Ikiru no Hetana Takou no Joshi - Vol. 1 Ch. 5

Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 17, 2024
Messages
1,885
Only she could've overlooked a key with a keychain this big.
And the way I think about it, being a bit of a nuisance is THE way to make acquaintances - you have a problem, someone is happy to help, boom, a memory has been made. Keep troubling each other regularly, and you might turn into reliable buddies.
Avoiding people just because you're afraid of bothering someone is a good way to never talk to anyone...
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 14, 2026
Messages
269
Hot n cold "you're hot then you're cold you're yes then you're no" this song describes fml perfectly.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
24,172
Why did he choose to go to such a school in the first place? I can't imagine Japan even has that many of them around anymore.
 
Active member
Joined
Aug 28, 2026
Messages
23
The story will end when she will make an Hitoyoshi keychain wth Hitoyoshi's fur :meguusmug:
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Dec 3, 2023
Messages
2,697
Only she could've overlooked a key with a keychain this big.
And the way I think about it, being a bit of a nuisance is THE way to make acquaintances - you have a problem, someone is happy to help, boom, a memory has been made. Keep troubling each other regularly, and you might turn into reliable buddies.
Avoiding people just because you're afraid of bothering someone is a good way to never talk to anyone...
It's just how Japanese culture is. You're obligated to say "no, I don't want to be a bother" the first time someone offers to do something for you. If they're serious, they're supposed to ask again.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 17, 2024
Messages
1,885
It's just how Japanese culture is. You're obligated to say "no, I don't want to be a bother" the first time someone offers to do something for you. If they're serious, they're supposed to ask again.
She's been apologizing for being a bother repeatedly, though, so that might be less about national customs and more about actual personal anxiety.
Also, I too used to think not causing trouble for others was a way to make people like you, but instead it only makes it easier for them to ignore your presence.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Dec 3, 2023
Messages
2,697
She's been apologizing for being a bother repeatedly, though, so that might be less about national customs and more about actual personal anxiety.
Also, I too used to think not causing trouble for others was a way to make people like you, but instead it only makes it easier for them to ignore your presence.
You're right, of course, but I'd argue that this point specifically is a reflection of the culture of the author rather than an intentional depiction of her anxiety. The fact that she said "no" so bluntly, sending Hitoyoshi into shock, is obviously meant to be her fault, but her continuation afterwards, which he misses due to the aforementioned shock, is meant to show that he misunderstood her. She was not saying "no," but rather doing the obligatory "I don't want to impose on you," inviting him to ask again. Classic misunderstanding.

Also, I think that you should avoid viewing this cultural norm through the lens of your own culture. In the west, yes, if you repeatedly answer "no" whenever someone offers to do something for you for the first time, that will be taken as a "no," and eventually they'll stop offering to do things for you. But in Japan, everyone knows that they're supposed to ask again if they're serious. The same thing won't happen unless you repeatedly answer "no" the second time, as well. It's a different culture.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Feb 18, 2019
Messages
1,580
Awkward girls are the best. ...Mainly because they can't tell that I'm also awkward.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Apr 13, 2025
Messages
5,037
See ? Told you it would be explained properly and now, we have an even better situation than previously :chad:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top