Inactive manga/manhwa/manhua :rejected:

Status
Not open for further replies.
is a Reindeer
VIP
@elhessan Just because a chapter has bad quality doesn't mean we can just assume it's trolling. We don't enforce quality standards either, because as you said, we don't have any intention of bullying newcomers away from the scene. Newcomers are the ones typically releasing the worst quality stuff out there.

"Fake/Troll Chapters" covers chapters that aren't even related to the manga (fake) or chapters that aren't even an attempt at scanlation, making up words, editing the art with memes (trolling)

Dex-chan lover
@Holo I'm not limiting the 'what' but the timelines... i don't know many, but i saw one in my favorite manga, Milady Wants to Relax. 2 months, and the previous one suddenly spawned and told the new scanlator to back off.. can you imagine if you are the newcomer? against one big group? this is what i am saying, why we need such rules. so that, oh, okay, it has been abandoned for certain periods of time, so i can pick it up and it is, within the rule, so, less people will say that the new guys are snipping. and IF the previous group want to, the can converse in nice way.. maybe ask him/her/them/the newcomer to join their group, instead being like this https://mangadex.org/title/37041/milady-just-wants-to-relax
that is a one big mess...

@Plykiya
yeah, so, if you don't use bots that automatically check whether it was a fake chapter or just trolling around, you can manually see, right? and you guys can also see how many people reported it, so you can give warning or just down with banhammer... that's moderators' jobs, no?

Double-page supporter
The reason why NU can police novel translation scene is that they're the sole source of traffic and discoverability. And their rules are quite obnoxious since they allow individuals to hold series hostages with minimum effort to farm donations. Hilariously enough, the last time they had to change their rules, to my knowledge, was when an actual translator sniped a series that was being translated with google for donations. 🙃

Dex-chan lover
@Halo I know that too. but then at least they're active to, both in the forum and in the NU. yes, they are the sole source of traffic, but if you Google it, you can also see other site that put the translation of the novel you searched.
Hilariously enough, the last time they had to change their rules, to my knowledge, was when an actual translator sniped a series that was being translated with google for donations. 🙃
that's not even the most hilarious part. there are many... yes, there are lots of drama too in the Forum... some even blatantly mock each other (which, I am sure it broke the rules). but yes, nothing is perfect. but at least with regulations, we can reduce the damage... or you say that, we just stay and do nothing, and let it become a mess?

is a Reindeer
VIP
@elhessan Just because reports are made doesn't mean they're valid. There's no warning or ban to give out just because someone releases a chapter that looks awful.

can you imagine if you are the newcomer? against one big group?
A majority of MangaDex staff are scanlators themselves so yes, we can understand. If the newcomer wants to keep releasing chapters, they can. There's literally nothing that the big group can do to get other people to stop scanlating the same series as them because the site is ran by us, not them. It clearly doesn't seem like the newcomer stopped so they don't seem too bothered by it

NASS has been getting more shit than they've been giving out, people are adults and can make decisions for themselves

Dex-chan lover
@Plykiya
Just because reports are made doesn't mean they're valid.

that's where the mods come.. to review the report whether it is valid or not.. if it's just some people who wanted to take down the chapter uploaded by certain group or something or the chapter itself is just a trolling/fake, you can decide it.

There's literally nothing that the big group can do to get other people to stop scanlating

yes, not directly.. you said
A majority of MangaDex staff are scanlators themselves
so they can be biased. also bigger group tends to have more loyal fans, and they can even report the chapter being fake or just being toxic and discouraging the new guys.

many here said "no ownership" but in reality, they just can tell someone to back off or being toxic and discouraging people, trolling and stuff. hence, making more drama in MD.

is a Reindeer
VIP
so they can be biased
Biased about what? To who? Most of us are in solo groups or at most 3 or 4 people. We definitely aren't taking the sides of any big groups, if any

they can even report the chapter being fake
does absolutely nothing except get their report permissions taken away for being an idiot and wasting our time

being toxic
gets their comment moderated if it falls under any of our forum rules

Do you have anything else that hasn't been repeated regarding your original suggestion of "marking a series as inactive if a group hasn't released it in 3 months"?

Group Leader
Yeah create your own ideal site then. That solves your problem without throwing some rocks here.

I'm serious, if you want to give that /long/
and "sincere' feedback, then discord, not F here.

Edit:

"or, you can just not open this thread..
..."

Oh, f genius! Thanks a lot

"... simple.. you're not even a mod. and, if i recall correctly, this is sub mod for suggestion, ..."

Not for debate, right? Uh, I see. Thanks!

"... this is just a suggestion to improve this site and of why we need this kind of regulation in order for drama to be appearing less and less in MD. ..."

you're f late moron, you know nothing then this is your sUgGesTiON? Wow, again, f genius!

"... so why are you so bothered? 🤣 ..."

Hail idealism, someone can't comment to idealism. Scarrryyy 😱😱😱

Ok Mr. Idealism, you got all you want. Now f off and read your beloved shit.

Sincerely~
Axing Your Head.

@elhessan

Dex-chan lover
@Plykiya
Biased about what? To who? Most of us are in solo groups or at most 3 or 4 people.
who knows... i'm not accusing or pointing any fingers.. it's just that human nature proves that it could happen. from the drama in Lady Baby (iirc) someone even pointed a finger.

Do you have anything else that hasn't been repeated regarding your original suggestion of "marking a series as inactive if a group hasn't released it in 3 months"?
and do you have something otherwise to convince me that it really is not necessary?

1. you said about neutrality - this rule/regulation won't make you to pick side
2. no real ownership - with the drama that is going on in here, people accuse of sniping, someone being told to back off and thing, this proves my point that we do need this kind of rule
3. it will make less people chew more than they can bite. if they have too many projects at hands and left some others to rot, with this regulation, when they come back and see someone already uploaded it, they can't just tell that person to back off. and perhaps, in the end, instead telling them to back off, they will welcome the new guy or at least persuade them to join the group if they still want the series under them, instead making it a drama and ruined the enjoyment of reading.
does absolutely nothing except get their report permissions taken away for being an idiot and wasting our time
- so it's also applied for the opposite. you are afraid someone will post fake/troll chapter
5. it is not about competition, where 1 manga was being scanlated by 2 groups at the same time. but this is for the long abandoned manga (not included the ones that are in hiatus or the ones that are out 1 per 3 months for example).

so yeah, those are my reasons why i think we need it..

Dex-chan lover
@axelTHEGREAT
or, you can just not open this thread.. simple.. you're not even a mod. and, if i recall correctly, this is sub mod for suggestion, this is just a suggestion to improve this site and of why we need this kind of regulation in order for drama to be appearing less and less in MD.
so why are you so bothered? 🤣

@Plykiya
The point of these forums isn't to convince you, they're to convince us. It's the forum for MangaDex suggestions, not a debate platform.
Sadly it is.. since people can also butting in, so it has become debate forum. since i don't even know whom i talked with. which one is mod and which one is not, until I opened the page to know whom should i converse with (the mods)

my 4th points refers to this
The repercussions of giving the group who released first ownership of a series for 3 months would be way more toxic than whatever sniping drama you're saying. Imagine the kind of trolls that would release something in awful quality with translations that barely make sense before any other group could work on a series so that they own it, wait 3 months, then release another shitty chapter, effectively denying any group that actually wanted to work on the series.
like you said, if the report is fake, you do nothing, if it's true, you take it down, yes? so, you still can see whether it was trolling or not.

1, it is not.. it is just for regulating, for example: if no updates withing certain periods, then it is not snipping, therefore, anyone who released the chapter is not considered snipping. if the release is accepted by the readers, no complain. if not, when a good one came in, the readers can choose, but then, they can't point their finger to the newcomer who has good scans as sniper. because, in the first place, i said this for the long forgotten series.
2. it is. so that this won't happen again. the drama of snipping, sniper, snipped.
3. yes they're free, but then, they got busy, and then this happens. i don't know if it's the first, but i don't think it is. if it has happened for few times, and this drama occurs every time, you don't need to babysit, but, at least you can provide certain assurance to the one who wanted to pick up the long abandoned series that they are not sniper.
5. like i said, this is only for the long abandoned. yes it has broad meaning, but you guys can define it.. maybe 1 month? 2? 3? 4? just saying that if no update for that certain period of time, therefore, it is not a case of sniping, sniper, snipped or whatever it is called..

the previous scans can also put theirs again, but they must bear the consequences (i.e to be called lazy, drama king/queen, sniper, etc) themselves, it's not yours to babysit/burden.

Double-page supporter
1. you said about neutrality - this rule/regulation will make them stick their head in what is essentially other people's business
2. no real ownership - with the drama that is going on in here, people accuse of sniping, someone being told to back off and thing, this proves that we need to get rid of comments.
3. It will make big groups that want to hang onto a manga post even lower effort scanalations to hold onto the manga
4.What? this makes no sense
5. It's going to remove the ability for 2 groups to work on a manga at the same time, one producing better quality one releasing faster. It would just be first come, first serve and quality wouldn't matter.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@elhessan
do you have something otherwise to convince me that it really is not necessary?
The point of these forums isn't to convince you, they're to convince us. It's the forum for MangaDex suggestions, not a debate platform.

1. Yes, it does make us pick sides. It would force us to side with whoever released first.
2. It doesn't prove that we need the rule, it's just a byproduct of being neutral. If you implement the rule, then you have an entirely different set of issues you need to deal with. Scanlation is illegal, piracy is illegal, nobody owns what they work on. it's as simple as that.
3. Groups are free to pick up any amount of series they want to work on. We're not babysitters that need to tell groups when to stop picking up new stuff
4. I have no idea what this point means. We have a fake/troll chapter report reason because it can happen, so yes? That's... entirely the point of why it exists. It doesn't at all cover what I said earlier about groups speed releasing things for new series and preventing other people from working on it if we did have an inactivity rule.
5. "Long abandoned" and yet NASS has newly released chapters of the series. People have different definitions of what's considered abandoned. They could never release a chapter for years and still not consider it abandoned. Inactivity rules open up way too many issues that we don't have any interest in handling.

I've answered all the points you brought up in some form or another so I guess this thread will be closed.

Miku best girl
Admin
For the record, a lot of staff don't agree with sniping outside of very specific situations either. For example, I don't think sniping is right if the sniped group is up to date with a series and is doing a good job with it. In this situation, the sniping group is usually doing it in bad faith (either for financial gain or some other questionable motive).

But even so, groups don't have a monopoly over any titles, and staff are not going to enforce a group's "ownership" of a title they have no entitlement to in the first place. Groups are free to express their dislike of being sniped. What the sniper does in response is up to the sniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread