Inaka no Home Center Otoko no Jiyuu na Isekai Seikatsu - Ch. 4.1

Dex-chan lover
Problem is, more often than not these dumb MCs let these guys go, and then NOTHING HAPPENS. The author just treats them as 100% reformed after an ass-beating and everything is peachy, which is somehow even worse than just letting them run amok because it adds to the supposed superiority complex the MC has.

Ugh, it wasn't enough that he didn't tie them up or take them to a nearby city/town (because let's face it, what kind of bandit hides out in the middle of nowhere if there's no travelers passing by?! so there must be a settlement nearby) or even "better yet" just kill them to make sure it never happens again, but he healed them completely too?!?? He's just begging for them to raid the next group of travelers!! Seriously, I don't think the bandit encounter did anything to serve the story except "oh, MC kinds strong, MC good guy, MC IDIOT!"

Dex-chan lover
Oh great! WE GOT FUCKING MURDEROUS BANDITS STILL RUNNING AROUND WANTING TO ROB AND KILL THE NEXT PERSON THEY SEE CAUSE THEY HAVE NOTHING NOW THANKS TO YOU!!! What a fucknut 🤦‍♂️

Fed-Kun's army
It's okay if your translations are slow, we are lucky to have your kindness. Be sure to take care of your life and health first, we can always wait. <3

Dex-chan lover
No, they lost. He took away their possessions. Acquired by them in a uncouth way or not. It's not a win-win. And while some of them will indeed be grateful they are still alive, I imagine, the others will still hold a grudge. Those are the bastards that are dangerous for MC. But the real point is, that of the grateful bandits most are going to be thankful only to MC. They will still murder any other passerby. So MC didn't do a good thing, by not removing them, when he had the chance.

Hmmm...Something new on my isekai cheat ability list: The ability to store living things, like people, in a timeless stroageroom/itembox. And I don't want to ask them for their okay. Just "wanting" to be in the itembox and they are gone, frozen in time.

Aggregator gang
This chapter was the last straw. Series is completely ruined by this naive 'common sense' that the author has instilled into his story, MC is the most laughable and naive fool I've ever seen. This makes the blatant Japanese favoritism with the chopsticks in the last chapter seem like a joke in comparison.

A lot of these Japanese authors apparently don't understand human nature, people don't stop doing bad things just because they are beaten and preached to, you aren't fixing the root problems of why they are doing bad things and maybe they aren't even (feasibly) solvable. Most sensible people in a world like this should ALWAYS assume they aren't solvable unless there are special reasons and should just kill bandits on sight, which is the most correct decision.

@bladestorm91 Thing is even if you're right about killing the bandits, the MC is originally from our age. He isn't used to living in a time where killing humans was "common", killing monster is different as you can compare them to animals. Killing people is not something anyone can do. Him healing them, is not smart by any amount, but the bandit have already lost to him so their morals was broken so they won't fight back anyway, will they keep stealing/robbing, probably, but it's all about the conciousness of the MC himself.

It would be the same if the MC lived during the middle ages and was then reincarnated in "our timeline" he would kill a robber/chop his right hand, something that is look upon very negitavely today, he would be even be branded a murderer for killing a murdere/rapist/...

What looks like common sense today isn't common sense 200+ years ago and vice versa. So saying just kill them might be right, it just something the MC can't do mentally. Ask yourself, would you able to kill a random thug in the street after you've beaten him? Killing other humans is somethign that goes against our nature, hence is why most soldier that return have some sort of PTSD.

Saving lives says a lot about an author. And I don't mean the act itself.
I mean what comes after the lives are saved.

(Spoiler due to speculation and not due to certain knowledge of what comes next.)
Is the author trying to show how "great" and "perfect" the MC is? Then there likely won't be repercussions, in fact we may never see any follow up. Only we the readers know that our pleasantly helpful Home Center employee is still someone you'd be willing to ask home improvement questions to, and can trust them. A "fool me once, shame on you", sort of situation.

Is the author showing us how naive the MC is? Then, very soon, those same bandits will do very bad things to people/things the MC cares about making the MC think it was his fault for those actions. It will be a "moment for growth" if you will. Likely, breaking the morals the MC has and forging a new set of less-forgiving morals. This would be the "fool me twice, shame on me."

Will the author emphasize how moral others are? Honor among thieves may show up and the MC, by saving the lives of the bandits, is now responsible for an "honorable" quasi-military group. A less dark version of "the MC is now responsible for the actions of those he's saved."

Is the author showing how desperate the bandits' situation is? Perhaps these are the only surviving townsfolk of the seaside town and they've turned a little depraved due to all their family being killed. I'm not saying that all goblins that raid, and have control of towns, would drive people to bad choices, but it's possible that's where the author is going.

Is the author showing how our MC is changing the "common sense" of the world? We know our MC is already influencing the rabbitfolk, crafting a safer place to live with more modern life amenities, and the goddess stated she wanted a revolution. Part of modern life is not murdering everyone who's crossed you, and more importantly not needing to do so. Going from revenge "eye for an eye" to a more complex system of "crime deserves punishment". We may see him codify laws, or, we may see some laws go in to place from people observing his modern behavior.

Is the author making some sort of Byzantine plot? We might see the bandits return to a leader and now our MC is on the radar of a powerful organization he'll have to deal with in the future for good or ill. Maybe they're even "privateers" sent out by some king somewhere.

Speaking of large organizations, does the author like a recurring "evil" punching bag? This could be Team Rocket situation. Our MC is making a very nice target of the village for a bandit group to try to raid. But even with just Ash-- I mean Masaru, they're vastly out of their league, and if all goes well the rabbitfolk are likely going to be well trained and better equipped. The bandit group may be a recurring group of weak, but hopeful villains.
I mean, one of the tags is Slice of Life.

Whichever direction the author decides to take this I'm interested to see it.

Aggregator gang
@jackty89 This would be too long of a reply if I went in detail to counter some of your arguments, so I'll just say this. Common sense is indeed different between now and 200+, but there is a thing called 'not being fucking stupid', also called pragmatism. This is especially applicable in a lawless land/world, sometimes doing the right thing means killing people, morally and/or practically. And if you don't seriously fight back to kill when your life is in danger, then you deserve to get natural selectioned out of the gene pool if you DO get killed. Getting PTSD as a consequence is mild in comparison.

Group Leader
Fucking hell...another series with a spineless MC that spares evil people so they can be free to murder/steal/rape/pillage again, and not suffering any consequences for their past heinous crimes. It's one thing to not have the balls to take a life, but it's another to also heal them on top of that. I wish I could give this series a negative number rating, as I feel even 1/10 is too generous.

Contributor
Hypocritical trash, all their future crimes are your fault. 🤬

And that the fight was almost completely skipped, is really a bad job from author and artist... and seriously using that club as weapon? He has a fucking blacksmith ability, but rather than crafting himself a weapon he uses that goblin club... well, that he survived the forrest, is thanks to plot armor anyway... so whatever... 😩

Double-page supporter
@Lysseon It's not unrealistic for someone who just got transferred to a new world to not have overcome society's conditioning against killing other humans, especially in cold blood after the fight like this.
It would have been interesting to see how the author would have handled it if the MC was armed with a sword or axe. Something more lethal than a club, with a good possibility of inflicting a lethal wound without the wielder specifically trying to do so.

*comes back to rabbit village just in time to see the bandits he spared doing things...dark things*

Dex-chan lover
*comes back to rabbit village just in time to see the bandits he spared doing things...good things* Now the bandits have reformed, and are working as farmers.
I wonder if his healing skill is broken enough to make bad people into good people.

@jackty89 > Ask yourself, would you able to kill a random thug in the street after you've beaten him?
Knowing myself - yes, I would probably keep beating them even after they've stopped breathing. But not kill them after the fight is over, unless he threatens me.

Speaking of murder, can I have a copy of that bible that says "bad guys have no rights"? I want to claim it's my religion afterwards. Hmm... and kill some politicians while I'm at it. This should help me spread my new religion.

Group Leader
Ah yes, The classic "saving a murderous bandit" trope. And here I was thinking the next sickening trope was going to be an entire chapter about how great japanese food is, maybe even some foodgasms along the way.

Dex-chan lover
"I let the bandits go after taking their supplies, it's a win-win situation!" Well, until the bandits are even more desperate for money and they attack and rob/rape/kill some other innocent travelers.

Dex-chan lover
"Let the humans who chased us out of our old home know we're doing fine" :unironically smug face:

Are You Sure About That?

Dex-chan lover
armor with manboobs lol

anyway, excessive kindness is DANGEROUS!!! did he expect each of those bandits becomes saints later???
at least break their legs.... sure they died later anyway LOL (with capital)

Users who are viewing this thread