Hotel Metsäpeura e Youkoso

Dex-chan lover
Very cute manga. As a Finnish person I can say this manga is quite accurate. The names can be a bit strange but they're not completely wrong, and the hotel chapters are so typically "European" that you could set the manga in Switzerland and there would be almost no difference.

However the Finland specific things are lovingly crafted and accurate, although viewed through a distinctly Japanese lens which is amusing to read through.

Group Leader
Unfortunately most all the names are only written in katakana so a lot of it is just me doing a lot of research because I know absolutely no Finnish whatsoever. (Did you know the Finnish government has a searchable list of common last names? Very helpful)

If you see anything that seems inaccurate, please let me know so I can fix it!

Dex-chan lover
Lovely manga, thanks for the translation. I really love these kinds of works that are just "I love my gay chungus son", especially if it's found family.

Dex-chan lover
Unfortunately most all the names are only written in katakana so a lot of it is just me doing a lot of research because I know absolutely no Finnish whatsoever. (Did you know the Finnish government has a searchable list of common last names? Very helpful)

If you see anything that seems inaccurate, please let me know so I can fix it!
Ah, I meant that the choice of names is quite strange for Finland from the authors part, as choices of names like "Aadolf" or "Kustaa" or "Klaus" are all vaguely "european" instead of strictly Finnish. Of course someone could have those names in Finland, but they're definitely rare.

"Aadolf" is the Finnish phonetic way spelling the german name "Adolf", and while quite unheard of nowadays an old person could indeed be named that. I suppose all the aforementioned names are strictly "old person names" so they might not be that strange at all in hindsight.

Last edited:
Group Leader
"Aadolf" is the Finnish phonetic way spelling the german name "Adolf", and while quite unheard of nowadays an old person could indeed be named that. I suppose all the aforementioned names are strictly "old person names" so they might not be that strange at all in hindsight.

Oh, that explains why sometimes it's spelled with two A's and sometimes with one. Thank you, I was wondering about that.

It also explains why I'm having a tricky time finding Finnish spellings for these names. If they're just generic European then that actually helps a lot.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, that explains why sometimes it's spelled with two A's and sometimes with one. Thank you, I was wondering about that.

It also explains why I'm having a tricky time finding Finnish spellings for these names. If they're just generic European then that actually helps a lot.
I have to quickly add that "Aadolf" is indeed a name that Finnish men had before 1940's or so when nobody understood how to pronounce foreign words. It's essentially the "Finnish katakana" version. Finnish in general is somewhat similar to japanese with how the moras work, so use that to your advantage. Read any finnish word like it's romaji and you'll be 90% accurate.

Anyone born after 1940s would likely just be named "Adolf" (though not a popular name for obvious reasons). So Aadolf's name is accurate considering his age. Kustaa however is almost 1800's type of name, but not unheard of.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread