I Became a Childhood Friend of a Mid-Level Boss - Ch. 24

Double-page supporter
Haneul which is meant to be the focus of the whole Manhwa is treated more as an convenient plot device in my opinion.

She is barely show within the manhwa, and when she is present, the plot doesn't move forward, it seems like a "filler episode". There is no build up towards her "dark side" thing which is meant to be the story main plot.

For example, in Star Wars: Clone Wars, Anakin struggles with the Jedi council and many of his actions can be seen that build to his "change" over time, something similar is so easy to be done here and get the Kyunwoo to notice such patterns and intervene to lead her to "the good path".

Oh well, perhaps this isn't the type of manhwa in which I should be expecting to take itself seriously, I mean, the manhwa name is "I Became a Childhood Friend of a Mid-Level Boss" yet such childhood friend seems more like an extra.

Double-page supporter
Agreed. Tired of these milquetoast MCs falling over themselves at every sob story.

The fact they saw fit to have someone else write the letter instead of being sincere and asking him straight up in person makes me think they're not really interested in playing nice, they're just latching onto MC because he's the new strong guy on the block. And it's a gamble that paid off because the MC is a nice guy idiot.

EDIT: And, like others said: we are 24 chapters in and aside from the initial setup and some brief hangout montage, the MC has done absolutely nothing with Haneul.

Exactly my thoughts, Haneul which should be his main focus is treated more like an extra, and when she is actually in some scenes all what happens is some filler content, nothing meaningful occurs, like, in past chapters the MC got himself a cool sword and training, I was like, "Okay, cool, so next we will have Haneul improving in some way shape or form right" but nah, when we get scenes with her is just some filler cliche drama that leads up nowhere, all for a predictable punchline about the letter not being a 'love letter'.

Where Haneul fits into this ? NOWHERE, if she had showed up or not during the whole chapter, the scenes would've played out the same.

The more I think about it, it seems more as if Haneul doesn't exist, I mean, think about it like this, let's say that Haneul scenes were edited, removing her put of the scenes and without Kyunwoo dialogues with her, tell me, besides him looking for a teacher to train her, what real impact she had to the overall story ?

Dex-chan lover
personally not a big fan of the decision to not just forgive but also sponsor the bullies. it's like indirectly rewarding them for their bad behavior. especially since, according to the original plot of the game, the bullies would have continued to physically and mentally absue MC for another few years till he met the protagonist.

the bullying was done under order of the other cousin (arguably even threat, as seen in this chapter once the other cousin decide to discard them he just kick them out of the training school which was the same threat MC dropped on them)

also if you want to use the logic of 'in the og' then Haneul don't deserve to be saved because she's a potential to bad end? Should the MC just secretly kill her off to snip that future threat?

Dex-chan lover
You can tell most readers here are not used to Korean manhwa or SOL series. You need to actually have some patience, which I know many manga readers tend to lack.
it's been 24 (TWENTY FOUR !!!!!!!!!!) chapters man, i'm not sure but that might be 24 WEEKS. That's FIVE MONTHS AND A HALF. How much longer do we have to fucking wait man

Double-page supporter
it's been 24 (TWENTY FOUR !!!!!!!!!!) chapters man, i'm not sure but that might be 24 WEEKS. That's FIVE MONTHS AND A HALF. How much longer do we have to fucking wait man
So what if it has been 24 chapters! This manhwa is an adaptation of a web novel. It's always 1 novel chapter = 5 to 10+ manga/manhwa chapters.

We'll have too wait the amount of time needed. Or would you prefer the artist to rush the story ?

Dex-chan lover
the bullying was done under order of the other cousin (arguably even threat, as seen in this chapter once the other cousin decide to discard them he just kick them out of the training school which was the same threat MC dropped on them)

also if you want to use the logic of 'in the og' then Haneul don't deserve to be saved because she's a potential to bad end? Should the MC just secretly kill her off to snip that future threat?
I really don't see how MC doing nothing for the triplets is equivalent to murdering the child version of Haneul.

Also, I was talking about the character of the triplets as shown in current timeline and prospective game's timeline actions. All of their actions suggest that they are completely self-serving. To the point where they would literally abuse or use MC depending on what would serve them best. I was simply stating my disagreement with rewarding that type of self-serving behavior, which I feel like MC is basically doing by sponsoring them.

Dex-chan lover
I really don't see how MC doing nothing for the triplets is equivalent to murdering the child version of Haneul.

Also, I was talking about the character of the triplets as shown in current timeline and prospective game's timeline actions. All of their actions suggest that they are completely self-serving. To the point where they would literally abuse or use MC depending on what would serve them best. I was simply stating my disagreement with rewarding that type of self-serving behavior, which I feel like MC is basically doing by sponsoring them.

Same idea of nipping problem in the bud just because you assume their behaviors won't change based on 'the future'.

But as for your other point, it's already been established they only started the bullying BECAUSE of the cousin's order back in ch 3 (they couldn't even attend the training school without that sponsorship)
They're kids that basically have to follow whatever 'the boss' tell them because as we've seen it's easy for them to just get ditched.
They're not as smart as you'd think, definitely not 'literally abuse or use MC depending on what would serve them best' level.

In fact BECAUSE they're idiots these types tend to become the most loyal once you've earned their actual loyalty.

Dex-chan lover
Agreed. Tired of these milquetoast MCs falling over themselves at every sob story.

The fact they saw fit to have someone else write the letter instead of being sincere and asking him straight up in person makes me think they're not really interested in playing nice, they're just latching onto MC because he's the new strong guy on the block. And it's a gamble that paid off because the MC is a nice guy idiot.

EDIT: And, like others said: we are 24 chapters in and aside from the initial setup and some brief hangout montage, the MC has done absolutely nothing with Haneul.
i disagree the value of having them on my side outweighs revenge.

Ugh, I’m dropping. WHY are you going to PAY to keep your bullies in school??!?! If you are so desperate for charity, why aren’t you going out and spending that money on someone who actually DESERVES IT, like the beastmen who are apparently being discriminated against? It’s not even like they have some great strategic value, they are just cannon fodder.

When will we get an mc who deals with bullies in a mature, realistic manner?~ (reporting them, using your influence to get them expelled, forgetting them because they are dirt who don’t matter to your grand destiny?)

Users who are viewing this thread