I Became a Childhood Friend of a Mid-Level Boss - Ch. 27

Dex-chan lover
i get that you can pre-upload your chapter here and that's great and all for uploaders but as a reader there should be at least a marker to know that before i click it and not when i clicked it

Dex-chan lover
Great news, the main story is now beginning and the childhood friend isn't going to disappear for a bunch of chapters like before. The previous arc was the MC fixing the flaws in his Gift because if he didn't, every single subsequent battle would literally be him cowering in bushes or something.

The timeskip in this chapter and the previous chapters skipped some important stuff that I think is important to fill in.

The clan the MC is part of is technically nobility and as such highly values pedigree. This will rear its ugly head multiple times in the story, especially because Haneul is an Ain and orphan of unknown lineage. MC's mother is a commoner who was saved from a monster attack by MC's father. The two quickly fell in love but the head of the family forbid marriage. He eventually relented after MC's father begged on his hands and knees. However, MC's father is the fifth son so his already low standing in the family fell even harder because of marriage to a commoner, especially because it was against the family's policy. In fact, Haneul was shocked by how big Kyunwoo's house was but the other families in the clan live in even more luxurious residences as befitting the pecking order.

MC's mother still had to try to fulfill the responsibilities like forming alliances and connections with other prominent families (to improve her husband's position) at gatherings but that was impossible from the start. She would be left in tears on the way home because the only thing other noble ladies were interested in was demeaning her with various derogatory remarks like "How does it feel to marry above your status?", "The only noteworthy thing about you is your face", "You used to work as a clerk? Here I thought you were a prost- I mean a hostess!", or "What was the Young Master thinking when he married you? He needs his vision checked."

The humiliation did not end there. The match that reversed the fates of MC and the male cousin was in front of the whole family. After MC accidentally injured the cousin by drawing blood and was then surprise attacked, no one stopped the match. MC's mother could only watch as MC was humiliated in front of the entire family. To rub salt in the wound, she had to apologize to the cousin's mother for MC being hopeless with a sword and causing an injury. The result of all this was the bullying and humiliation we see prior to MC recovering his memories.

Now that MC has taken a stand, the other families have their attention on him to try and knock him back down. His comeback is interpreted as a return to the fight for succession. This is why the head of the family confronts MC's father in the previous chapter and even volunteers to take care of Kyunwoo in his stead in order to protect him from the other families. Up to this point MC's father had been very passive in how he handled the fight for succession. He was only interested in making sure his immediate family was happy but that won't work now that MC has kicked the hornet's nest. Whether he liked it or not, to protect MC from the interference of the other families, he had to show he wasn't going to just let them have their way. Both he and his wife only wanted Kyunwoo to grow up as a nice, considerate boy and that was his natural personality anyways. But this is not a personality suited for a noble family that has succession struggles. The family head even accuses the father of being the one holding his entire family back.

MC standing up for himself and sparking that brawl convinced MC's mother to stand up for herself too. She could not tolerate her own weakness and inability to protect her son anymore. She decided to cut her hair short to show her resolve to not accept any further humiliation from the other noble ladies (in that brawl her long hair kept getting grabbed). MC's father was the last to finally resolve himself to climb higher thanks to the family head's lecture. This is also why MC thought the letter was a duel letter. He was keenly aware that after what he showed off at the family gathering he was going to be targeted. The manhwa left that part out to make him look dense but in the novel he very clearly outlined his reasons for assuming it was a duel.

Now the next important tidbit is that since MC's father has climbed up the social hierarchy, he can exercise more power. Of course, MC requested that he and Haneul be placed in the same class for their entire time in school. This would not have been possible before and it's actually important to Haneul growing closer with Kyunwoo and more confident in herself. She doesn't realize he pulled strings to do this and totally thinks it's fate.

Another bit is Mongshil dying. We got a panel in the manhwa but there's a big development here that was skipped over. Haneul tries to cheer Kyunwoo up by singing a rabbit-themed lullaby and letting him touch her tail. The tail is very sensitive and important. He's very knowledgeable about rabbit biology (and just basic pet behavior) so the significance of this gesture is not lost on him. He really appreciates it and him stroking it basically becomes their first act of intimacy. I cannot believe the manhwa skipped this. Read the MTL here.

Also not sure if the next chapter will include this bit so I will spoiler it. Throughout the entirety of middle school, Kyunwoo never once received a confession. This leads him to develop the impression that Do Kyunwoo has no sex appeal. Even in his own eyes, he doesn't look dependable in the slightest but that's also due to him remembering the game's characterization. This is also why he spends so much time training. It's not just to overcome the family head. He wants to build up a ton of muscle to impress girls. In addition, he wants to dye his hair blonde, get tanned, get piercings, and get tattoos because that is what he thinks the ideal male body is. Haneul shoots him down every time (and when asked why, she just turns the question around and makes Kyunwoo realize that he would also be uncomfortable if she dyed her hair blonde, got a tan, got piercings, got tattoos, and wore extremely revealing clothing). Funny enough, she also wonders why other girls don't approach him (not that she actually wants that to happen!) because she thinks he's very dashing. She will vent about this to the various girl friends she makes later on. Neither of them realize that the two of them constantly sticking together is why (and perhaps her yandere tendencies too). What a wonderful couple XD.

Also another tidbit that the manhwa should not have left out because it's a decent piece of foreshadowing is about the Magical Animal Hat. In the novel Kyunwoo asks why Haneul's elephant is so violent and Yena says that the animal's behavior reflects the creator's temperament. Haneul actively denies that she's like the elephant but Yena insists that is how the hat works. This is a big hint to her innermost personality and yandere.

ALSO ALSO Another tidbit: Haneul at this point calls Kyunwoo's parents "Father" and "Mother". They approve. They actually wanted to be called "Dad" and "Mom" so this is the compromise.

ALSO ALSO ALSO: Pay attention to Haneul saying she wanted to see the sea at this point in time and her surprise that Kyunwoo remembers. This will become relevant far, far in the future.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
From old age, right ? Not from some accident or a family relative coming to get revenge or something ?

Yes, the rabbit hunt was an event at the clan. Kyunwoo could not bring himself to kill the rabbit he caught and instead raised it as a pet. This is why the clan mocked him as Do "Rabbit" Kyunwoo, so timid he cannot even hunt a rabbit. Rabbits have short lifespans and it seems Mongshil wasn't exactly newborn when he was let loose in the rabbit hunt.

Kyunwoo noticed the decreased energy and knew that Mongshil wouldn't last much longer. He thought he had mentally prepared himself for it. He would realize that he didn't prepare himself enough :(

Dex-chan lover
The 3 stooges ruin a romantic moment -_-

i get that you can pre-upload your chapter here and that's great and all for uploaders but as a reader there should be at least a marker to know that before i click it and not when i clicked it
It might just be an issue on your end.... the chapter only shows up when it's uploaded for me....

Dex-chan lover
Great news, the main story is now beginning and the childhood friend isn't going to disappear for a bunch of chapters like before. The previous arc was the MC fixing the flaws in his Gift because if he didn't, every single subsequent battle would literally be him cowering in bushes or something.

The timeskip in this chapter and the previous chapters skipped some important stuff that I think is important to fill in.

The clan the MC is part of is technically nobility and as such highly values pedigree. This will rear its ugly head multiple times in the story, especially because Haneul is an Ain and orphan of unknown lineage. MC's mother is a commoner who was saved from a monster attack by MC's father. The two quickly fell in love but the head of the family forbid marriage. He eventually relented after MC's father begged on his hands and knees. However, MC's father is the fifth son so his already low standing in the family fell even harder because of marriage to a commoner, especially because it was against the family's policy.

MC's mother still had to try to fulfill the responsibilities like forming alliances and connections with other prominent families at gatherings but that was impossible from the start. She would be left in tears on the way home because the only thing other noble ladies were interested in was demeaning her with various derogatory remarks like "How does it feel to marry above your status?", "The only noteworthy thing about you is your face", or "You used to work as a clerk? Here I thought you were a prost- I mean a hostess!"

The humiliation did not end there. The match that reversed the fates of MC and the male cousin was in front of the whole family. After MC accidentally injured the cousin by drawing blood and was then surprise attacked, no one stopped the match. MC's mother could only watch as MC was humiliated in front of the entire family. To rub salt in the wound, she had to apologize to the cousin's mother for MC causing an injury. The result of all this was the bullying and humiliation we see prior to MC recovering his memories.

Now that MC has taken a stand, the other families have their attention on him to try and knock him back down. His comeback is interpreted as a return to the fight for succession. This is why the head of the family confronts MC's father in the previous chapter. Up to this point MC's father had been very passive in how he handled the fight for succession. He was only interested in making sure his immediate family was happy but that won't work now that MC has kicked the hornet's nest. Whether he liked it or not, to protect MC from the interference of the other families, he had to show he wasn't going to just let them have their way. MC standing up for himself and sparking that brawl convinced MC's mother to stand up for herself too. She could not tolerate her own weakness and inability to protect her son anymore. She decided to cut her hair short to show her resolve to not accept any further humiliation from the other noble ladies (in that brawl her long hair kept getting grabbed). MC's father was the last to finally resolve himself to climb higher. This is also why MC thought the letter was a duel letter. He was keenly aware that after what he showed off at the family gathering he was going to be targeted. The manhwa left that part out to make him look dense but in the novel he very clearly outlined his reasons for assuming it was a duel.

Now the next important tidbit is that since MC's father has climbed up the social hierarchy, he can exercise more power. Of course, MC requested that he and Haneul be placed in the same class for their entire time in school. This would not have been possible before and it's actually important to Haneul growing closer with Kyunwoo and more confident in herself. She doesn't realize he pulled strings to do this and totally thinks it's fate.

Another bit is Mongshil dying. We got a panel in the manhwa but there's a big development here that was skipped over. Haneul tries to cheer Kyunwoo up by letting him touch her tail. The tail is very sensitive and important. He's very knowledgeable about rabbit biology (and just basic pet behavior) so the significance of this gesture is not lost on him. He really appreciates it and him stroking it basically becomes their first act of intimacy. I cannot believe the manhwa skipped this.

Also not sure if the next chapter will include this bit so I will spoiler it. Throughout the entirety of middle school, Kyunwoo never once received a confession. This leads him to develop the impression that Do Kyunwoo has no sex appeal. Even in his own eyes, he doesn't look dependable in the slightest but that's also due to him remembering the game's characterization. This is also why he spends so much time training. It's not just to overcome the family head. He wants to build up a ton of muscle to impress girls. In addition, he wants to dye his hair blonde, get tanned, get piercings, and get tattoos because that is what he thinks the ideal male body is. Haneul shoots him down every time (and when asked why, she just turns the question around and makes Kyunwoo realize that he would also be uncomfortable if she dyed her hair blonde, got a tan, got piercings, got tattoos, and wore extremely revealing clothing). Funny enough, she also wonders why other girls don't approach him (not that she actually wants that to happen!) because she thinks he's very dashing. She will vent about this to the various girl friends she makes later on. Neither of them realize that the two of them constantly sticking together is why (and perhaps her yandere tendencies too). What a wonderful couple XD.
Is the novel translated, and if so, where could I read it?

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation.

Rip pet-bunny, you'll be missed.
The cute bunny girl evolved to a super hot bunny gal! Kick everyone's ass, bunny cutie!
MC still is a mass of positive thinking, isnt he?

Let's hope for some action and maybe some romance.
1ksd59.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Is the novel translated, and if so, where could I read it?

I read the early chapters on noblemtl and later chapters on faqwiki and though it is a rough MTL it's enough to follow along.

Glad that FL has actual friends and relationships out side of ML, that’s an automatic point added.
Kyunwoo also has actual friends and they are all total bros.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Also another tidbit that the manhwa should not have left out because it's a decent piece of foreshadowing is about the Magical Animal Hat. In the novel Kyunwoo asks why Haneul's elephant is so violent and Yena says that the animal's behavior reflects the creator's temperament. Haneul actively denies that she's like the elephant but Yena insists that is how the hat works. This is a big hint to her innermost personality and yandere.
So, from how the manhwa has characterised OG Haneul she seemed more fatalistic than anything else. But then she is sorta "broken" even here in the "fixed" timeline? Also, I'm guessing her object of focus as a yandere is Kyunwoo, right? But then did her inner-most yandere ever show itself up to this point?
Another question this raised for me, does the novel treat this part of her as something natural that she and others just need to lear to cope with, or something to be fully fixed?

Dex-chan lover
Yes, the rabbit hunt was an event at the clan. Kyunwoo could not bring himself to kill the rabbit he caught and instead raised it as a pet. This is why the clan mocked him as Do "Rabbit" Kyunwoo, so timid he cannot even hunt a rabbit. Rabbits have short lifespans and it seems Mongshil wasn't exactly newborn when he was let loose in the rabbit hunt.

Kyunwoo noticed the decreased energy and knew that Mongshil wouldn't last much longer. He thought he had mentally prepared himself for it. He would realize that he didn't prepare himself enough :(

Thanks for the info dump. As much as I enjoy time skips, I don't like them if they leave 99% of the content out and just give us a panel or two with no context. I originally thought that panel of him holding the rabbit was some sort of metaphor. Clearly thinking too deep, lmao. Getting a chapter about his pet rabbit passing would have been good development to see. RIP

Users who are viewing this thread