Isekai Izakaya "Gen" - Vol. 8 Ch. 48 - The Final Examination

Dex-chan lover
owner is dead has stepped down
long live the owner
...eh, I try
but now I'm hungry and am gonna make an after midnight snack.

Supporter
Would be interesting to see Luca step into the kitchen has a cook. See if he can get training like Hans from the main series.

Contributor
Was the fox the one who cursed him? I thought in the first chapter she showed up she said that she was trying to make him live longer.
Different fox, and it was one of his ancestors that got cursed so every male member of the bloodline died when they hit 60.

The shorty is a Divine Fox, and was trying to save him and family but the curse was too strong to remove. The family probably got cursed by a Nine-Tails, meaning only the direct intervention by a god could save them.

Dex-chan lover
Different fox, and it was one of his ancestors that got cursed so every male member of the bloodline died when they hit 60.

The shorty is a Divine Fox, and was trying to save him and family but the curse was too strong to remove. The family probably got cursed by a Nine-Tails, meaning only the direct intervention by a god could save them.
Is this all based on what's said in chapter 11, or does this get mentioned elsewhere? The way I read it, based on chapter 11, is that there is no curse. The fox's "curse" is actually a blessing that extends the lives of the members of the family to 60 years, assuming they wouldn't have made it to 60 naturally. Sohei says that they "misinterpreted" it, so I took that to mean there isn't an actual curse. The men in their family have just tended to die early, and the foxes were able to help them live to 60, and Sohei is just the first man in his family to make it to be able to make it past 60.

Contributor
Is this all based on what's said in chapter 11, or does this get mentioned elsewhere? The way I read it, based on chapter 11, is that there is no curse. The fox's "curse" is actually a blessing that extends the lives of the members of the family to 60 years, assuming they wouldn't have made it to 60 naturally. Sohei says that they "misinterpreted" it, so I took that to mean there isn't an actual curse. The men in their family have just tended to die early, and the foxes were able to help them live to 60, and Sohei is just the first man in his family to make it to be able to make it past 60.
I read it as there was a curse, but the Divine Guardians managed to extend their lives to 60 but couldn't negate it completely.

The misinterpretation was that Sohei though the Divine Guardian was there to collect his soul, I.E. he's dying right then and there, but she laughed and said why would she bother opening the door and coming in the restaurant to collect it.

Dex-chan lover
I read it as there was a curse, but the Divine Guardians managed to extend their lives to 60 but couldn't negate it completely.

The misinterpretation was that Sohei though the Divine Guardian was there to collect his soul, I.E. he's dying right then and there, but she laughed and said why would she bother opening the door and coming in the restaurant to collect it.
No, the other person is right. There was never any curse. His ancestors were all originally meant to die young, but the fox god extended it to 60. Sohei was the only one who seems to have finally escaped that fate and didn't need the god's life extension.

Dex-chan lover
Bruh, the mom and dad were divorced? I thought that the mom was just not shown much because she has work and/or not involved in managing the store.
Okay, I want to get to the bottom of this. Are they still married or not?

From the way the manga frames, it just shows the wife who works abroad a lot and has less involvement in the restaurant business. Even this chapter mention, wanting to go on more dates with her husband.

Why do they keep describing her, as former wife?

Aggregator gang
So when the father will spoke up about fox messenger? Isn't it about time he told them? I mean he already handed over the shop

Dex-chan lover
No, the other person is right. There was never any curse. His ancestors were all originally meant to die young, but the fox god extended it to 60. Sohei was the only one who seems to have finally escaped that fate and didn't need the god's life extension.
Assuming the translation on ch. 11 is correct, there is a curse that shortens the lifespan of Sohei’s male family members, but it was never discussed as to where the curse originates from. The foxes gave them a blessing/protection that mitigates that effect, which allows a lifespan to around 60. Sohei and his (recent) predecessors mistaken this protection as a curse.

Presumably information was lost over the years and what’s left was something like “Foxes’ encounter” and “lifespan of 60 years for our male family members”, which on their own could be mistaken as the curse.

I also have not seen anywhere that says Sohei managed to overcome this curse, he may age over 60, but as far as he knows Sohei thinks he doesn’t have much more time left.

Dex-chan lover
Okay, I want to get to the bottom of this. Are they still married or not?

From the way the manga frames, it just shows the wife who works abroad a lot and has less involvement in the restaurant business. Even this chapter mention, wanting to go on more dates with her husband.

Why do they keep describing her, as former wife?
With how many times it's stated as such, I think they're divorced - If I remember correctly, 1 time mentioned not divorced and now 3 times mentioned divorced. Maybe they have an understanding - probably his life ending soon, and her working away from home so much, that it's better to split legally?

Dex-chan lover
On a less serious note, this Gen chapter with Sohei “semi-retiring” gives a nice contrast with Nobu, where the taisho is “greener” as a cook in running an izakaya.
I guess that’s why Sohei is always more chill and not worried about his cooking and customer requests as he has matured and has plenty of experience, while Nobu’s taisho ponders about self-improvement as he is only began to spread his wings.

Users who are viewing this thread