I Will Become the Hero's Mother - Vol. 1 Ch. 45

Dex-chan lover
image.png

So rude.

Dex-chan lover
It really seems like the main character is living a different story and world than the rest of the cast.

Quite an odd comic.

Dex-chan lover
In a 'because they are nobles' sense or?
Been so long, reread the chapter, but didn't exactly help me make a reply.

So, I'm not sure what I was intending with that line. Typed out some possible reasons, but they were too vague. Haven't read this comic in a while, but I've got time. I'm sure it isn't about social classes though, but likely more about how the story is told or her view of her second life.

Dex-chan lover
In a 'because they are nobles' sense or?
I think I got what I was intending. I was too non-committal in my opinion. She is living a different story, but lacks the framing and mindset to separate it, which is working in her favor. It works in her favor, because she is able to fall in love with the guy, which is apparently needed.

Now, as for why it is a different story, I think it best to use another property as a comparison, which would involve spoilers for the main quest of Starfield. I have a short essay already written up about this, but being straighter to the point here.
One of the key plot points, is that the player character can be one of the many people that travel to alternate dimensions, where they can keep getting stronger and keep experiencing different quest paths (New Game+ basically, but as a plot point). There is a point where the player is asked to make a choice. One of the choices is to side with The Hunter. The Hunter is what I want to get at. They are a character that has lived through many universes and has become jaded about the value of caring about anything aside from their end goal of more power.

For example, the people they once cared for, are just "things" in said universe. They can die, and just meet them again in the next, so them being alive or cared for, lost value to The Hunter.

As compared to other games (part of that essay), Starfield gives a frame of reference for how a player would view playing a game. Play it enough, and the characters don't matter, it is just clicking through choices with less care each time. This is what I wanted to get at, in that she has "lived" another timeline of sorts, so her story would or should take a step back. At the start of the comic, she worked like this to the best of her ability, in having a goal oriented mindset where the story of others matters less (forcing the marriage and jumping him in bed), and she became less connected to those around her.

While, I am curious about her previous self (seems she got married to another, as her last name was different - forget the name) she is trying (maybe not by choice) to inject her desired story into the current timeline by instead connecting with people instead of seperating.

Could have done this without using Starfield as an example, but it'd be harder to explain I think. It gives a useful character to work with.

Dex-chan lover
This is what I wanted to get at, in that she has "lived" another timeline of sorts, so her story would or should take a step back. At the start of the comic, she worked like this to the best of her ability, in having a goal oriented mindset where the story of others matters less (forcing the marriage and jumping him in bed), and she became less connected to those around her.
I don't really get that vibe from her, if anything she got more desperate exactly because she cares about the people she love and don't want to lose them.

Her personality is just... unique, to say the least. She's not entirely "less connected" because she is goal oriented, she just seems like that because she doesn't act like what people expected her to be, a typical noblewoman who should've been scared by her husband, vs her actual caring self who doesn't really conform to proper lady behavior.

She didn't force any marriage, she selflessly "sacrificed" herself to save the world while at the same time so her cousin doesn't have to marry him (the marriage is happening regardless of who would become the future-duchess). She is crass and lack grace, so she just jump on him every chance she gets in the beginning but only because she wasn't aware of her husband's grievances; after learning about it she holds herself back knowing that it'll hurt the Duke, because she actually cares about him.
Just in case you forgot, she went out of her way to solve a case where maids (the lowest on the totem pole of a noble house) became victims, it had nothing to do with her goal and she have no real obligation to pay it any attention.

As far as I know in the "original timeline" she just never met the duke in the first place, there's really no tension about being isolated from others nor connecting with more people. Your Starfield comparison implies that she might be jaded by repeating her lifetime, but from her perspective this is her one and only chance, she only ever "came back" from the future once (not even remembering any events prior to her waking up in a nightmarish future). Remember that the supposed "original timeline" is just a prophetic dream to her, she didn't physically time travel back into the past or into another timeline. She desperately tries to sleep with the duke precisely because she think if she fails, the world will be doomed, and there's no retry.
For the lack of a better word, I think you are completely off the mark here sadly.

HAHAAHAHA HIS STENCH IS ALMOST AS RANCID AS HIS PERSONALITY!! HAHAHHA NASTY BITCH!! I HOPE IT'S BC HE'S ROTTING

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread