If You're Gonna Dress Up, Do It Like This

this is a great manga if you dress way too casually for your age and environment (like me). the advice is applicable to pretty much everyone and the author explores different garments, body types and people to get a range of perspectives. i'm not a boy but the advice is still useful... i do wish she talked about fashion for women a bit more since women have waaay more choices and more room to mess up.

i wonder if the subber is going to continue to translate since it's been 2 weeks since the last upload... i really like this manga, please keep uploading if possible!

Contributor
Haven't heard back from the editor in quite a while. If anyone is interested in continuing to scanlate this series, I have the translation.

I wonder why his sister is blonde in the manga and and brown haired on the colored pages- Why not make it a gray-ish black?

@Winstonite

I didn't mean it in an hand-drawn kind of way, but in a 'choose a criss-cross lined color in your painting program'. So it shouldn't be much more work than doing a black haired person. Still more work than leaving it blank, though.?

Dex-chan lover
The new guy ruined it for me. 8+ chapters or so wasted on him and our male MC nowhere to be found

all this so the dude that shows out of nowhere gets noticed by a fucking girl? lmfao.

things were going so good with the male MC and his childhood 'friend' going into date for shopping and eating now nothing happens.

Dex-chan lover
Oh wow, smart casual: the level of dress most misunderstood where I live. And don't get me started about semi-formal.

@kronix:
I get what you mean - sure I want his interactions with Higuchi to evolve to something more romantic. But then again this manga was never a romance so I have to curb my expectations.

Damn, reading this just reminds me of how unfashionable I am. But idk how to dress for my bod. For example most jeans I try on are too long for my legs but if I go a size down it's too tight. I tried on some high wasted jeans once and it looked like I had on a deflated diaper because I have no butt, but everywhere else fitperfectly. I'm stuck wearing bootcut jeans from the kid's section. The only shirts that fit me well are Aeropostale t-shirts because they're small but than they have a giant logo on them. Other shirts look weird and deflated because I have no bust. I'm literally a walking peice of cardboard.

@Sophie Those sound like standard petite issues to me! There are lots of petite fashion bloggers with relevant advice for that stuff. Also, if you shop online at the GAP, a lot of their stuff comes in petite sizing OR in short/ankle length.

@Sophie No problem. I've got one more tip for you. Japan's top coordinate-sharing site WEAR lets you search people's outfit photos by height, so you can see what all the short girls are doing. Like so: https://wear.net/coordinate/?country_id=1&from_height=151&to_height=160

ALSO: MB's working on a new manga with GIRLS now! https://comic.webnewtype.com/contents/torahachi/
Alas, I don't think it's a straight-up how-to-dress manual like this one though. It looks like more of a manual on how to work in the Japanese apparel retail industry. Ah well!

Dex-chan lover
There's just one thing that's been bugging me since the start: I don't get how this series depicts intentionally exposing one's ankles. The way it's constantly portrayed makes the pants look too short and the torso overemphasized - at least for me. I guess the fact that we've gotten five volumes about men's fashion with zero discussion talk on pants break goes to show that this is something uniquely Japanese.

But then again, this series glorifies black skinny jeans while blatantly ignoring dark wash jeans. There is also hardly any mention of the color navy at all, which is pretty much low-hanging fruit when it comes to the starting out in men's fashion.

@auriga Ankle jeans are currently in style, and some people also roll up their pants to show their ankles.

@auriga I bet the ankle bias is related to that Big-Head-Short-Legs short person complex that the characters are constantly harping about. Isn't the no-break look recommended specifically for short men? MB is probably assuming that the target audience doesn't have legs worth emphasizing in the first place :X

As for the lack of navy... I've got an idea about that too. In a lot of colour dressing systems, there's this idea that you shouldn't wear colours that are darker than your darkest feature or lighter than your lightest feature. This cuts black clothing out for many white people, so charcoal or navy ends up being the darkest colour that can be worn "harmoniously". No such limitation for us Asians.
Besides, the first arc makes a biiiiig deal out of that monochrome jeans-socks-shoes trick (again a specific trick for short men) and that might not look right with monochrome navy...

Dex-chan lover
@Sophie @Macca, I have no problem with the look irl, just with how the mangaka portrays it. Take the full body shot here; the thin ankles combined with the wide leg opening doesn't really look aesthetically pleasing to me and makes Yuusuke look like he's wearing a pair of pants that are too short. It's less a fashion thing and more a drawing thing, really.

In terms of fashion, though, I consider the mangaka's look to be too much already. If there was such a thing as "negative break" then this would be it; I'd rather go with zero break - with my pants still grazing the top of my shoes - with a bit of sock visible. But that's just me. I'm 5'3" and I always wear slim fit jeans with at least half break hahaha.

As for the navy, that's an interesting bit I don't know about, Sophie; thanks! I also thought a few days after that it may be a culture thing where the Japanese don't really like to stand out, hence the black and the monochromes. I figure a guy wearing navy amidst a sea of black would probably be too fashion-forward there.

@auriga Ohhhhh. I think I know what you're talking about now regarding the art. I wager that it's partially because the mangaka doesn't draw the ankle bone bumps (malleolus...?) when the characters are wearing socks. The legs just go straight up and down between the cuff and the shoe, so you can't tell where pants are hemmed relative to the ankle.
Regarding navy: MB regularly wears navy on his blog, so I think the prevalence of black in these early chapters is training wheels for getting to a 7/3 formal-casual ratio. I don't really agree with that ratio, especially since it seems to be rooted in some kind of inferiority complex, but it's one of MB's central theses as a fashion guru so... yeah.

Anyway, I shop women's fashion so I can't use a lot of this advice directly, but I've definitely gotten ideas -- I started buying black clothes again, and the wrist thing... the empty-wrist thing is REAL. And here I was, thinking I was never going to buy a watch again...

Users who are viewing this thread