IDOL×IDOL STORY! - Ch. 41 - Second Guard Battle

Dex-chan lover
So last duel the dancers didn't matter at all and now they suddenly do? Feels like bullshit to me.

Atleast i got to know more about Shiori

Dex-chan lover
Boy, I swear if they eliminate Shiori over this I am gonna riot. Also
So last duel the dancers didn't matter at all and now they suddenly do? Feels like bullshit to me.

I am gonna be honest, something is already weird when Aria specifically pointed out during the first time how the dance in this stage is important even though it's a singing competition.

Huh, I did not think Shiori would lose, i also missed the team aspect of the second round.

Good Job Urara

Dex-chan lover
I am gonna be honest, something is already weird when Aria specifically pointed out during the first time how the dance in this stage is important even though it's a singing competition.
What’s weird about that? The point is to get the attention of the judges and 2 people singing over each other is not really conducive to a good singing competition.
You have to stand out in some way.

Supporter
Training Camp Round 2: Star Battle Test - Results
Vanguard: Senba Ritsu VS Hitoto Hitoe - Ritsu wins 4-3 (White Stars 1, Black Stars 0)
Second Guard: Horyu Shiori VS Todoroki Urara - Urara wins 7-0 (White Stars 1, Black Stars 1)
Stalwart: Aoi Michiru VS Hiiragi Koyuki
Vice Captain: Futaba Yuuri VS Futaba Tsumugi
Captain: Nagisa Mimi VS Nanakusa Ibuki

White Star Reserves: Akagiri Hibana, Kokonoe Karin, Koinumaru Suzu
Black Star Reserves: Kotomori Anon, Toma Shuri
---
So we're tied with three battles to go. For dramatic tension you'd expect the next two battles to be split so it all comes down to the final battle, but you never know for sure...

As a reminder, the losing team will be judged, and the one person deemed unfit to debut will be eliminated. This could be one of the reserves, too, not just the five people doing battle. Theoretically even someone who won their individual battle isn't immune from being eliminated if they were on the losing team, but that seems extremely unlikely.

So far, I'd say Ritsu and Urara are safe since they won their battles. No way Hitoe gets eliminated at this point either. It's not great for Shiori that she was totally defeated 7-0... I think we'll have people at higher risk of elimination, but it could happen.

It was said by Hitoe when the rules were announced that the possibility that the reserves would be eliminated would be way higher, but that doesn't seem the most satisfying from a storytelling perspective, picking off someone who didn't get to fight. We'll see...

Dex-chan lover
I'm now forever Shiori's fan, sorry Mimisuke and every other girls in the series

Edit: seriously though Shiori is so cute and amazing!!!!! So glad we get to know more about her!!!!

also, two of my predictions turned out to be right, let's see how the other battles will turn out.

Dex-chan lover
Did not expect that twist, I'm not sure if it was specified the dance would involve the 5 members, but it makes total sense, I think I didn't catch that because I don't watch idol content irl.

I also feel like this chapter did set up Shiori to be eliminated in the case of the White Stars losing, in a narrative sense, though it's too early to tell since this is just the second match. You can easily say that to catch on the importance of this bout being the team aspect a boon for Urara, and to not being a failure of the White Stars as a whole, though in that case the specifics would be the responsability of the captain, or the second guard themselves?

I wonder if we'll see a reserve having to spring up on the action (if Tsumugi has her asthma spring up, or Koyuki falls down from exhaustion), and if we'll have some interference on the decision of the coaches of who should be eliminated at the end. 'Really eager to see what comes next.

As always, thank you very much for the scanlation.

For the possible elimination,
For the black stars it has to be Koyuki, unless Tsumugi has a full blown asthma attack on stage.

The white stars are harder, chapter 34 suggested Karin was having a breakdown, but she seems to be over that.
I don't think it is fair to blame Shiori for losing when it is shown to be a team battle.

but i am really not sure who else could be eliminatied from the white stars.
Maybe Yuuri will have trouble when the Sisters face off, and we basically know nothing about Michiru.

Dex-chan lover

have you both never watched a idol team performance? While the singing is important for idols, dancing/choreography is even more important (case in point, many Korean idol groups and members have less than powerful singing voices, but still stand out/be popular due to their dancing).

EDIT: honestly just go watch some performances of different teams on some idol survival shows in Korean (which the manga entire premise is based on) and you can see the difference between a team who dances well, and a team that dances super in-sync.

Watching an entire team being very synchronized is amazing/hypnotic. No matter how well an individual performs, they can't beat an entire team. And the audience votes for whichever performance they're more attracted to.

And that's why Shiori lost here, because the entire Black Stars team committed to dance the best they possibly can, and that helps them get all the audience attention, so that even if Shiori performs at 200%, she can't win.

Think about it like this if you still don't get it: last duel both team dances on the same level (50-50) so they have to fight with their singing, which Ritsu won. This time, Black Stars outshine White Stars in term of dancing (100-10) and got all the attention so no matter what Shiori does she can't win. Sing better? Not gonna win that much attention. Dance better? Definitely not a good idea to do, because if Shiori dances too well compared to her teammates it will just ruin the whole team synergy.

Last edited:
Group Leader

Dancing always mattered but less so for the other songs. They've mentioned from the get go that this round will mostly use simple choreo because the contestants don't have enough time to practice complex choreo for 5 different songs. The Second Guard's song has always been the odd one out by having a specific choreo the contestants has to follow.​

z2.png

Dex-chan lover
have you both never watched a idol team performance? While the singing is important for idols, dancing/choreography is even more important (case in point, many Korean idol groups and members have less than powerful singing voices, but still stand out/be popular due to their dancing).
No i know idols dance and sing it's just that i thought the songs were for 1 on 1 duels.
I honestly forgot she said this which is why i thought the singing should matter more than the dancing.
Definitly makes it not a bullshit win, still upset that Shiori didn't win because i just like her more :)

So now i don't think Koyuki will win (it was a small chance anyway) against Michiru because Tsumu should win against her sister i feel, atleast that's what the story makes me believe it lead up to anyway.
I feel like the white stars will win this stage/round overall though.

Dex-chan lover
It's not great for Shiori that she was totally defeated 7-0... I think we'll have people at higher risk of elimination, but it could happen.
I think Shiori should be pretty safe because it's not like it was specifically her fault she lost; her team was just outsmarted by the other team. If anything, that's Mimi's responsibility as team leader.

Users who are viewing this thread