what a soul crushing chapter.

Ah yes I recall reading this in the novel...
and was gutted but the reason it also why I like ascendance of a bookworm; Myne is extremely realistic on what she can and cannot do, as in the end her main priority is keeping her own family safe.

Over time in the novel she becomes more adept in wielding her authority but also becomes more of a loose cannon because she is someone who can literally make the impossible possible by bulldozing through with her connections and innovations whilst maneuvering with a greater team of talents. However, she always gives people the choices that she wasn't given. So all this is very still early days for her.

As for Ferdinand, her story is downright tragic but he truly cares in his own way, he is just brutally efficient and shut off most of his own feelings to achieve a hidden pledge. However, he is loved by a lot of people close to him, Myne literally launches a war with another duchy for him but it will be years before we get there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's assume she fight it. What would realistically happen? She doesn't have enough money to save every orphan in the duchy.
And even if she had, she can't oppose the nobility directly. Not even the Archduke can do that, as evidenced later in the serie, even Sylvester has to be careful how he deals with the various noble factions to avoid beind potentially deposed. (part 5 spoiler)
If she tried to go directly against the nobility to impose her views, that would be akin to acting as the duchy ruler. She would promptly get a reality check from Sylvester and Ferdinand... Don't forget that Rozemyne's status is shaky at best. Sylvester can un-adopt her whenever he wants if she goes too far. And if she tried to go against Sylvester, even after the warnings, Ferdinand would certainly make sure she gets into a quick accident...

Rozemyne NEEDED the help of Sylvester to survive. On the other hand, Sylvester only needs Myne in order to enrich his duchy. If she begins to pose more problems than the money she might bring in later, then there will be no point keeping her.

As others have said, this story is not a power fantasy where you can do whatever you want just by wishing for it. Rozemyne's actions would have consequences, that could threaten her position or even her life, and the lives of her relatives as well.

Dex-chan lover
In contrary to messiah-like ideal hero/ines coming from another world with abundance of powers, this manga is not that. But with whatever you have, your position, your power, your privilege, you have to make a bargain with that. What you can do is pretty limited. This manga is everything but power fantasy.

Liberating poor orphans isn't as easy as you get rid of the cruel owner. There's circumstances around it that you have to learn, slowly. Even having her own orphanage still costs things and the management so other people won't just know Myne's trade secret. Her managing orphanage in a pretty much modern, sophisticated way still affects the other nobles way to get more slaves.

Especially the reminder that you can't do reform anything instantly unless you want to be condemned as the devil. And guaranteed, Myne doesn't want her family to suffer the consequences of her doing.

Also, I kinda hate that Ferdinand doesn't show any expression of remorse over this situation. Myne learns, yes. But in bigger picture, the world sucks! It kinda paints that Ferdinand doesn't care, despite his position is supposed to enlighten(?) people. I thought he had more heart than that. Or not. Maybe he's being practical, knowing the moral standard he learned from Myne is much different.

Or maybe, the church is just another magical institution, still dedicated for government's profit in the end.
a lot of answers to the questions you posed here are explained later on but so far as what was already revealed.
yes the church is just another magical institution. they are responcible for providing the mana necessary to the duchys harvest during the winter ceremonies in the chalises then those are distributed by them to the land owning nobles and the central figure then that is then collected as tax (literal food is distributed) during the fall.
As far as Ferdinand is concerned you have to remember that he was previously under the previous high bishop and couldn't act so openly about anything he wanted to do or situations he could have wanted to be better. he was also always a pragmatic remember that he realised the potential that Myne had and encouraged others to act in a way that would allow her to do that all the while not letting it show in front of others what he was planning (the reason why he was having Karsted adpot her originally and they could cover it up). he works from the shadows and will always hide that which others shouldn't know and that are acording to tradition. he's a very firm centralist knowing when and how to follow tradition and when to abandon it and how to circumvent it while not going to far. Also MAAAAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE ferdinand knows very full well exactly how cruel the world. just as an example Veronica used to poison his meals regularly to the point that he couldn't even enjoy a simple meal that's what the previous half chapter was indicating. if even basic living conditions can be cruel you have to develop an iron stomach in all sences. Ferdinand never had a heart to begin with as was mentioned all he did was use others for himself if that helped them as well then that's great but if it so much as inconvenienced him he wouldn't care to deal with them (that's also the reason why you don't see Arno anymore anywhere in the high priests chambers)

Dex-chan lover
Also MAAAAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE
ferdinand knows very full well exactly how cruel the world. just as an example Veronica used to poison his meals regularly to the point that he couldn't even enjoy a simple meal that's what the previous half chapter was indicating.

Even before that.
He was birthed with expectation to be turned into magic stone (i.e. killed)

It's only due to divine intervention that he lived (the fallout of which ironically become the villain origin story of one of the major villains)

I think they need to Isekai some French people from 1789 to this world if you catch my drift.

The end of the Hasse arc will show you why that wont do anything.

Remember that token that poeple use to register themself s a citizen. It has some extra uses. It can be used to kill you.

unless those french people reincarnate as adults with an unlimited supply of guns and ammo their changes of winning against the nobels of this worlds is 0% i mean even with the guns and ammo its only at best like 5%.
As a finisher wich is why a rebellion will most likely never happen atleast not from the commoners, they need the magic and most of them cant read and even those that do know , know very little about magic and how to use it.

Double-page supporter

Or just the sheer difference of cultures from our World to theirs, for Myne, this is slavery and prostitution, for the nobility, is doing the plebeians a favor, one which they should feel grateful for.

Ferdinand morals and ethics view of the world was shaped in the way of nobility, he grew up being teached those twisted values, his lack of reaction even if it may disgusts him may be due to how much he has seen it happen time and time again.

Like when Myne was quick to judge him about the malnourished orphans in the Temple, Ferdinand told her "then why don't you use your funds to feed them ?" and she went quiet, then he told her to "cease with her pathetic false morality"

This made me realize, Ferdinand do cares about such situations, but he only takes responsibility if he have a plan, instead of being emotional and ruining everything, his plan for the orphans was handing Myne the Director's title and have her to figure a way to get the orphans to fund themselves. And it worked.

a lot of answers to the questions you posed here are explained later on but so far as what was already revealed.
yes the church is just another magical institution. they are responcible for providing the mana necessary to the duchys harvest during the winter ceremonies in the chalises then those are distributed by them to the land owning nobles and the central figure then that is then collected as tax (literal food is distributed) during the fall.
As far as Ferdinand is concerned you have to remember that he was previously under the previous high bishop and couldn't act so openly about anything he wanted to do or situations he could have wanted to be better. he was also always a pragmatic remember that he realised the potential that Myne had and encouraged others to act in a way that would allow her to do that all the while not letting it show in front of others what he was planning (the reason why he was having Karsted adpot her originally and they could cover it up). he works from the shadows and will always hide that which others shouldn't know and that are acording to tradition. he's a very firm centralist knowing when and how to follow tradition and when to abandon it and how to circumvent it while not going to far. Also MAAAAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE ferdinand knows very full well exactly how cruel the world. just as an example Veronica used to poison his meals regularly to the point that he couldn't even enjoy a simple meal that's what the previous half chapter was indicating. if even basic living conditions can be cruel you have to develop an iron stomach in all sences. Ferdinand never had a heart to begin with as was mentioned all he did was use others for himself if that helped them as well then that's great but if it so much as inconvenienced him he wouldn't care to deal with them (that's also the reason why you don't see Arno anymore anywhere in the high priests chambers)
who was Arno?

Dex-chan lover
Unless those french people reincarnate as adults with an unlimited supply of guns and ammo their changes of winning against the nobels of this worlds is 0% i mean even with the guns and ammo its only at best like 5%.
As a finisher wich is why a rebellion will most likely never happen atleast not from the commoners, they need the magic and most of them cant read and even those that do know , know very little about magic and how to use it.
I know that if your adversary can burn you and your family down with like two words rebellion armed rebellion isn't an option, i mean part of the reason both the US and French revolution could happen is because you had a whole class of educated people with no ties to nobility to lead it, here in this world this class barely exist (the merchants for example) but hey a boy can dream :)

Double-page supporter
It's not just the difference in power made the rebellion impossible, but that power itself is the lifeline of everyone. Nobles are nobles because they can supply mana to maintain magic that protecting the land and make it arable. Without magic, the land will become barren in no time, and magic beast/plant can wipe out the whole population. That's why the noble society put a heavy emphasis on mana level, for a legit reason at that.

Users who are viewing this thread