Isekai Tensei Soudouki - Ch. 58 - King And Opportunist

Fed-Kun's army
@Leo80221 Exactly, the absolute shitshow horror show that's going happen when anyone tries to invade is going to be brutal. Like a toddlers fist fighting a wood chipper. That's without anything extra the nerd soul in Balud might've created or even magic getting involved. It's not like there's a geneva convention so pitfalls, punji sticks, etc. are all in play here as well. They don't call it a meat grinder for nothing.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, is he actually going to take the loyal route and not save his ass? Much respect to him for defending his country.

Can't wait to see the trench warfare shitshow that's about to happen. As a WW1 History nut, I can say that knowing how suicide charges with ego-inflated officers work, vs a well entrenched enemy... this isn't going to go well for Haurelia.

Dex-chan lover
Another chapter about characters we dont give a shit about

@Raydnt As much as I want the plot to focus on MC I do like this chapter. I like knowing what the enemy factions are plotting and context for the enemies attacking my MC.

@gregger My take on it is that he's being deceived into collapsing the valley (Which is a major road to Antrim) early, as in, before or once the war starts. Thus blocking any reinforcements that could come or supplies that might be necessary for Antrim to succeed at defending itself.

Though the count isn't as noble as you make it out to be. He's literally doing a "If I go bankrupt I don't get to go back to the capital. Therefore I'll use the easy money saving way out of this situation."

Double-page supporter
@MistLynx I cannot remember when it was established, but Mauricia and Haurelia are separated by a long mountain range and a very large river. The only opening between the two countries is along the border between the Cornelius and the Selvy domains. The reason this is important here is because Antrim was originally part of the Haurelia kingdom, meaning it was on the eastern side of the mountain range. It's supposed to be bad to access from the west, since there's a natural border between the two places.
It is a small ass-pull by the author to declare that only one notable road exists between Antrim and the Falkirk territory, but the situation has been established this way from very early on. In that sense, whether or not there's a fort there doesn't actually make much difference. The possibility explained here is that you can just spend some effort in collapsing the pass through artificial landslides. It won't stop the enemy army, but it will notably delay them, which also holds at least as much strategic value as a fort would. Antrim is expected to be the first target if a new war were to break out and due to it's position it'll be impossible to send sufficient reinforcements to actually stop the enemy army in any realistic amount of time, which also means that they wouldn't be able to hold a fort for long enough to send backup. This, in turn, would result in the fort being a very costly endeavour that'd grant the enemy a somewhat-free stronghold to defend against a counter-push.

@Scrwd The difference to regular trench warfare is that Balud's side has built their fortifications and trenches in a way that allows quick escape, but offers no advantage to the advancing side in case they manage to capture said trenches. Large sections of the trenches and most of the fortifications are open towards the Antrim side [no walls and simple ramps, respectively], which means they fulfill their purpose when used by the defenders, but won't offer assistance to the invaders once captured.

Dex-chan lover
Even in middle ages with no WW1 trench defense knowledge, a siege tends to last for some time up to years. Trenches basically creates a siege battle situation anywhere without actual fort/similar. You can however bypass trench with sappers or tunneling but this technique won't be deployed for obvious reasons. Also trench strategy assumes that border to enemy is fairly open, yet rugged enough that forts or big static bastions aren't effective but enveloping the defensive line is costly or time consuming.

Double-page supporter
@DaJa-rahrah It might sound great on paper, but his main army are still using cold weapons, aka mainly melee weapons like swords, axes, spears, pikes, etc. Unless he has an enormous amount of ammunition for his catapults and long range weapons, the trenches are still useless after there's nothing left to throw at the enemy, and warfare still has to resort to melee range

@Voij It doesnt matter if the trenches are made for defenders or not. They are still useless if they slow they enemy down, but you still can't effectively attack them. Again, in melee combat, trenches add very little advantage, so even if you can quickly navigate or retreat through them, your source of damage still boils down to fighting head-on face-to-face. As for potentially trapping the enemy, it matters little in the grand scheme of combat, since 4-5 men trapped matters little for an army that is +200 strong.

Fed-Kun's army
@Voij A fort not being there is what I am harping on. A single route from the frontline is a highly valuable strategic position that should have been previously fortified. A fortress there would prevent the need to collapse the route forcing the enemy to assault it while being unable to encircle said fort allowing it to be continuously resupplied while under siege quite literally making it siege proof.

Aggregator gang
The poor spies spend multiple chapters in an epic struggle to find and bring out vital intelligence. Which the king and his general take less than one chapter to promptly ignore and just go on and do their thing anyway.

@gregger The sole reason he accepted Antrim's position despite its obvious flaws is because he wanted to avoid his home Cornelius from becoming a battlefield, big PLUS his mom is pregnant, and she WILL fight even with that big belly of hers. He's a momcon, despite not admitting it.

Lmao they think our mcs cant stop a few rens of thousands of troops with only a thousand soldiers? Hahaha give him enough time and he could stop an entire continent from advancing

Aggregator gang
God, I hate this fucking king so much ! The others nobles are trash but the king is an asshole

@enperadorea True, but he doesn't have enough time. And his logistic support is soon to be lost because of an idiot duped by his traitor patron.

On the other nore, I can't help but notice your avatar.
Duwang+is+the+laughably+better+translation+_29b83f088bba814680dc180478a99af5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread