Horobi no Kuni no Seifukusha - Vol. 4 Ch. 17 - Darkness Of The Royal Capital

Hello guys, I just spoke to some moderators at mangadex and also emailed the OFFICIAL PUBLISHER about the renewal of the series, and I found that the publishers have no set date to when VOLUME 4 of this manga would be licensed. The folks at mangadex clarified to me that I can continue scanlating, BUT, can receive a legal notice and they can't help me in that matter.

The publishers also didn't confirm to whether they would drop it and gave a vague statement about it starting pre-publication on the site.

I will be honest with everyone, as much as I like to scanlate this manga, I am also afraid of a legal notice. Hence, I will be dropping this manga ONCE AGAIN :angery:

I know many will be upset and angry at me for just coming back to T/L a few chapters and leave, but I don't want to risk anything, specially if it's with a big company.
In the future if there is an official confirmation that the publication has dropped the manga, I will be the first one to scanlate it and present it to the readers.

Until then, I hope all of you have a good time.
Bruh you realize that it doesn't matter if an "OFFICIAL PUBLISHER" exists at this moment or not, because scanlation is illegal either way.

This is how it has always been, but no one drops series just due to being scared of a "legal notice" before they even get one, only after they recieve it or never lol.

But if you really think this is too much for you then just ask another scan group to upload your releases in their name, or straight up join some group so you can get their help, because I'm sure a lot of groups wouldn't mind doing that.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's not about trying to make her more sad, it is about instilling the lesson that she shouldn't stalk people personally and instead sic her spies - or even assassins - on people she wants to know what they are up to. As is, it seems the only lesson she is taking home is that there are slums filled with dirty, disabled, and overall mean people who happily resorts to crime for gold (then depending on how empathic she is, she will either want to clean them away, or she will want to help them so they aren't living like that).
Again, he doesn't care much for her at this point to be doing that, at his core, Yuri is a selfish man.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the scans! Take care.
I wonder if he'll do anything about the guy who kidnapped them. It wasn't personal - they just captured nobles for a ransom - and it's not like there aren't others who don't do the same. I also assume that pursuing these guys in the slums isn't going to be productive. He might start by sending someone to investigate and gather intel. I guess we'll have to see if it moves on to something else.
I assume that, among other things, it's not a good idea for the princess to admit what happened because it would lead to tighter restrictions around her. It's hardly great for royalty to admit their princess was kidnapped in their royal capital. And how would they retaliate? Storm the slums with soldiers? I would say it was very fortunate for everyone involved that they managed to escape unharmed.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for trying to bring this back up again. It sucks that the official license owners of this manga adap are ridiculously indecisive of this title (they are probably still gauging if they can make money moving forward) - I actually wish they would just drop it and let other more dedicated publishers take on the license.

Welp, I guess we'll just have to wait for some aggregate site to provide the scans of the next volume --- if ever the official publisher do continue to keep for the license.
Will just have to continue with the raws then.

Supporter
Hello guys, I just spoke to some moderators at mangadex and also emailed the OFFICIAL PUBLISHER about the renewal of the series, and I found that the publishers have no set date to when VOLUME 4 of this manga would be licensed. The folks at mangadex clarified to me that I can continue scanlating, BUT, can receive a legal notice and they can't help me in that matter.

The publishers also didn't confirm to whether they would drop it and gave a vague statement about it starting pre-publication on the site.

I will be honest with everyone, as much as I like to scanlate this manga, I am also afraid of a legal notice. Hence, I will be dropping this manga ONCE AGAIN :angery:

I know many will be upset and angry at me for just coming back to T/L a few chapters and leave, but I don't want to risk anything, specially if it's with a big company.
In the future if there is an official confirmation that the publication has dropped the manga, I will be the first one to scanlate it and present it to the readers.

Until then, I hope all of you have a good time.
Legal notices although depending on the degree of the crime and the content shared, should be mostly of a cease and desist notice for scanlating manga. I havent heard if with scanlating manga a fine is given so if someone knows it would be welcome, seeing as how many scanlations sites and content is being shared.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah I pretty much agree with everyone here: keep working on it until you get a warning. Or go find someone who lives in a country where they gonna think DMCA is a name of drug.

Dex-chan lover
I will be honest with everyone, as much as I like to scanlate this manga, I am also afraid of a legal notice.
My man, it's J-Novel Club. That place is slowly dying because they vastly overextended themselves by licensing too many titles for their staff to handle. (Which is exactly why they haven't been working on this title.) The only lawyers they're gonna have will be bankruptcy lawyers because they're being crushed by the overhead of owning publishing rights for all those titles. As it is, they already sold off a bunch of their licenses to Azuki Manga, and Azuki strikes me as being pretty chill.

And JNC is not a big fish at all. If they really were a big fish, then they wouldn't be having issues keeping up with their licensed titles. Big fish are outfits like Seven Seas, Dark Horse Manga, Square Enix, Image Comics, IDW, Tokyopop, VIZ Media, and Yen Press just to name a few.

And out of the ones I listed, the one publisher most likely to take legal action is Square Enix. And mainly because they can afford to have actual lawyers on their payroll.

Trust me. Most of these guys won't even bother because it is very much like the analogy of trying to swat a fly with a sledge hammer because they actually have to pay a legal team to send out C&D's.

Now, if you were doing scanslation as a means to earn a living, then you're a lot more likely to draw unwanted attention.

Dex-chan lover
Didn't know j-novel was the one that picked it up, in fact I didn't even know they have manga division.
You would be fine, the worst they can do is asking MD to take down your scanlation, which isn't going to be directly to you.

Dex-chan lover
People have no right to be angry about this: it's your ass, this is something you are doing as a hobby and graciously sharing with the internet for free, and anyone disagrees can go translate it themselves. Hell, you are even following the original code of scanslator ethics by dropping it...

TL;DR: Don't let anyone give you shit over this, and thanks for what you put out already.

Group Leader
My man, it's J-Novel Club. That place is slowly dying because they vastly overextended themselves by licensing too many titles for their staff to handle. (Which is exactly why they haven't been working on this title.) The only lawyers they're gonna have will be bankruptcy lawyers because they're being crushed by the overhead of owning publishing rights for all those titles. As it is, they already sold off a bunch of their licenses to Azuki Manga, and Azuki strikes me as being pretty chill.

And JNC is not a big fish at all. If they really were a big fish, then they wouldn't be having issues keeping up with their licensed titles. Big fish are outfits like Seven Seas, Dark Horse Manga, Square Enix, Image Comics, IDW, Tokyopop, VIZ Media, and Yen Press just to name a few.

And out of the ones I listed, the one publisher most likely to take legal action is Square Enix. And mainly because they can afford to have actual lawyers on their payroll.

Trust me. Most of these guys won't even bother because it is very much like the analogy of trying to swat a fly with a sledge hammer because they actually have to pay a legal team to send out C&D's.

Now, if you were doing scanslation as a means to earn a living, then you're a lot more likely to draw unwanted attention.
Yeah, i'll wait for a few weeks and then take a decision.

People have no right to be angry about this: it's your ass, this is something you are doing as a hobby and graciously sharing with the internet for free, and anyone disagrees can go translate it themselves. Hell, you are even following the original code of scanslator ethics by dropping it...

TL;DR: Don't let anyone give you shit over this, and thanks for what you put out already.
There was no such code lol
Or at least it didn't involve stepping down because someone else decided to make money off something you did for free.

I hope there's a character development for Carol, I know she's still a child, but I can't stand her personally.

Especially when she's the FMC.

Dex-chan lover
There was no such code lol
Or at least it didn't involve stepping down because someone else decided to make money off something you did for free.

Ah, I must have been hallucinating that groups regularly dropped series when they got licensed back in the mid 2000s. Oh, wait, no I didn't!
Early generations of scanlators usually dropped series that got licensed.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, I must have been hallucinating that groups regularly dropped series when they got licensed back in the mid 2000s. Oh, wait, no I didn't!
This is true, mainly because early scanslators felt they accomplished their goal. That being: generate enough interest in a title that a publisher will purchase a licensing agreement to translate and distribute the work in their area.

Of course, back then, online publishing wasn't as big of a thing even though that's primarily how scanslators did things.

But now? Online is the preferred method, and not just because it's cheaper. It's also so they can restrict who can read their licensed titles by using a person's IP address so that only people in their publishing region can read the titles. No matter if they wish to be a paying customer or not. Meaning that if someone wants to read their releases, they have to use a VPN to do so.

What's more is that Crunchyroll has already indicated which way the business is going to go from here on out. They've already started using AI to generate the subs on their anime titles, and are working their way towards voice generation as well, completely cutting out translators and voice actors. Eventually, they hope to have things to the point where they just chuck the anime at an AI, no need for even a time-stamped script, and have it spit out a completely translated title, both subbed and dubbed.

But you can bet your ass they won't lower their subscription fees. They might even raise them, claiming some lunacy like, "CPU time for AI work is so expensive!"

What's more is how the business model of licensing typically works. You see, most licensing contracts make no accounting of how many copies of the translated title are sold. They don't really care because they're not the ones printing, distributing, and promoting those translated editions. The original publishers in Japan have absolutely no skin in that game, and they like it that way.

This ultimately means that not only are the number of copies sold are not counted by the publisher in Japan (this number being a big determining factor in whether a series gets axed or not), the mangaka also doesn't really see much of your money. The original publishers pretty much pockets all the licensing fees and walk away whistling. Maybe if they're being generous, the mangaka will get a little bit of those licensing fees.

This is why I'm such a big proponent of continued scanslation. The business model as it is now only serves to maximize profits for the publishers at both ends, the mangaka benefits very little, and people are excluded just because they live in the UK or the EU, and not in North America.

Furthermore, there's the risks involved in scanslation... which are virtually nil. Most licensing publishers won't go after individual scanslators because it's too much of an expense for too little reward. Like I said before, it's the legal equivalent of using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. The most an individual scanslator will get is a Cease And Desist. Which means that if they drop the title right then and there, then all is good. It is incredibly rare (as in, you're more likely to get struck by lightning while also being attacked by a shark) for a publisher to go after an individual with a lawsuit right off the bat, and that sort of thing is usually reserved for aggregator sites. And even then, they'll usually start off with a C&D, because lawyers and court fees are expensive.

Of course, that's just my two cents on the matter. :boomer:

Oh no not the wiki page written by literally 5 people.
Some groups dropped series and some didn't, but this barely had anything to do with "ethics" and more with not duplicating work.
Besides even the wiki you linked claims that this was considered standard only before ~2005, which was back when publishers actually cared.

Dex-chan lover
Oh no not the wiki page written by literally 5 people.
Some groups dropped series and some didn't, but this barely had anything to do with "ethics" and more with not duplicating work.
Besides even the wiki you linked claims that this was considered standard only before ~2005, which was back when publishers actually cared.
The thing that I like about this post is that the first half of it handwaves away what I was saying (without, of course, offering anything even as much as a "wiki page written by literally 5 people" to back up what you are saying), while the second half implicitly accepts what I was saying WAS THE STANDARD while ignoring my original posts wording of "ORIGINAL code of scanslator ethics".

Users who are viewing this thread