I'm in Love with the Villainess

Dex-chan lover
This novel's first full major arc, over a hundred chapters, are my favorite light novels. The story represents LGBTQ well, and it seems that the author put some of her lived experience into the emotions of the characters. The plot slowly adds new genre elements with a reasonable amount of foreshadowing. The pace of character and world-building in the first long arc is almost perfect. Only caveat is
that this story has little development of its male characters and has no gay male characters like an opposite of most yaoi romances, but it does spend time on gender identity!

I guess I'd better donate to Inori.'s fanbox now. https://inori-0.fanbox.cc/ If you start the novels, take a break after reading the first giant arc so you can get the headspace to give more benefit of the doubt to the more difficult-to-follow second arc. The most recent chapters are great and seem to be heading to a conclusion sometime in 2021.

@ThisMe "If you don't like LGBTQ+ people voicing out their opinions, then stop clicking on manga featuring lesbians" = "If you don't like cooking, then stop eating."

@ArinChicken as i have already said, I only read @ThisMe 's last comment at first and my response was to that originally but then I noticed you guys were having a back and forth and I didn't wanna read all of it so I glossed over the last 3 comments, 2 of which were of @ThisMe and 1 that was yours, so I agreed with you, and I still agree with you on that point but after making that edit I thought "maybe I should read the back and fourth" and so I did. After getting the full context, I couldnt side with anyone in the original topic and I am not gonna elaborate on it, I dont wanna write another essay. Although I dont side with either of you, I am siding with you in the last 3 (i guess 4 now) comments . I think my phrasing might be a bit off here and there so I am sorry about that. I just woke up haha.

@ThisMet you don't see straight people demanding representation because they already have it. In every single form they can get it. LGBTQ+ representation is much harder to come by, and even when we do, it's usually catered towards straight people. The most common examples being over-sexualization and putting the LGBTQ person in the wrong. Like the movie Love Simon, where HE was wrong for not coming out sooner, or this manga, where Rei is a manipulative perv.

I don't condone attacking the creator for not having it, but doing it wrong is damaging to the image of LGBTQ+. One of the biggest ways homophobes have turned people off supporting gay rights is by representing gay men as pedophiles.

Both sides are extremely loud on whether or not something gets representation. Just look at the responses to there being a non-binary option in Call of Duty. The difference is that homophobia is normalized, whereas demanding for rights and representation is not. It's a easier to put LGBTQ+ people in the spotlight for being irrational. Again, attacking a creator is never good, but it's not as if we're the main perpetrators.

I don't know what I expected from this comment section...

We all know Japan isn't the best with lgbtq+ representation, give the author some slack with trying to convey the message.

To those who don't like this kind of messaging why click on the manga, just stop reading the ones you don't like. I'm not going to argue your world view if you're deadest on whatever you want

I'm gonna be honest, I'm very happy that the story is progressing, it's always interesting to see the premises of how love can be bittersweet. I've personally experienced it where the person I liked wasn't interested in me, but I've gladly supported them to the person of their affection and that relationship had been running well as far as I've known.

Really hope they don't cook out and have it end happily for the MC, although I really do wish that would happen. I want this to end like a well developed narrative rather than the usual happy go lucky isekai schtick

I’m confusion what the hell is is going on In the comment section LMFAO
I had to search up a whole bunch of terms to understand what the fuck they’re All talking about

@FrenchToost your missing a key part about rae having read the light novel minor light novel spoilers
alot of how she acts is a coping mechanism as she dont think she will find love and early on she is clearly having trouble seeing claire as a real person and not a video game character she tones tings down as things go forward

I just enjoy the story for its jokes. Idk why people feel the need to be proper represented. i’m ace and that’s even rarer to see in a manga, but I haven’t seen any fellow aces complaining. People are too self-absorbed to realise that not everything is about them.

Japan is a different culture from the west, so don’t expect that manga will have everything that a western reader agrees with. These manga are originally intended for Japanese audience, we get to read them in English cuz people are translating them illegally. If you don’t like how the Japanese do it, then Manga is not something you should read.

@aceina You may be right. I by no means hate this manga, in fact it's one of my favorites at the moment. Despite qualms I have with it, I still really enjoy it. I like how the author has taken the time to put a more serious perspective on it, however out of place it was.

@meic24 okay so... so far there hasn’t been any publish of manga yet? Eng/jap?

But I mean the light novel is also incredible. Is understandable and all that.

as a lesbian i 100% condone this plot and i would absolutely love it of some people stopped holding stories about women loving women up to some sort of purity standard. guess what, we're allowed to be messy in fiction and it doesn't mean it's morally wrong or upholding an homophobic agenda. stop looking at everything through a westerner lens too.

ps: go support the author!!! they're most likely lgbt themselves and deserve some recognition for their hard work

Claire is such a deeply relatable character, i really like how they’re written and the illustrations even more so.

I’m glad the manga remains pure and fuzzy. It’ll be accessible to more people this way, and some of us are really put off by too much intimacy - it also would be very inappropriate in the setting presented.

I was worried MC might be emotionally impervious but it turns out she’s a person, too. I appreciate a lot of things in this manga. I feel like it gives me a safe and comfortable way to explore my own curiosities without pushing any boundaries. I can’t tell if i am leaning towards an interest in bisexuality or if i just appreciate a romance without sexual tension, but it’s fun to find out.

Dex-chan lover
Dear perpetually offended,

There is room for all kinds of creative works. The author owes you nothing, and should not change their work based on what you deem is "enough" gayness. Do not insult this excellent manga with your flimsy convictions. Leave your poisonous, anti-creative western mentality at the door, or on twitter. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread