Itsuwari no Marigold - Vol. 2 Ch. 10

Dex-chan lover
Sorry hoss.

Botanical definition follows strict rules. And is corrected as necessary as peer-reproducable science improves.
"Culinary" definition does not. And follows the whims of dictators of the day.

The same corruption of language leads to artificial terms like "committed unalive" (cultural) and "pizza is a vegetable" (legal).
No need to apologize because you don't understand that botanical and culinary definitions do not compete against each other and have no real connection outside of ignorant people trying to be pedantic about something they don't really understand.

Both exist independently of each other, one is science based, sure, but even botanical definitions do differ sometimes depending on where you are in the world, and the western categories are not uniformly accepted 100% of the time elsewhere in the non English/EU/NA world. (Though there is agreement 99.999% of the time among worldwide botanists).

But even if Botanical definitions were 100% uniform throughout the world, that would still have nothing to do with how culinary definitions are used, because they serve completely different purposes and thus there is never a need to correct someone using them for one purpose with the definitions used for an entirely different purpose.

This chapter, and the comment at the end, obfuscates things further by bringing horticultural scientists into it as well. They, like botanists, are much more standardized with their categorizations as they are equally scientifically legitimate. But again, their purposes of how and why they categorize things differ (botanists focus on a fully theoretical perspective focused on genetics, ecology, evolution etc. while Horticulturists focus on breeding, cultivation etc.) so thus their categories do differ from each other, and furthermore Horticultural definitions differ at times around the world due to how local harvesting and growing conditions and methods differ.

All this is again to say that Botanical, Horticultural, and Culinary definitions all serve completely different and equally important and legitimate purposes, and there is never a need to correct someone using them for one purpose with the definitions that are used for an entirely different purpose.

Dex-chan lover
i feel like a hairpin color should be complimentary or contrast rather than being the exact shade unless you're trying to do a natural ponytail/hairbun to where it wouldn't stick out but cute

is it something that'd be easily forgettable versus like buying cups/chunks rather than a huge one lol

(who calls a watermelon a veggie tho XD)

hm, are the parents aware of lily's 'boyfriend'? although i guess if it's a n arrangement can't rly do much unless there's some kinda "take off and run away together" kinda arc but i hope she reveals her gender before that
Naah they probably know that the true boyfriend died

That what I thought tho

Dex-chan lover
That sister is so retarded. Watermelon is a Berry.
Botanically it's a desert vine, part of the Citrullus genus, part of the Benincaseae tribe along with other various gourds and vines, within the Cucurbitaceae family, which includes various other squash, gourds, melons, vines, all of which are under the order Cucurbitales alongside various trees and shrubs.

Basically, it's two separate things being talked about, one is the entire plant (where watermelon is a gourd and vine plant in the above categorization), and the other is how the fruit of said plant that we consume is categorized, which is a specific and distinct specialized term called Pepo (which is related to berries) which is also used for other gourd family fruits. This is not the same as a baccae berry like Straw/Raspberry, and should not be conflated as being the same thing at all.

Watermelon being a vegetable is a categorization completely separate from botanical, and is a hortacultural categorization based on how and when it is harvested, and is not a universally agreed upon hortacultural categorization (in the west they are considered fruits by their horticulturalists). And again, this is in regards to the entire plant, not just the consumed part which Lily was discussing, so it's still equally wrong to correct it in this case even if they were discussing the same categorization method (Lily was talking about culinary, her sister Horticultural, so they weren't even talking about the same thing at all).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Just found out this got axed (?) apparently…very sad but I hope it can stick the landing.

I doubt it was axed.

According to the author's Twitter, they told the complete story, which means they never intended for it to run for long.
This was originally a one-shot that went viral, so the author expanded on the story a bit more before concluding it.

Not only that, but just one day after this ended, the mangaka announced a new serialization, which means they were already working on something new while finishing this project.

Dex-chan lover
thanks for the translation!

lily was struggling to breath, hoping suzu lets go before it ends up with lily blacking out

Dex-chan lover
Well, this entire manga was always giving me vives that at some point everything will crumble apart. :shamihuh:

Dex-chan lover
Naah they probably know that the true boyfriend died

That what I thought tho
I mean, other than there being some letter/death record i don't know if Lily's parents even knew she 'encountered' the original bro to begin with but i imagine they might not have approved versus the bro just saving up money to take lily away himself

Dex-chan lover
Just found out this got axed (?) apparently…very sad but I hope it can stick the landing.
Is it not based on a novel? tho five chapters might be enough to finish up some loose ends considering some old BLs back in the day were only 3-4 chapters long

Group Leader
Personally, I think watermelons are meat. Just look at it when you cut one open.

Also, Suzu is such a Karen.

Dex-chan lover
I really liked a lot of Suzu's expressions in this chapter. They were so nice to look at.

Thank you for the translation.

Dex-chan lover
"Watermelons are vegetables"
Sooo, you wanna start that sisterly mortal combat from there?

Dex-chan lover
Why are there more comments about the watermelon than the actual plot lol

Users who are viewing this thread