HOPE

If I remember this one correctly, it was actually quite decent, if you like this kind of drama.

I think it's one of those that are worth reading once, but never really feel like reading again. Not because it's so-so, but it's heart-rending in a tropey kind of way (but not a bad way necessarily).

It's a cute drama. It has the potential to be longer. It motivated me to follow my dreams when I don't have any dreams lol

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, I didn't liked this. The ending feels unfinished, there's too many unresolved issues, and the payoff just isn't right.

I’m surprised at how good this manga is. At first I was only going to read one chapter but it was so compelling that I ended up completing the whole thing in one sitting.

I agree that there were some subplots that felt like they weren’t fully resolved...
Like we never find out what happened with Yuu nii-chan (I really wanted to see his drawings of her). Or what happened to her friend in HS who was also an aspiring mangaka.
However, it was honestly refreshing to see that there were no romance developments between the MC and the male characters like what would typically happen in other shoujo mangas. It felt rather realistic in that sense. Although I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little sad about it.

At the end of the day, this manga is about Yumeno’s journey to become a mangaka and realize her dream. And it never deviates from that purpose.

Regarding the rape,
I am glad the author didn’t show the actual rape and made it so that readers have to infer themselves. However, I was disappointed at how we never saw the perpetrators get punished for it. Though, even that felt realistic as even in real life most of the time victims are unable to speak up because of the victim blaming (especially in a country like Japan). And how many rapists get away with minimal sentencing, if at all. This article perfectly encapsulates this subject. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...fting-attitudes-toward-sexual-violence-japan/

Anyway, I am very thankful for the translation note at the end of chapter 15 because I did not fully understand the connection and the symbolism behind Yumeno’s “Tsubomi & Hana” story to her assault until after I read it! It made Yumeno’s win against the two-faced bitch THAT much more impactful. It also showed us just how strong she is, and how she will never back down from her dreams.

Overall, I felt that Yumeno was a wonderful protagonist. I just loved how she used her raw emotions to convey her feelings through her artwork to reach her readers. I feel like the creator of HOPE is also skilled in that sense because all of the emotions, ambitions, and struggles faced by Yumeno definitely reached me. I highly recommend this to everyone! (But you should definitely avoid it if darker themes such as rape and bullying is a trigger for you).

Users who are viewing this thread