Ikoku Nikki - Vol. 11 Ch. 53 - page.53

Dex-chan lover
Ah, those last few pages got to me. I'm 25 now, right in between Makio and Asa's ages at the start of the story, and not to be cliche, but they are just like me fr. I tend to be more like Makio however, because I need to be alone more than I am with others, but oh yeah, maintaining good relationships is something I work for and grapple with a lot, despite (because) my lack of knowledge on social cues.

Thank you for the chapter as always!

Dex-chan lover
Does know where I what those two panels of Makio and her sister are referencing?

Dex-chan lover
I love characters where you're like "they're autistic" & it most likely wasn't the authors intention, but based off of people they've met/know who probably are too and just don't know. There are so many people out there who are "different" but it was never enough for concern, and now they go though life w/o a diagnosis wondering why they do x y z

Dex-chan lover
Every single chapter of this manga makes me feel and think about new things. I never expected that from a manga but I am so happy I found this one.

Thank you for the chapter! I love Touno's phrasing of wanting to connect as arrogant, it really does capture how I feel about my own abilities to form real human relationships.

Does know where I what those two panels of Makio and her sister are referencing?
In the past there was a big argument between them where Makio had enough of being told "go be normal" and lashed out back at her sister. I think the argument was shown the most in chapter 23.

Dex-chan lover
hmm but both makio and touno seem like empathetic people to me (what does that make me LOL).. like touno when he got outraged on kasamachi's behalf about how his father neglected him. or makio understanding so well what asa needed to hear when she was at her parents' funeral.

they just have bad timing for the minute stuff. or communicate poorly sometimes. i think since they're so harsh on themselves, it's that they can't empathize with themselves more than anything, so when someone has a situation they can relate to, they sorta shut down. like makio not wanting to think about her sister so she claims she can't relate to asa's loneliness (when actually, it feels like she can, she's just not willing to go down the rabbit hole). idk

I love characters where you're like "they're autistic" & it most likely wasn't the authors intention, but based off of people they've met/know who probably are too and just don't know. There are so many people out there who are "different" but it was never enough for concern, and now they go though life w/o a diagnosis wondering why they do x y z
I'm diagnosed, I've met plenty of people who lack empathy that are not autistic. I have plenty of empathy, can we stop diagnosing characters based on harmful stereotypes??

Dex-chan lover
I'm diagnosed, I've met plenty of people who lack empathy that are not autistic. I have plenty of empathy, can we stop diagnosing characters based on harmful stereotypes??
1. I was basing it off of my own experiences as an autistic person

2. Nowhere did I say all autistic people lack empathy, in all honesty I forgot I had even wrote this comment, I don't even think I was speaking of Touno specifically, but a few in this manga who I Headcanon as autistic

3. While I agree "lacks empathy" is a harmful stereotype, in this case I relate to Touno. In my own experience, there have been times where I feel like I lack empathy, but as I've learned more about myself, and spoken to other people like me, I have learned that the reality is I just experience, and express it differently. His yearning for human connection despite the fact he feels unworthy of it because of his supposed "lack of empathy" reminds me of myself and my journey.
There are so many people out there who are "different" but it was never enough for concern, and now they go though life w/o a diagnosis wondering why they do x y z

Users who are viewing this thread