Iris Zero - Vol. 8 Ch. 42

Dex-chan lover
so Kaya's Iris is seeing "friend list"? that's explain why she asked her teacher about her brother does not have friend.

but yeah 3 month update is just sad. I had to reread the arc from the beginning to connect the story.

Dex-chan lover
So what is it that makes the MC's... usual companions "not his friends"? If they're not his friends, does anyone have friends, according to the sister's Iris?

Dex-chan lover
maybe because Tooru is still unstable he doesn't know whether to consider them real friends, and maybe the Iris only shows friends lists where both sides agree to be friends.

@AlmondMagnum
I suppose she sees people her brother considers friends. And he's not even sure if Sasamori is his friend (she recently upgraded from "just friends"), while the rest of the main cast he sees as Sasamori's friends rther than his own due to his self confidence.
@ickdrasil
The artist was hospitalized for a long time and then also forbidden from drawing for medical reasons for over a year. She'll get better with time again.

Dex-chan lover
yooooooooooooo

Toru never did mention what he thought of Sasamori's confession. He wasn't the one who mentioned the "friends into the future" scenario, it could very well be that "qualified" was not just about his own feelings, but how they come into play suspecting that Sasamori was "not looking at Toru". Lie Detector and Emotion arrow can't do anything against delusion, and it looks like the Butterfly can't detect the overall stability of a person either.

Hold the phone. Is this going to question Sasamori's Iris as well?

Dex-chan lover
Tbh, that third clue for this case, the pendant and Rei, is kind of...forceful?
I don't know, I just felt like it's out of place. ?

Contributor
in normal manga
a friend is establish if they have lunch, going home, confess though about each other, solve misunderstanding, birthday, summer break, new year, valentine event
but in iris zero
Tooru was just solving problems tool in the start thanks to one iris and then people start to create problem for him to solve thanks to certain someone useless
you like someone cause they got dark past and kind enough to solve your problems
now i wish it just curious, got to see that again

Dex-chan lover
Maybe Tooru has so severe trust issues, that he can't mutually see them as friends. And as he is denying all their friendrequests, they aren't on his friendlist.

OMG. It's Slanderman! Koyuki saw Slanderman and it got her killed! I can't believe she is dead.

I'm just glad the story is back.

Dear Mangaka-san please take care of your body and eat well.

We are just glad to see this back again :D

Apologies for the mistranslation everyone's pointed out. It was caused by the use of "aitsu", the gender-neutral term for "that person", which made it difficult to tell who Toru was speaking to or about in that panel. Combined with a lack of previous confirmation of Kaya's Iris and some strange usage of the term "friend list" in this chapter (mixing with the online game concept), it caused me to flub pretty hard. A fix has been uploaded. Have a great new year, everyone.

Dex-chan lover
At first I thought perhaps it’s just another case of the iris not actually being what they think it is and that the whole “they’re not actually friends” situation is a misunderstanding.

However, the panel where little sis summed up the relationship as “hanging around him because he has a useful skill” is probably how toru unconsciously views it as well. Which is weird to me since it wasn’t that long ago he was being quite accepting of them.

In any case, it’s definetly not that they don’t see him as a friend but it’s an issue with toru himself.

Dex-chan lover
Thank for translation.
This manga is doing a real good job at cliff hanging. Since I don't remember where I left, I just re read a few chapter behind, and it hits me that every chapter is a cliff hanger.
And now even more cliff hanger. Thank author.
The solved case is moving so fast and a bit forced, but the sister scene is so nice, she went from being annoying to being super nice in a second.
That empty friendlist tho.
Do anyone Iris even point at MC before? Maybe he is immune to Iris.

@Koyomiya Toru is accepting, but it doesn't mean he still doesn't mean the entire issue is resolved. Toru can very well accepts and enjoy the company, even cherish it to the point the cares deeply but on some level still keep his heart closed. Kinda depends on the exact nature of his sister's power where the implication means exactly.

Edit: Also I guess this chapter also addressed the last chapter's eyebrow raiser. How the hell Toru's sister was saying he has no friends when literally a friend was over his house.

Dex-chan lover
I'm guessing the 'friend list' she see is 'friend from that person's perspective' and Toru is still denying his friends are friends (i.e. he has their friend request, but haven't accepted them but neither denied them, that sort of situation)

And now we'll get "you thought she's all happy and sunshine? Here, have some tragic backstory" for Sasamori.

Dex-chan lover
@givemersspls I think I remember that actually being a point in an earlier chapter, they have an anchor but if that person disappears they pretty much have barely any reason to hang out with each other.
Granted that it might simply be something different than friends like comrades or something else that her Iris can't detect. Or maybe it's because Toru doesn't perceive them as friends. I guess later chapters will answer that

Dex-chan lover
@givemersspls

I feel like what you're saying is the most correct option but man that's fucking sad. Like even his death-seeing 'best friend' isn't actually his friend? Yet they hang out together and talk all the time?

Well, regardless, even if they don't consider him a real friend - he's Toru, he already knows, understands, and accepts this. And is probably part of the reason why he doesn't accept Sasamori's feelings.

Users who are viewing this thread