Imagine 29

Sem

Dex-chan lover
I get that this is an old comic, but I really don't like these types of josei stories. It feels so preachy and the men that appear in these sorts of stories only exist as one dimensional cardboard cutouts for the main character to evaluate.

Hopefully the notion that women and men need to be a certain way and get married by a certain time is outdated by now.

TYSM! I'm a sucker for these types of stories. I'll die happy if all of Makimura Satoru's works are scanlated ;_;

Maybe I should learn Japanese finally...

Dex-chan lover
This is really well done. The major characters are well drawn, they're quite different kinds of people and their interactions and conflicts ring true. There's some funny bits, and the characters' troubles and conflicts lead to reflection and some degree of growth, and so on.
But I'm dropping it. I don't think it's really the manga's fault, but I'm just not enjoying it. I think it's because I don't actually like any of those well-drawn characters very much, or the places their growth is taking them. Like, in Oishii Kankei by the same author, the characters' growth was tending to take them towards being awesome chefs who made really delicious food; I could get behind that. But here the MC is in a business environment and the objective is to be hyperefficient at doing generic Japanese business, and her romance choices are a kind of selfish, somewhat childish jerk businessman (her ex) or a cold, hypercompetent businessman who spends his entire energy systematically excelling at doing Japanese business stuff which, if it disappeared from the face of the earth, not a single person would notice. On the other hand her younger sister and her younger sister's boyfriend want to follow their hearts while ignoring getting into huge debts, and don't seem to be that sure where "following their hearts" would even lead them--they're idiots. And somehow I feel like the manga is implicitly saying life is that choice: You can be a drone or a moron (and character growth makes you a better drone). So the result just doesn't make me emotionally satisfied.
But that's a personal thing, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread