Isekai ni Tobasareta Ossan wa Doko e Iku? - Ch. 33 - Ossan and the Shipyard

Paddlewheels for underwater use ? That's plain stupid, as the water sucked from above would cancel the one pushed below. The only "propulsion" it would give would be circular, lifting the nose around the axis of the paddlewheel...

Dex-chan lover
And here I was... Thinking that the joke of a flying or land-crossing ship would be a foreshadow...

@kzwix In a latter page, Takuma says to use the regular propeller we all know and hate, that way "It can also sail underwater".

Dex-chan lover
ah yes the typic random who got isekaied but know how to build a submarine
remind me a isekai where random 15yold knew how to build airplane,boat knew everything for farming and other

lets be honest if we get isekaied we wouldnt be able to do easy thing without our phone/pc

His screw propeller knowledge would change that world's shipbuilding industry forever. Not only it would work for submarines, it also works for surface ships. And before long, steam or magic engines would become a thing to make the propellers move.

@MiiaBestWaifu actually just remembering the shape isn’t hard. It’s just one piece and a simple one. You just need to have seen it a couple times to approximately remember it.

Dex-chan lover
@arashikitsu
i didnt remember thx but i still didnt see him research it, but ok this time its ok

@Aedial
well i saw a lot of airplane back in the day but cant remember a single part

Dex-chan lover
Is it not a submarine? I don't think it actually goes fully underwater. It seems to just be a semi-submersible.

Dex-chan lover
@MiiaBestWaifu I get where you are coming from as I have seen some Isekai's where the MC saw a "How it's Made" episode once and was able to fully reproduce a battle ship. That shit is ridiculous.

But on the other hand the concept is not that far off from plausible, (given enough time for testing).
You don't need a blueprint of every nut and bolt, and every inch and curve memorized to describe an idea. Concepts can be vague and still get across, specifics usually come later. The more specifics you have the less time needed for trial and error.

A water wheel is a novel idea that would have been useful by itself. Attaching a water wheel to a regular ship would provide valuable propulsion in your desired direction even when the wind or current wasn't in your favor. If it took too much magic power for one, why not have multiple ppl power it? They even invented a battery for it later so it's failure to take off is dumb.

If they did proper testing they would have known that a waterwheel wouldn't work underwater.

They built full scale models, without proper testing, or proving the concepts crucial to the idea. It is no wonder why they ran out of funds to complete it and couldn't sell it. The craftsmen were incompetent.

Dex-chan lover
you know, i usually likes manly man with beard (aside from villain)
but somehow, this MC irks me to death (he's a dumbass)
not to mention his beard like a villain, with dead eyes... (actually they all had dead eyes like, npc and mc alike)
just look at his close up face, ughh...

btw i am a man with beard!!

Dex-chan lover
lol, the sub wouldn't work with a paddle unless it is not submerged more than half way.

Dex-chan lover
I am slightly disappointed that he didn't also include a snorkel while he was at it. Makes it possible to air out the submarine even during a storm (when you don't want to open the main hatch).

Users who are viewing this thread