Horimiya - Vol. 17 Ch. 123 - Prologue

Dex-chan lover
To say you cringed at my work, and then follow it with a "no offense" kind of beats the whole "I don't mean to offend you" thing as saying things like that can, and will, offend the person in question. I'm a one person team, so it's only natural I make mistakes here and there. Besides, what made you "cringe" exactly?

I would say there's a difference between making mistakes, and another thing to say that being a one person team is your reason for said mistakes. It's really not. There are definitely one person teams who can scanalate without making many noticeable or big mistakes. Like right aligned text just looking/feeling awkward to look at it. Weird spacing in said text in that it doesn't follow the bubble's curves. If you're going to be trying to do tlts a manga that's already being done by another group, you can at least go the extra effort to make it look AS nice as the other one, otherwise its just so bad in comparison.

Its especially the case when you have a page that follows the diamond shaping idea, but the other ones are just so off putting I can't tell if this was a serious attempt or you did it as fast as possible and barely checked yourself before uploading.

Also having the last tl'd page go "Let's see a different time" just sounds like a weird translation. They weren't looking at their parent's generation, they were alive during this "different time". TSP's "lets peak inside" or 41minutescans "once again" makes more sense in the context and sounds more natively English.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
There's nothing "wrong" with people as people are free to translate what they like. Yes, other scanlation groups may be also translating it but they do not own the series, so to speak. I translated it as closely to the original as I possibly could, so there's no correct or wrong way of translating. I simply do not understand your rudeness.
Issue is that having multiple translators when a series is okay often can make things worse..

There are countless series out there, and we don't need translators poaching translations...

It's the manners of the translation community. Unless if the translations are really bad, you let the original group do them unless if they take too long... it's basically considered rude to do so otherwise and can be considered disrespectful.

There are countless stories out there that need translators.. using your translation for series that need more translators would be the better choice.

Dex-chan lover
You people all get so rabid over this shit

It's not that serious, calm tf down lol
It's all a part of our fandom culture.. sniping a translation is considered a very rude act.

Especially since we need more people translating more series.. so when multiple translators are fighting for a series, it means less translations...

Group Leader
There's nothing "wrong" with people as people are free to translate what they like. Yes, other scanlation groups may be also translating it but they do not own the series, so to speak. I translated it as closely to the original as I possibly could, so there's no correct or wrong way of translating. I simply do not understand your rudeness.
Here's a thought. Translate something that has no groups translating it. That way you don't overlap and actually help the community.

I got a maaad question
86834d18d8ca2659682a09fb1e57fa5e.png

How did this get right aligned of all alignments? Like I can understand left, shit usually defaults to that, but how did this get right aligned?
I actually didn’t notice that, so thank you for pointing it out! I must’ve had it set to right aligned when I had it open in Photoshop. @_@

It's all a part of our fandom culture.. sniping a translation is considered a very rude act.

Especially since we need more people translating more series.. so when multiple translators are fighting for a series, it means less translations...
No one is really fighting, though… If anything, it feels like the community is making it happen. It’s not like I’ve had a message from the other groups to stop translating?

Group Leader
People translate what they feel passionate about, it’s that simple TBH.
Before you go ahead and scanlate something, you should make sure someone else isn't already working on it. Otherwise, yeah, it's kinda pointless if that something is already done by someone else (especially if it's of better quality). Otherwise, you get tolded off by fans of a series.

Power Uploader
So, I don't get why you did this... First of all the QL is lower than the main group and no idea what you did on page 4 all text is centerd to the right... Like other people said translate something that is not translated. We have countless manga in need of TL. Groups are begging for help and it is just silly to see 3 groups trying to do one manga. You are right that people translated what they like but there is no need to TL something if it is already being translated.

No, scanlation groups don't own the story but if a group is working on it you don't translate it or wait around 3 months for no update to do your own. It is just a decent thing to do and it is not that there is little left to translate. In the end, stuff like this feels pointless.

Look for a manga you like that needs to be translated and do that! People will love it otherwise you will get a bunch of backlash like now.

Dex-chan lover
I actually didn’t notice that, so thank you for pointing it out! I must’ve had it set to right aligned when I had it open in Photoshop. @_@
This kinda goes into the issue I stated before. Its one thing to tlts a work that's already got someone on it, but its another when the quality of the work you output is significantly less comparative to what's already been released. I can understand wanting to tlts a series because you are passionate about it, as well as doing it if you want to practice translating or typesetting, but if you're going to do so without the care to check yourself, you'll only bring ire to yourself because people actively care.

Dex-chan lover
I think you guys are overreacting. It's not like TSP is going to drop Horimiya because of him, and it's also not like he's DetectiveAme editing the yuri out. Just don't read this translation and move on.

Double-page supporter
I think in general that's why it's common courtesy to give 3 months before taking over.
Sometimes a manga isn't updated for ages but a new group still gets bullied by fans of old one to drop the series, so we have to wait for chapters once again. Gamer Girl a good example.

Supporter

It's not sniping if they translated a already scanlated chapter. If he had released a new chapter before TSP then I would take issue with that.

I hate the idea that there are series that need translations go translate that. This is a hobby people work on what they like we aren't robots that can go do another series.

Dex-chan lover
It's not sniping if they translated a already scanlated chapter. If he had released a new chapter before TSP then I would take issue with that.

I hate the idea that there are series that need translations go translate that. This is a hobby people work on what they like we aren't robots that can go do another series.
True, but we also have people who translated before us and every translator who did the work is already a gift.

So it's a sign of disrespect in our fandom to do such a thing.

We aren't just hobbiest, we are a community. We read, we share our opinions, some of us even translate.

This is our culture and community and we should be supporting and helping each other. Giving back if and when we can.

It's not just a hobby, it's a community, a group, a culture.

And in our fandom culture, it's considered a rude act.

Users who are viewing this thread