I wanna be able to export my library into a file

Dex-chan lover
The main thing I missed when the site went down was my Manga follows. I couldn't work with the API and login through that. It'd be great if the website had an option to let me download my follows to a file to keep as backup, even a simple text file.

I see there was a support thread about this topic, but I don't think it's been actually suggested yet.

Upvote 10
I am going to be honest i thought that was already implemented which was why i joined, i had seen it it stated that you could do that with Mangadex before and though that the site focused on curation and cataloguing manga's one was interested in as there selling point.

File Attacher
Staff
Super Moderator
but I don't think it's been actually suggested yet.
Well actually..
Edit: well actually not.. i only looked at when the post above mine was made and not the thread itself, this one is 4 days earlier than the one i linked :huh:

But anyway, the only talk i've seen about it is this "maybe something in the far future" is this ↓
andku85 said on Discord: ->

I have a suggestion for the site. Is there we can have a backup option. Like to Google Drive, Drop Box or something. That would export our lists; reading, plan to read, on hold, etc. And also our favorites. Would be a few Json files in a folder. And later down the line an import if something happens. No need for a daily but maybe a weekly or 2ice a month or even monthly. Like i said a suggestion.

Tristan 9 said on Discord: ->

No need for a daily but maybe a weekly or 2ice a month or even monthly.
We might do it in the future, but you'd definitely have to click a button at least; we will never initiate a connection to another server from within ours.

Would be a few Json files in a folder.
Now you also have to remember that as far as MangaDex is concerned, all things are just using our IDs, so it wouldn't be compatible with 3rd-party websites/apps without work on their side and them keeping track of our ids, which isn't going to be something anyone wants to do (there's a reason we don't keep track of other sites' ids either).
At the point where someone actually goes and does that, we have a public API they can pull your data from for backup purposes.

And later down the line an import if something happens.
Finally, we safekeep the accounts on our platform, but if worst comes to worse and MD goes poof, then there's nowhere for us to help you import that data back, since we went poof.

Overall it's something that would be really nice to have, but:
  • technically all feasible to export your account data as-is right now
  • guaranteeing that you can make use of the backups later isn't something we can do ourselves, since it's a "what if MD dies" thing

andku85 said on Discord: ->

For me i say backup but it is mostly so i can have a self record. If it's a button i click to download or load somewhere. To me that's more than enough. Just want to keep organized. And thank you for your reply.

Tristan 9 said on Discord: ->

Well, then we can probably do that eventually. But I can't stress enough that it most likely wouldn't be useful in a worst case scenario, and we don't want to give a false sense of security in that regard 😅
(Preferably i'd like only a single quote but context and whatnot.. also, jesus this took so long..)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I am going to be honest i thought that was already implemented which was why i joined, i had seen it it stated that you could do that with Mangadex before and though that the site focused on curation and cataloguing manga's one was interested in as there selling point.
It does catalogue Manga for you, and it's nice to use. The problem is that if the website goes down it's a huge bummer because you lose the only place you had saved all the stuff you planned to read some day.
I'd like an option to backup the catalogue so I always have it. I'm kinda lazy to do it manually myself.

Well actually..
Edit: well actually not.. i only looked at when the post above mine was made and not the thread itself, this one is 4 days earlier than the one i linked :huh:

But anyway, the only talk i've seen about it is this "maybe something in the far future" is this ↓
(Preferably i'd like only a single quote but context and whatnot.. also, jesus this took so long..)
That's fair. For now I could get over myself and just screenshot my list.. Or just hope the website doesn't get HOMBRE'd again...

Users who are viewing this thread