I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12.1 - Publisher 2nd Edition

You know, every time I pick up a new manga that looks like it deals with social issues and is also fantasy, I hope that it actually manages to be more than what it always is. The shame is that we can't get manga which has the imagination to deal with actual realistic issues/ make realistic characters AND have a fantasy setting. These otome game isekai can get kinda close when they parody the genre, but all too often they just fall into this trap of just pretending to be parody while actually playing everything straight.

Dex-chan lover
@Chiiiinnnnggggg
No, the point of the story doesn't really change because this was never about "skin color".
The color change was a visual trope used to give an obvious indication that she is now also blessed by the Light Spirit... King?
The point was always about blessings and how she had the blessing of the Dark Spirit King, who caused large-scale destruction generations ago. (Which was in retaliation to abuse on his chosen one at the time, by the way.)
So the story doesn't change. It's not a story of skin color or racism. It's a story about "guilt by association" and "arguments of authority". She was originally "guilty" because she was protected by the Dark Spirit King, who was basically known as a mass murderer. And now, she's "innocent" because the Light Spirit King(?) said so. Everything stays the same, though they had to remove references to her change in appearance. And it's exactly as stupid as racism by the way, to the point that it can be used as a metaphor for racism. If you really want to.

I while I personally prefer chocolate Claudia I felt the vanilla Claudia had more impact when suddenly people and her family started cozing up to her just because her skin color had changes

Aggregator gang
oh thank god this change happened. kinda surprising to see that even the japanese audience might've been turned off by the skin colour change.

Umm... In the LN... Claudia's skin did change... The author specifically mentioned it. So the publisher took some liberty with it....

Fed-Kun's army
oh wow i mean i could deal with a color change when the author wants it for the plot but giving in to psychos and change it back is just weak :D

Group Leader
This is kinda retarded. I like the dark skin better but this fucks with the plot bruh

whahahaha, weaak publisherss. HAHHAHAA,

ughh, somebody protec mc

#say no to redemption arc of parents...
#they dont deserve mc

(FOR NOW)

Dex-chan lover
images

and now we back into a less impact full depiction of discrimination :/ this is now less like real life where society will judge you by appearance and discriminate by the minor of outliers, now it's easier to say it's because magic that she's discriminated this would never be true in the real world.

sigh

Group Leader
I highly doubt Japanese people complained about it. For them dark skin in manga is just a character's trait, not race issues.
Remember, Japan didn't go through African slavery like the New World did.

Dex-chan lover
How people feel about her in this magic and blessings-based society is now 'oh she got the blessing of the light king? she's totally okay with us now!'
And that still works out? Like I would presume word of mouth worked fast that she got the blessing, so of course people's attitudes changed.

@AureaYami assuming the plot wasn't already fucked. It came to the point that the novel fan translation stopped because they couldn't handle the nonsense the author wrote destroying their braincells (they said they would end the translation another time tho).

Dex-chan lover
so her soul turned ugly when she recovered her past live memories? then probably she was rotten in her previous life...

Users who are viewing this thread