I Want to Eat Your Pancreas

My memory is shite so I forget which manga I've read. I find myself reading this once or twice a year, always with a vague memory of me bawling my fucking eyes out on a previous read but kind of forgetting why. I proceed to binge-read it all in one sitting, and bawl my fucking eyes out.

Really good stuff. A must read.

Group Leader
One of my top manga. Just remembering the ending brings the tears. Such a good piece of art.

Group Leader
This manga is great but I would also recommend the light novel since it fleshes out their characters more and the little interaction between the leads are interesting.

Ninja cutting onions level
Seriously read this it’s so good, one of the few mangas that really made me wanna cry, even though

-spoilerish I guess, litteraly the first 2 panels but well we never know-

you know right at the beginning how it’s gonna end, it still hits you right in the feels.

This story is much more convenient than it is realistic. Especially at the end.

The fact that she got stabbed out of nowhere at noon in the middle of the street because apparently there was a chain of hit and runs is really convenient but utterly ridiculous. I understand that the author wanted to put a shock factor since everyone thought she would die from the illness, but it ruins the climax of the story as it is not realistic at all; the story is not taking place in Johannesburg, it's in Japan ffs.

Double-page supporter
I like how, though there's an unusually large amount of negative comments, this is rated 9.18

F this, i cried too much. This was amazing. People who commented negatively are just lashing out because of how Mich this manga hurt. 10/10. It's definitely a manga that you won't forget.

Double-page supporter
wow, it ended in 10 chapters, (just came back to see what was happening with this series since I read a few chapters long ago)
So its pretty much a story leading to her impending death (since it showed she died first chapter)

Haven't finished the Manga, but in the last week got through the Light Novel and both version of the movies(2017 Live Action and 2018 Anime), also the extra "sequel" of the story that was released with the anime film that sorta told an epilogue. I really like this story, the human elements in it is really both heart breaking and also inspiring. Makes me tear up every time in the end regardless of the medium. I'd recommend them all, but I think light novel version is the most complete and perhaps makes the most sense given the way how the character interactions are written. I think I have preference of the anime over the live action.

On the sudden-ness of Sakura's passing. I think some really hate that, but I think it is pretty much the intent of the author to do it. Both delivers the shock value and also really illustrating the point of what they've been trying to say through out, that cherishing the here and now is really the most important part. And as the "boku" said he's been taking the remaining days of Sakura's life for granted, and the ultimate irony of her dying not from the ever looming shadow of the pancreas illness but from a random act of violence is not loss on the readers I hope. Interesting the epilogue story also shows how much that really left an imprint on Haruki's view on life, even much later on in life.

The Live-Action film is not true to the novel in the sense they chose to tell the story in somewhat round about way with the flashback. I like how it was executed even if its ultimately not really necessary. I think its ultimately the saddest version in the sense that I think it left the least optimistic outlook in the post-Sakura life of the protagonist. Yes I think he did kinda step out of his shell(you can't be a teacher without doing it) but I think it also showed he kinda emotionally still closed off and hurt for a long time because he had no closure. The acting was great though. I think the characters were also well cast. I think the LA young Haruki is the best version, with his nuanced expressions and got that bland of care and awkwardness spot on.

The Anime version is closer to the novel. I particularly like the Sakura in the anime being I think the most balanced mix of comedic timing, bubbly personality and vulnerability. The Anime got the comedy part much better than the LA film which is much more somber throughout. The novel was actually really funny in spots(and so is the manga so far) so thats really where my preference comes from. I need to rewatch the anime to get the end bit where he was reading the final letters to him. Interestingly the anime chose to overlay the visual inspired by The Little Prince over the letters and it kinda made it more confusing to me but it makes sense given the book's connection to the protagonists. This was I think the most powerful part of the novel and probably because of the words being much more clear cut than the imagery. The LA movie with this being a voice over is actually more concise and accurate to the novel.

The way both protagonists arrived separately at the same conclusion that they were their opposite but realizing they both found what they lacked in each other was just beautiful but ultimately heart breaking. And really gave the nonsensical title real weight(to the point that I get emotional thinking about it).

Just to not have anymore confusion, all 3 versions(I am assuming manga does too) had Kyouko developed a friendship with Boku/Haruki, as friends. And all 3 had Gum-kun romantically involved with Kyouko. Anime it was the most subtle in the post credit scene. And the LA movie was the most on the nose as they were getting married.

I think this story also kinda gave me some impetus to reflect on my own life and choices I've made so far. Pretty unusual given I rarely have that kind of feel after finishing it. Look forward to finishing the manga and assuming I'll be crying some more...lol

i cried. out of shock.
like damn i thought she was gonna die bc of her pancreas or something but she died bc she got stabbed like ??? other than that, its still good tho.

Dex-chan lover
Why can't I enjoy the genre of tragedy like all of you here? You seem like masochists to me. How can you read something that you know will end unhappily?
I also can't rate it based on my preferences and bias so it feels doubly irritating.

It's stories like this that make me grateful I'm alive so that I can wake up tomorrow happy I get a chance to have a new day.

Double-page supporter
I dont often give a 10 out of 10. Most of mangas have flaws, irregularities, shortcomings.

This one doesnt. I wont spoil the story, but i disagree with people calling it easy and lazy. It was to be expected. There's foreshadowing, and in the back of my mind I dreaded it would end that way.
Back to the manga itself, the philosophy is very nice. It's not overly complicated and yet still is deep. It's a manga that resonated with me, mostly because i've been living like a shut-in for 5 years and pretty much cut myself from social relationships. I wish i had the courage to take the first step he did. I wish i could find my polar opposite. I think this manga will appeal to anyone that feels secluded, lonely or simply just a bit sad. Although it might seem like the opposite, this manga is about hope. About overcoming your fears. About making a change, taking action.

If i had one complaint, it would be the other characters, the best friend and her ex. Those two bring nothing on the table, in my opinion
i have to spoil a bit. The best friend has a purpose for the end of the story but other than that, her reactions hardly make sense or add anything to the story
. It's very minor. Doesnt affect the story.

A wonderful piece of art.

I probably would have cried if I hadn't read the 'kara no shoujo' visual novels.

Still feel melancholy though.

I read these comments and all I can think is:

"Wow, we've got almost two successive generation of pussies in a row now."

But no, this story is awful. Just another iteration of manic pixie dream girl trope story without even a tinge of trying to be something more than that. Lowest common denominator shit.

(and I'd actually bought it unlike 95% of you jokers here)

Users who are viewing this thread