Isekai Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan to - Vol. 11 Ch. 154 - Fabiniku Ojisan And The Lady

Dex-chan lover
I don't care about your murrican culture. I was happily reading when I got stuck and confused when I read "they". It's too unnatural there. Author did not intended it not even that character would say it. For Jinguuji, Tachibana is guy and is determined to make sure he gets his body back. At the moment Tachibana has even male body. It's only natural for Jinguju to refer to Tachibana as he. In case when Tachibana has female body I can imagine Jinguuji feeling uncomfortable in front of others refering to Tachibana as he or she so he would just use name. So in conclusion since Jinguuji is just thinking Jinguuji would use "he".

Dex-chan lover
About the they thing the fact is that these two were bff as dudes before all the shenanigans and they still pretty much still consider themselves and each other dudes so forcing pronouns is kinda forced. I think the point of the manga is to showcase how the bond between the two main characters transcends gender barriers and its more of a soulmate thing than romance.
Have you ever considered forcing your ideals on people just make them more resistant to changes ? If you know who you are inside who cares about what pronouns being used ? There will be people who accept and people who wont no matter how much you try to convince them , being all vehement about it will just turn off the people on the neutral camp , just look at how shitty and off putting american christianity zealots are when forcing religion on people.

Dex-chan lover
In English, the use of he, him, or his as a gender-neutral pronoun has traditionally been considered grammatically correct and suitable for this situation. Learn English, please.
It’s not. They is the gender neutral pronoun, and it’s much more socially appropriate and polite to use it in situations. In general just don’t use gendered pronouns
Non native English speakers here.

Using they as sigular really confusing to read.

Oh yeah, also this...
images
Blame the people who helped create this language who never saw the need for a neuter singular
I don't care about your murrican culture. I was happily reading when I got stuck and confused when I read "they". It's too unnatural there. Author did not intended it not even that character would say it. For Jinguuji, Tachibana is guy and is determined to make sure he gets his body back. At the moment Tachibana has even male body. It's only natural for Jinguju to refer to Tachibana as he. In case when Tachibana has female body I can imagine Jinguuji feeling uncomfortable in front of others refering to Tachibana as he or she so he would just use name. So in conclusion since Jinguuji is just thinking Jinguuji would use "he".
Native speaker here, they is correct, and actually just more of a general thing; ie “they(singular) said that the pizza was arriving”
Unfortunately they is both the singular and plural neuter pronoun for English, so if you want to use gender neutral language, which you should, they is the polite way to use it. It exists, but it’s incredibly impolite as “it” implies that you are referring to an object
The way you separate from plural they and singular they is context.
“My friend is bringing pizza for their birthday, they like white pizza, so we’re getting that for them”
“John is a boring person, they never talk about anything interesting”
“Jane is a deer hunter, I wish they wouldn’t, but I can’t stop them”
This is typed, and on my phone, but wherever possible, it’s best to use the neuter they/them as opposed to otherwise

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
@1234muse It's not about being correct English, but what is naturally expected from the character to say. Same as I don't expect character that doesn't know perfect English to speak in perfect English. That character would just not say it. Similarly anti transgender person would never refer mtf ts as woman. Translator is simply forcing their culture onto the character ignoring what that character would in reality say. If you don't understand then I don't know how to explain it to you. From my point of view you have no or limited empathy.

Wow, the comments on this one really making me think we were better off when the forums were kaput. Who knew a comedy could make people so upset. Also, I never knew "they" singular, a word in use since the 1300s, would be so controversial. I didn't even notice it and, thus, am keenly aware this argument is some weird grasping. Yes, English can be confusing for non native speakers. But that is no reason to .... not use it as it exists. Language evolves in a lot of ways. Learning languages is always just putting together the pieces of everything that's come before. When you are confused by something for being outside what you are used to in grammar or spelling, use it as a learning experience instead of getting mad at it for existing. Anyways, I should not have even engaged with this, but I guess I just can't help myself today.

On a more positive note, I always enjoy watching characters fail upward like this. I've definitely been on a kick lately of stories of incompetent or idiotic characters just having everything work out in their favor. It just puts me in a good mood.

Dex-chan lover
@1234muse It's not about being correct English, but what is naturally expected from the character to say. Same as I don't expect character that doesn't know perfect English to speak in perfect English. That character would just not say it. Similarly anti transgender person would never refer mtf ts as woman. Translator is simply forcing their culture onto the character ignoring what that character would in reality say. If you don't understand then I don't know how to explain it to you. From my point of view you have no or limited empathy.
really? 1st, this is a direct translation. Neuter singular was what was used in the original manga, this has already been stated. It’s litterally the words the character did use… like seriously?
Anyway. It’s pretty clear where the priorities are. If you don’t like the themes of the manga, don’t read it

Dex-chan lover
really? 1st, this is a direct translation. Neuter singular was what was used in the original manga, this has already been stated. It’s litterally the words the character did use… like seriously?
Anyway. It’s pretty clear where the priorities are. If you don’t like the themes of the manga, don’t read it
I don't have time to read all the bullshit.
Of course, I've read 154 chapters of something I don't like... :slap:

Dex-chan lover
I really want to comment over the mess in the comment section-
people will pick fights over anything. Even if said person insinuates that there is political implication in fictional piece that by no means reflects reality. It does pollute the eyes, but rather than wasting pages over social commentary- especially when translations are in the realm up for free interpretation and perusal, we should just enjoy the fact that someone decided to translate it to the best of their abilities (not to mention the prep and editing involved) to share the title with the rest of us.

Thank you for the chapter! I've been waiting to see how our pretty-boy will operate. Princess curls is right on the money with Tachibana being cute~ The cat-mouse is the true MVP in getting them into federal prison!

Friendly reminder to learn Japanese so you don't need to rely on third rate translators.
Anyone actually learning Japanese would be able to go on Cycomi, read the original chapter, and understand why 'they' was chosen
I don't have time to read all the bullshit.
I'll help you. "They" is the most literal possible choice. It is the only one that doesn't force the translator's opinions about Jinguuji. "He" and "she" do.

The only translation more literal would be to just insert あいつ in the middle of an English sentence

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The only translation more literal would be to just insert あいつ in the middle of an English sentence

Pronoun
1. he; she; that guy Derogatory, Familiar language, Usually written using kana alone, きゃつ is masc.

I never want to see that guy again.

Pronoun
2. that; that one; that thing Familiar language, Usually written using kana alone

Jisho has pretty wild translation in comparison with "they"

Jisho has pretty wild translation in comparison with "they"
'they' in this scenario means the exact same thing as using 'that guy' in a gender neutral way. Any other subtext you're reading into it is your personal opinion.

You can literally see in the definition that あいつ is used regardless of gender.

This is basic vocabulary in both English and Japanese. I don't blame you since neither is your first language, but why demand they translate less accurately just to suit your opinion?

I can imagine Jinguuji feeling uncomfortable in front of others refering to Tachibana as he or she so he would just use name.
Jinguuji speaks Japanese, he doesn't have to use he or she. Why are you imagining something not in the original? Are you disrespecting the authors and forcing your personal agenda?

Last edited:
I guess when you're that beautiful your luck stat is important. Or else, you become freaking Helen of Troy.

Anyone actually learning Japanese would be able to go on Cycomi, read the original chapter, and understand why 'they' was chosen
Logging in and paying for individual chapters is a pain in the ass. Nobody, not even the Japanese should use those crap services.
'they' in this scenario means the exact same thing as using 'that guy' in a gender neutral way. Any other subtext you're reading into it is your personal opinion.
We know very well who he's talking to, a man, there is absolutely not need to be 'gender neutral'.

'That guy' = 'he'. Like any sane person, I would never refer to someone who I know to be a man as 'they'.

Users who are viewing this thread