Isekai Yururi Kikou - Vol. 2 Ch. 14 - Mina!

the fact that i actually didn't know that milk is bad for cats. thank god i don't have a cat until now i would be devastated. thanks for the note!

I remembered we gave our stray kitten milk, she was healthy when we got her and can manage but then the next 2 days she died for unknown reason.

Then after 2 weeks we discovered that milk is fatal to baby cats and should only drink milk from their mother or buy milk from a pet store :( tho adult cats are fine with any milk, sadly tom and jerry ruined it lol just kidding

Contributor
Although I get what the translator is saying, saying "feeding milk will kill your cat" is a drastic oversimplification, I think? (Edit: I see the comment that the scanlators also know this but stuff happened XD) Leaving aside kittens, (for which, like most mammals, things go very wrong when fed the wrong species' milk—and I feel terribly sorry for the experience of the poster before me).

Many adult cats are lactose-intolerant (like adult mammals of most species), but just as with lactose-intolerant humans, that's not going to be fatal, I suppose unless you ignore all the signs of digestive distress and keep feeding them milk. And for those who aren't intolerant, it's horrible junk food and shouldn't be a staple, but it's hardly a poison.

All of which is to say, "don't feed cats milk" is pretty decent rule-of-thumb advice (and giving it to a stranger's cat is irresponsible; the gift of potential diarrhea is not a kind one)—but also don't assume that someone's a horrible person who's going to be the death of cat the moment you see them giving them a saucer of milk.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly it depends on the cat and the milk, some formula milk are safe and sterile milk can also be given to kittens after you dillute them with water, however it requires knowledge and trial and error, best case with error is they got diarrhea, worst case they might dehydrated and stressed to death.

Tl;dr if you aren't very familiar with how to feed milk to cats, don't.

Dex-chan lover
What's the trick with this bullshit monetary system ??? You have 3 levels of currency with a 100 factor between them, ok, classic and all, but even a single fruit costs 10 units of the highest value token, AKA the gold coin. What's the point of having copper and even silver coins if the cheapest and most common daily necessity is already TEN GOLD ?! It also implies that gold is plentiful enough to be used as the main money token, which makes its value negligible. In such context it would be safe to assume that gold is seen as a non-precious metal and that silver should actually be more expensive and/or that there is a bunch of generic fantasy metals holding more value. All in all this kind of setting never makes sense because it implies that the rarity of "normal" precious metals is so low that it MUST be used in daily things, like tablewares and whatnot. This is because the mechanical properties of those metals make em highly sought after regardless of their rarity, thus if they are plentiful they must be used more often. Best examples would be silverwares that protect from "accidental" poisoning and have antibacterial properties. And gold is very easy to shape due to its high ductility so it would be used profusely for fine crafts.

I hate bullshit monetary systems, they are a source of neverending plot holes and just make the universe look cheap and the writing lazy.
Unlike historical money systems, this one runs on a system similar to modern Japanese one. 1G is not 1 gold coin. It is 1 of the smallest coin available (copper coin).
Also, most fantasy worlds use a lot more gold than historical middle ages in Europe. Doubly so in anime and manga, where the artists can just draw as much gold as is needed to make a noble's mansion look opulent. And which makes a typical baron's home look more expensive than a tsar's palace.

Users who are viewing this thread