Isekai Ryouridou - Ch. 51 - A Nikujaga in Another World?!

Dex-chan lover
Is this a some way for the author to say their brother's a herbivore? 🤔 He seems to be the only one excited for potato.

Dex-chan lover
My name Artour Babaev. Sorry bad englandsky. I grow up in small farm to have make potatos. Father say "Arthour, potato harvest is bad. Need you to have play professional DOTO2 in Amerikanski for make money for head-scarf for babushka." I bring honor to komrade and babushka. Plz no copy pasteschniko
Andy Salad is that you?

Dex-chan lover
MC has now access to potatoes and I assume that he also has access to salt.
He can make a fortune by making chips, crisps and fries.

Dex-chan lover
I got curious this chapter, and I'm probably stupid for wondering, but still.
The people of the forest (I can't remember if they are literally called/referred to as that or if I'm being simplistic in my description, anyway) are primarily of darker skin tones, certainly darker than the Japanese MC. Are they "tan" because they primarily work outdoors (which I don't believe to be the case/reason) or do they naturally have darker skin tones?
Also, the people of the town/village are primarily of lighter skin tones, clearly not tan (in any way); at least the ones that we have been shown.
The third group of people, who I believe were nomadic(?), were also of darker skin tones...

So, two things that I noticed, the people who are more developed (i.e. a town with more sturdy permanent buildings, yes, the people of the forest have buildings, but from what I can see they appear more simplistic than the village/town) are light skinned, and the people who are (supposedly) less developed (small groupings of buildings, not using "formed" currency - meaning they use the tusks in more of a bartering system that the town's [likely] metallic currency, which they ONLY use with the town, etc) are primarily dark skinned...
Am I completely off base here? Please tell me I'm simply misinterpreting this...

Ah... And writing the above (carefully to try and not hit the more "offensive" wording) has made me completely forget the second point... Meh. I'll add it later if I remember.
You need to go back and re-read the series, then, as this has already been explained. They are refugees from elsewhere (the countries of this world roughly divided into South, East, West, and North, as I recall) that were allowed to stay here on the premise that they take up the job of managing the Gibu, and have over several generations (I don't recall them saying a specific number, but it's supposed to be quite a few ago that they came), eventually degenerated into the condition they're in now, in large part due to not having sufficient numbers, but also because the successive generations of the townspeople have not been properly doing their half of the contract with support (though that is also thanks to the shitty previous head abusing his power and authority and treating them like shit, too). Tusks also have a direct value that can be traded in, but are also status symbols, showing that they are taking their promised compact, that of hunting the Gibu, seriously.

Dex-chan lover
You need to go back and re-read the series, then, as this has already been explained. They are refugees from elsewhere (the countries of this world roughly divided into South, East, West, and North, as I recall) that were allowed to stay here on the premise that they take up the job of managing the Gibu, and have over several generations (I don't recall them saying a specific number, but it's supposed to be quite a few ago that they came), eventually degenerated into the condition they're in now, in large part due to not having sufficient numbers, but also because the successive generations of the townspeople have not been properly doing their half of the contract with support (though that is also thanks to the shitty previous head abusing his power and authority and treating them like shit, too). Tusks also have a direct value that can be traded in, but are also status symbols, showing that they are taking their promised compact, that of hunting the Gibu, seriously.
Ah. Yes, that would explain it. I thought there was a reasonable explanation, I simply couldn't remember the origin story for them.
Sorry, and thank you.

Dex-chan lover
Potato, God of Foods, hallowed be thy unlimited uses.
No offence to the venerable potato but if any food is god tier it's the egg. I love potatoes too but nothing is as versatile or as important in cooking as the egg, nothing. It is the corner stone of the culinary arts.
It seem like all they have is hunters, gatherers and homemakers. They might have women making pots, baskets, etc. someone else to make hunting tools, basic huts but that's about it. It looks to me like they don't have many skilled craftsmen. Maybe whatever made them refugees killed them off or separated them from this group. I don't remember, did they ever say why they became refugees? Anyway, I think the more primitive homes, furniture, etc. isn't just the lack of resources. I don't think any of them know how to make the more advanced stuff anymore. People really underestimate just how quickly a culture can lose skillsets if they simply don't have the opportunity to practice their trade for long enough (a generation or two) or if it's just not passed down, especially in smaller groups. I also don't imagine them having a high literacy rate, so I doubt they wrote the knowledge down and given that no one likes them I doubt they would have many options for apprenticeships with neighboring groups. With all that, it seems like they're pretty stuck developmentally.

Dex-chan lover
No offence to the venerable potato but if any food is god tier it's the egg. I love potatoes too but nothing is as versatile or as important in cooking as the egg, nothing. It is the corner stone of the culinary arts.
Actually, while I'd never argue against the egg being versatile, it's not really all that important, in and of itself. What makes it so useful is that it's an easy source of nearly pure protein in the whites that can then be used to bind other molecules together, as well as the yolk being useful as an emulsifying agent due to the lecithin (itself just phospholipids in oil) it contains, as well as high fat for nutrition density. However, each of those functions can be found elsewhere: pectins in fruits or various forms of starch (including potato starch) can be used as binder, as can gelatins derived from collagen and bones; there are a variety of lecithin sources that aren't egg yolk, most commonly derived from seed oils, including soy, through water degumming; as for high nutrition density, plenty of other foodstuffs do, too. Eggs really were and are all about ease of availability, not anything special about them in and of themselves.

It seem like all they have is hunters, gatherers and homemakers. They might have women making pots, baskets, etc. someone else to make hunting tools, basic huts but that's about it. It looks to me like they don't have many skilled craftsmen. Maybe whatever made them refugees killed them off or separated them from this group. I don't remember, did they ever say why they became refugees? Anyway, I think the more primitive homes, furniture, etc. isn't just the lack of resources. I don't think any of them know how to make the more advanced stuff anymore. People really underestimate just how quickly a culture can lose skillsets if they simply don't have the opportunity to practice their trade for long enough (a generation or two) or if it's just not passed down, especially in smaller groups. I also don't imagine them having a high literacy rate, so I doubt they wrote the knowledge down and given that no one likes them I doubt they would have many options for apprenticeships with neighboring groups. With all that, it seems like they're pretty stuck developmentally.
There was a war and they fled, as I recall, abandoning their god (Leopard?) in the process. And yes, every challenge you described is part of the issues that they are slowly getting resolved, all through his gentle pushing of everyone forward with his advanced knowledge, adapted to their foodstuffs and needs, getting their community out of its desperation state and able to thrive and grow after that (do note that the reticence towards interaction and trade goes both ways, and the townsfolk also are gradually forgetting about the serious threat of the Giba because such a good job has been done for so long). Remember also that they do not really have gatherers as much as scavengers, per se, as they are denied the "bounty of the forest", due to that screwing with the Giba habitat and causing mass stampedes; part of the whole reason they were accepted was to stop those, to begin with.

Dex-chan lover
Minorly disappointed that Asuta seemed fine with altering the recipe that much, without realizing as he tasted it that it was off or something. Rudo Ruu wanting to taste test is fine, but don't mess with the recipe, bub.

Users who are viewing this thread