Isn't Being a Wicked Woman Much Better? - Vol. 1 Ch. 25

Dex-chan lover
You have universities. You have a vitally-important job that runs off mathematics. How do you not have developed the mathematical skills to do geometric sequences?

Maybe a strong Magical Guild, or the Mathematics are State Secrets?

Or maybe this is a plot development that the In-Setting Author was preparing for the protagonist or one of her potential love interests, or for a sequel story. Somebody's got to be the Newton/Leibniz.

Dex-chan lover
@mekrabbat it's because of the influance of the founder(?) mentioned, it's on the level of a prophet or something, people see is work as perfect so there is nothing to touch and you can never do better, and for the rest basic math is enough.
yeah kind of stupid way of thinking

Dex-chan lover
You have universities. You have a vitally-important job that runs off mathematics. How do you not have developed the mathematical skills to do geometric sequences?

Or maybe this is a plot development that the In-Setting Author was preparing for the protagonist or one of her potential love interests, or for a sequel story. Somebody's got to be the Newton/Leibniz.
Magic systems always felt inconsistent to me. Like, imagine a world where you cast a spell by chanting it with perfect prononciation. Wouldn't they develop a standardized system like the IPA to streamline learning spells?

I guess maybe this can be applied to our world though. "If education is so important to society, why isn't there a science studying the most effective ways to educate?"

Anyway, this series is quickly becoming my biggest motivation to raise my math grade. I want to understand what's going on in the math panels

Dex-chan lover

I understand that logical inconsistencies like this are a bit frustrating but we do have parallels in our world.

Look at how difficult of an endeavour it was to make "germ theory" widespread. That's something so vitally important to the field of healthcare now that medicine without basis on it is unthinkable to us. Yet for hundreds if not thousands of years, the prevailing thought was miasma, bad air, and the like. When it was introduced, the scientists and researchers at the time laughed at germ theory. And this is something that has physical evidence that you can sample and research to boot.

How much more a theoretical field that can only be applied and studied by someone who's elite enough to be able to study and fortunate enough to be able to wield magic.

Dex-chan lover
I guess maybe this can be applied to our world though. "If education is so important to society, why isn't there a science studying the most effective ways to educate?"
This is actually a good parallel because there is such a science in the real world, and the results of it are mostly being ignored by the people who control how we educate.

Dex-chan lover
hoping she does actually get that obsidian jewel since it matches her overall aesthetic

Dex-chan lover
She applied modern knowledge to the medieval era that using calculus as a magical formula. I think she would have been called a prodigy if she had remembered her past earlier, maybe even when she was a baby.

Magic systems always felt inconsistent to me. Like, imagine a world where you cast a spell by chanting it with perfect prononciation. Wouldn't they develop a standardized system like the IPA to streamline learning spells?

Anyway, this series is quickly becoming my biggest motivation to raise my math grade. I want to understand what's going on in the math panels
idk what to tell you except the formula on the board isn't accurate so idk how much learning math will help aside from being simultaneously amused and annoyed at the wrong math
S sub 2m isn't the same as S^2m, and the 2s wouldn't cancel out in the first place, and the a somehow disappears
I had a whole crisis so i asked my STEM friend LOL there's probs more problems but my main concern was the 2 of the 2m somehow disappearing

Dex-chan lover

Mathematical development from the greeks up to around Descartes's/Fermat's time was really weird. It's not "le dark ages"-tier, but it was mostly goofy stuff like solving quartics. If you ask a random mathematician, Vièta's formulas are probably the single result from the time that he can name.

Dex-chan lover
idk what to tell you except the formula on the board isn't accurate so idk how much learning math will help aside from being simultaneously amused and annoyed at the wrong math
S sub 2m isn't the same as S^2m, and the 2s wouldn't cancel out in the first place, and the a somehow disappears
I had a whole crisis so i asked my STEM friend LOL there's probs more problems but my main concern was the 2 of the 2m somehow disappearing
I thought it looked kind of fishy, but I'm not that good at math, so I assumed I was missing something. I still want to learn math so I can check if things are accurate though. I just think it would be funny

N2O

Dex-chan lover
I know everyone knows this but it's unrealistic because it's a manga where the FL reincarnates into a fictional piece of fiction with a villainess :shamihuh:

Dex-chan lover
I understand that logical inconsistencies like this are a bit frustrating but we do have parallels in our world.

Look at how difficult of an endeavour it was to make "germ theory" widespread. That's something so vitally important to the field of healthcare now that medicine without basis on it is unthinkable to us. Yet for hundreds if not thousands of years, the prevailing thought was miasma, bad air, and the like. When it was introduced, the scientists and researchers at the time laughed at germ theory. And this is something that has physical evidence that you can sample and research to boot.

How much more a theoretical field that can only be applied and studied by someone who's elite enough to be able to study and fortunate enough to be able to wield magic.

It's not an entirely bad comparison, but there are a couple of differences. The germ theory isn't that old. However, that magic theory is apparently from the time of the previous empire. Looking at the society in this series, how developed it is and how (overly) established the nobles are, I'd say the previous empire was a long time ago indeed. So, in comparison we reached the point of being able to create the whole genome of a germ from scratch in the same time nothing at all happened to the magic theory in this story.

The other problem is that someone sticking to the old theory would be instantly killed by someone who found a quicker method. That's why gun technology evolved so rapidly: you got killed if you tried to fight an opponent using a more advanced model. Magic is very much weaponised in this story, like that scumbag Phillap has demonstrated time after time. So, logically you shouldn't be able to afford to hold the old theory in such veneration. The only way out of this apparently flaw is to assume that society actually hasn't faced a war or any significant unrest for centuries, nor do people capable of using magic need to fight other magicians frequently at all.

Users who are viewing this thread