I am the Final Boss

Plz update more I've been waiting for chapter 4 forever! Thank you plz continue! ?

Aggregator gang
man this sucks,
found something kinda good and turns out is another "wait forever for updates" genre

Why did this get posted here? It looks identical to https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/i-am-the-final-boss/list?title_no=124083

isn't this therefore being produced in English, and thus not a thing we allow posting?

Power Uploader
@duodecimus : I think in this case it's allowed because the poster (unless it's a fake account and profile) of the chapters is the author himself.

So, about this series… although it's classified as isekai in the genres, it's a curious mixture of isekai and game reality. The catch is that the protag thinks he's in a game, but is actually in an alternative world. I normally dislike the isekai genre, but that doesn't mean I don't recognise a nice twist when I see one.

And this is one of these cases. I spotted it in Naver a few months ago and was seriously disappointed when I realised the author was just testing the waters and not serialising it regularly.

I say that because I find the premise promising. The series doesn't take itself too seriously, even poking fun at isekai tropes from the very beginning. And while it's not the first time we see a protag being the "villain", the execution has been interesting. I find the main character and the heroine engaging characters, but I'd have to see more to make an informed judgement. And the demon lords overseeing it are also a clever narrative device, not to mention the fact that their chemistry is great. The whole idea of it all being some scam to make the protag take their place is also fun and makes the reader want to learn how things will turn out on that front.

Chapter 4 was a little awkward. The narrative was broken relative to the smooth progression of the first three chapters. It feels like the author's trying to make the plot advance faster, perhaps because he's after more viewers. (Which may also be the reason he posted his webtoon here.) However, it's not a major problem, and I also liked the fact that there's a language barrier between the protag and the heroine: it's a touch of realism that may lead the protag to realise this is not a game later on. We'll see.

I think I'll be following this. It's not stale, it's not a self-insert, and there's good balance of narrative elements. Nothing sounds too forced. The humour is good, and the art is not stellar, but good enough, which is saying a lot about an artist who's making his debut.

I dislike isekai as much as I love game reality (DICE, Darwin's Game and I am mob are manga and webtoons I treasure). This one blends both. I'm definitely curious, if not hooked yet.

Group Leader
https://iamthefinalboss.com/
https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/i-am-the-final-boss/list?title_no=124083&page=1

For anyone wondering, don't bother beginning the series. The author hasn't posted a new chapter in over 2 years at the time of making this comment and expects people to fund each chapter. Looking at the RAW website, it shows that the current $121 USD funded is only 11% of the total goal; that means they're expecting $1100 in total for the next episode alone.

I don't think the author realizes that in order to make money off making webcomics, you need to actually make the webcomics. Support follows creation; not the other way around. You can't just tell people that you'll make more chapters if, and only if, they give you money.

For anyone wondering, don't bother beginning the series. The author hasn't posted a new chapter in over 2 years at the time of making this comment and expects people to fund each chapter. Looking at the RAW website, it shows that the current $121 USD funded is only 11% of the total goal; that means they're expecting $1100 in total for the next episode alone.

I don't think the author realizes that in order to make money off making webcomics, you need to actually make the webcomics. Support follows creation; not the other way around. You can't just tell people that you'll make more chapters if, and only if, they give you money.
Hi, I'm the author. First of all, thank you for reading and showing interest and giving me the opportunity to clarify some things. The per-episode donation goal isn't something that must be reached for me to continue working; it's a way to help people understand and co-relate with the effort and time needed to produce a webcomic or webtoon chapter, especially in genres often compared to studio production quality. It's unfair to expect the same release schedule as those working full-time in a studio manned by a team, I'm just one guy.

Secondly, every creator's situation is different irl, financially and mentally, which greatly affects how much time they can dedicate to projects requiring full-time commitment. Even in studio production, many work up to 14 hours a day. Moreover, with so much content available, I don't want to support a culture where creators feel pressured and manipulated to continually produce for free, only to face more pressure from algorithms and audiences. You may be right about not asking for money upfront before "producing" the webcomic, but I've seen too many examples of creators working tirelessly and breaking themselves, hoping to "convince" people to trust and support them for YEARS without much success, and I'm certainly won't put the expectation where people will FINALLY support me after putting out 100 chapters.

In the real world, every service requires payment before it's rendered (e.g. food and beverage, maintenance, products etc). Modern consumerism has conditioned us to consume without considering the effort required to produce, and for me, it's disheartening to see the declining conditions in the webcomics space. Somehow at the back of my mind, if I were to mindlessly produce content and eventually receive the support I desire, it would be a disservice to other creators who have worked harder and seen no return on their efforts simply because content seems so "easy" to come by these days, the product of that will only further feed into the toxic culture I mentioned and even for me, I have no solution to this problem other than not letting external pressure affecting my own craftsmanship. Please change my mind on this, it's one of the reasons why I go on to a long hiatus just trying to understand my own burnout.

That said, I've been working silently all this while and I'm ending my hiatus this year and will be releasing the next chapter in a few days because it's still my passion, and I have many emotional events and themes to explore in this series, it's a worthy journey even for me as I'm bringing all the characters to life. For anyone interested in being the first to know when it's release, subscribe to my mailing list on the official site.

And if you truly love any indie webcomics or artists out there, remember to show your support; it doesn't have to be mine. Your trust to the development and seeing the growth in things you believe in goes for a long 2-sided-way.

Cheers to those who are reading this and understanding with much gratefulness. 😌🙏

Here's a sneak peak.

KaY9AM4.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread