I Turned off the Pain Perception Setting! - Ch. 14

A human caste system along with genetic modification. What a shitty world.

Honestly if you're going to create humans with no intelligence you might as well just make robots at that point. Probably cheaper to make and replace, and a lot more durable.
Don't forget maintenance cost. Humans need food, cleaning of wastes and such. Those things sometimes require electricity while all machines just need electricity and spare parts most of the time

Dex-chan lover
Honestly if you're going to create humans with no intelligence you might as well just make robots at that point. Probably cheaper to make and replace, and a lot more durable.
Don't forget maintenance cost. Humans need food, cleaning of wastes and such. Those things sometimes require electricity while all machines just need electricity and spare parts most of the time
Maybe the progression of their robots and A.I. were not as good as cloning and genetic modification. Even the A.I. in MC's game could go off script like that, pandering to only one player and rejecting everyone else. Or maybe the materials for the robot spare parts are dwindling and become more costly than homunculi.

But I think it's because the upper echelon wants to see the world inhabited by humans (even though they're homunculi) rather than robots. It's aesthetically better and less dreary.
:nyoron:

Dex-chan lover
The world she lives in sucks, but at the same time, I'm a bit annoyed that she's nearly at the top of the pack and she's still whining because she got sick (though I suppose when the odds are 1/1000, anyone would be bitter).
Like she's playing a life-like VR game where she lives the life of a slave in a war-torn country constantly, seemingly not doing any work, from her highrise luxury apartment whilst looking down at all the mindless lesser plebs... there just seems to be no meditation on how lucky she is in other ways. Every time she's out of her pod, she's all "woe is me", whilst sipping on her latte likely while resting a designer chair.

Also, how could her society even exist while making media such as that VR game? Surely seeing unfair societal structures such as slavery, and it looks like they're depicted badly, and it places you in the shoes of said enslaved person, would make the audience go; "wow, maybe we shouldn't literally create an underclass of people and literal slaves", but apparently the people in her world are that media illiterate or non-meditative?

Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far, but the sections with the "real world" rub me the wrong way. I'd prefer it if we had this very serious melodramatic story, only for the curtain to drop and show us the MC is actually just some goofball larping and taking photos of all the cool characters, rather than the hero they imagine.

Group Leader
just picked this up and it is SO good! thanks again speedcat for another amazing translation!!

Fed-Kun's army
[...] Also, how could her society even exist while making media such as that VR game? Surely seeing unfair societal structures such as slavery, and it looks like they're depicted badly, and it places you in the shoes of said enslaved person, would make the audience go; "wow, maybe we shouldn't literally create an underclass of people and literal slaves", but apparently the people in her world are that media illiterate or non-meditative? [...]
I have a suspicion that is kind of the point the game makers were trying to make.
OR
The people in area B, C (and maybe even D?) are well off enough to consume games. Seeing a main character who lived a similar way to themselves (figuratively) helps them connect to the hero quickly. And the elite in area A don't worry about the other areas being influenced to try to change the system because they literally cannot (or it's very very unlikely).

(I don't know if I used the word figuratively in the right place. I'm sleep deprived, but I hope you get my meaning anyway.)

Dex-chan lover
Like she's playing a life-like VR game where she lives the life of a slave in a war-torn country constantly, seemingly not doing any work, from her highrise luxury apartment whilst looking down at all the mindless lesser plebs... there just seems to be no meditation on how lucky she is in other ways. Every time she's out of her pod, she's all "woe is me", whilst sipping on her latte likely while resting a designer chair.
From this chapter, it seems like it's actually her job to test VR games. I mean, she enjoys it but a job is still a job and those simulations are sold to those in Zone A.

What I find interesting is that even though she's a Zone B resident, her life expectancy is a mere 55 years. FIFTY-FIVE! People in our world live almost twice as long as that and we're not some super futuristic civilization. From the sounds of it, this world of hers is practically dying as it is. Nobody likes their life, everyone is a slave, there's no such thing as families, so on and so forth.

Dex-chan lover
At first it might seem like it but if you actually think about it Infrastructure? time to charge? the shitty storage of electricity? Humans are way more efficient than electricity in reality(oh noes).

Users who are viewing this thread