It Shows on Your Face, Ichijou-San

Fed-Kun's army
Personal vampire theory:

Why they drink blood? could be an evolutionary trait from a sub specie primate that lives on harsh environment, due to lack of food they would suck the blood of other primate (maybe their own?) to extract the plasma from the blood as food

Why burn in sunlight? maybe also due only sucking plasma as food they don't have enough nutrition have strong skin tissue so they would get sunburn very easily from UV radiation? (honestly this one is a stretch)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITS TOO SOON 😭

Really sweet manga btw would recommend if you wanna read simple romcom

Dex-chan lover
Cute, but devoid of any real tension better romcom's have.

The story has Mahiro, a high school student, in love with Ichijou, a popular and virtuous classmate. Mahiro finds out she's actually a vamipre, then spends the semester getting to know her better and develop romance along the way.

The story is frankly lame. There is little tension. Mahiro nor Ichijou ever find themselves in any real danger. Any dramatic moments in the story get mulled within ten pages. This is an underuse of the supernatural aspect of falling for a vampire. More on that, the vampire aspect of the story quickly wears off to the point the resder completely forgot Ichijou was a vampire. The only time one will remember she's a vampire is when her fangs are shown in a panel. Otherwise she feels like a regular girl, generic even. Lastly the story treats the characters like they're much more than what the story has shown us. At multiple points Ichirou or Mahiro will state how countless times the other helped them, saved them, or something of the like. However, we only get a couple of story arcs where these referenced incidents actually occur. It feels the mangaka wants the reader to build extensive backgrounds for these characters rather than do it himself. This comes off as lazy writing.

The story does have some redeemers though. Mahiro is decisive enough to somewhat avoid the "kind guy" MC so many other romcoms fall for. He does go through some development so that by the end he is more confident of himself. This is particularly felt in the last chapters. The close ups of Ichijou in her bloodlust state are a treat and give her some punch that is devoid in her normal state. These positives allow some enjoyment from the story.

While the positives exist, they are outweighed by the nagatives. This manga was obviously axed based on the ending feeling very rushed. The ax was necessary here, as it didn't seem the story was going anywhere otherwise. This leaves for a bland romcom that is helped by being short. Reading it should take an hour or so. I have no strong opinions on whether it should be read or not.

5/10.

It needs more, but it ended where it needed to end. It's so awkward when a manga keeps going when the reason you started reading it isn't there anymore. It also woulda been nice if there other supernatural humanoids of some sort. Maybe not directly involved, but as an alternate POV character. The siblings were also pretty one note. Moral of the story; don't setup things you don't have time to develop.

The series leaves much to be desired. It's a shame it got axed so soon. The premise is interesting but the author struggled to sustain momentum beyond the original one-shot, which is likely the cause for it being axed. The pacing felt haphazard & there was nothing concrete holding the series together outside of cute & sweet moments. The vampire factor of the series eroded, and by volume 3, the original drive of the series felt meaningless. It would have been more compelling if Naraki had stayed as a rival or antagonist, adding depth to the story dynamics. Unfortunately, she fell into the supportive "set the main characters up" role too soon. The lack of any overarching suspense outside of single-chapter conflicts didn't leave much to the actual "story".

Overall, the series failed to capitalize on its initial potential. It was still an enjoyable read despite its flaws and the art is really good. So if you're looking for a quick read with cute moments I would recommend it. Otherwise, 6/10.

Last edited:
Banned
Guess I am too due to read these surface level soft shit romcom. I want some drama or some fun! Anything that would get me invested! This manga has none.

Double-page supporter
Guess I am too due to read these surface level soft shit romcom. I want some drama or some fun! Anything that would get me invested! This manga has none.
You just a soulless meat puppet.
Try talking to real people.
Not being online 16+ hours a day.
Eating junk food all the time.

As for the manga, I like it 8/10.

Users who are viewing this thread