Internet Explorer - Ch. 31 - Chrome & Bing

You want to know what the older Internet Explorer has over all other browsers that I know of? Its History tab, it's fucking perfect. It's divided into day folders for the current week and week folders for the previous weeks, open the day/week folder and what do you see? Site folders in alphabetical order! Open a site folder and what's that? All visited pages in the neat and tidy alphabetical order! It's fucking good. All other browsers, including newer versions of IE? Toilet paper rolls. Visited pages are put not in the alphabetical order but in the order of you visiting them and there's NO folders.

I have a similar problem with sites like Twitter, oh it's so modern and cool looking... And has toilet paper rolls for pages that just EAT YOUR FUCKING RAM the more you scroll through them. What sick fuck decided that toilet paper rolls are superior to normal pages?

@Qelix I usually use 'tabs from last time' option and pray it works on IE, but 10000tabs sounds like a dream. Usually I have a lot of bookmarks because my PC also runs things like video editing at the same time. I'll try Waterfox later! And those tab plugins ^^'
35 Tabs is most of the time pushing my tablet, which only got 2GB ram, and visiting an intense webpage. Or it just gives up after some warnings and gives me a BSoD.

Dex-chan lover
@Sutaiko: Just to make sure, I don't recommend leaving 10000 tabs open. XD Waterfox is the only "memory intensive" application I'm running most of the time. Of course it hordes a big chuck of memory from the get go, if you restore such monstrous sessions. But right now it hugs ~2GB with ~200 tabs leaving 3.7GB untouched, eventhough there is no other application fighting with it. (Win7/Desktop PC) But even with thousands of tabs opened, it behaved pretty well, when I started virtual PCs or blender and surrendered quiet some chunks of memory.
There is good reason to test it with video editing software like you use and see how it goes. I'd be happy if it works out, but only a test can show that. If it doesn't it's a pity, but life goes on. :D

Dex-chan lover
@Qelix
10000+ tabs
Damn, teach me your ways, i'm only on 3000 tabs, atm. Multi-row (like Opera before it went WebKit, but with fixed number of rows) tabbar is a must for me. If not for this I'd have probably bitten the bullet and went along with Firefox Quantum a while ago.
BTW, the actual bottleneck of having this many tabs is the storage (mostly speed). Session files could reach GBs with all those tabs and their history, and reading/saving them could be a bitch (i've got HDD and it takes quite some time). Get it corrupted and you bye-bye session (god, i've had to fix them with partially loading text editors a few times).
As for RAM i believe extensions are a biggest offender (especially legacy ones), so one has to take care of what he adds to Waterfox (an internal task manager, like in Chrome or Firefox 64 would have been nice). Also, unlike Chrome Foxes don't unload inactive tabs (which i prefer actually, i hate when Google tries to be smart where it wasn't asked to), though i believe there are a few extensions that do it (some even allow unloading tabs manually).

@InedibleSpook
Rule Waterfox: There is an extension for that. Sorry, not actually true, but there might be.

Dex-chan lover
@HYBRID_BEING: Kukuku. I will share my knowledge with you, young one.... But don't expect too much. Aside from only installing a few essential addons (okay, 12 addons...more than I thought) including session manager, I believe there is no secret to it. You wrote that the session files, you have, can reach sizes of 1+GB. My biggest session backups in my profile folder from last month (before the corruption of my old session happened) is just around ~140MB. This contains all windows+tabs, their respective histories (I believe up to around 30 of the last visited pages) and the page's icons coded in base64 (those make up the major portion of it). I guess it's TabMixPlus that stores additional informations in your case. It has been years since I tried it, then something changed back then, I made a new slim profile, which became my major profile, and as I simply forgot to reinstall and test TabMixPlus further. Gomen ne
So, in my case all tabs got "automatically" unloaded whenever I restarted Waterfox for what reason ever. Since I mostly only restart Waterfox, when memory runs out, I did that every few (3-7) weeks. And that's all that is to it. No big secret to my "success".

But I have to tell you, a really fast SSD does make a whole lot of a difference. I build a new budget rig around two years ago: It has the "shittyiest" cpu (intel g3900 (Celeron for ~30€ back then)) and I "only" bought 8GB instead of 32GB as I wanted to keep the price low. (Didn't want to spend too much money on expensive ram and wanted to wait for 1/2-1 year until the prices would drop again....still waiting today. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) Buuuut I bought a bit better Mainboard (4 slots ddr4, iommu, 2 m.2-key slots) and I burned the limited budget I set for myself on a 256GB Samsung SM961 SSD and boy....I'm not regretting it. The CPU is the bottleneck and it's clearly not make to play 2017 blockbuster games, also 256GB is not much, but for everyday tasks, a bit rendering and pre2014 games it's more then enough and feels NICE! -> Go and get yourself a SSD with +1GB writing speed (preferable M.2-key). You own it to yourself!

Calling the G3900 "shitty" was sarcasm. You couldn't go wrong with it for a new low-low-end PC in 2017. For 30 bucks it's amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread