Jaken-san wa Sugu Bureru - Vol. 2 Ch. 13 - The Cursed Sword Grows

Dex-chan lover
@doubletiger Federal laws state it's 13 but pretty much every prefecture has laws that push it up to 16-18, with weird parent permission-dependant exceptions. There might be a few smaller areas where it's still effectively 13-15, and the idea of it, even when legally forbidden in reality, is extremely permissive compared to almost anywhere, but for the most part consent stuff in Japan are creepy in different ways than plain old child-fucking.

Dex-chan lover
but the Child Welfare Act bumps that age up to 18 in Japan. They just haven't updated their national law.
@doubletiger @jonsmth @Varler @critico @EmeraldLagasse @twinklecake

doubletiger, many prefectures(districts) in Japan have these local "corruption of minors" or "obscenity statutes" which raise the de-facto age of consent to 16-18,

But even with that, 13 year olds can still be at age on consent if they are in a "sincere romantic relationship", usually determined by parental consent accord to the law.
Although you don't see it often but is still a "yikes" that this is written in law books.

Theoretically, if you lived in Marcus and Okinotori Islands (not many people live there though) of Japan and you could have a 13 year old give consent because for those islands the Age Of Consent is 13 nationally.

Japan as nation, should just raise the age of consent to at least 16 year old and get rid of loopholes like "being really in love with a 13 year old and getting permissions from parents to fuck said 13 year old".
I just think it just sends a wrong message to the Japanese people and especially it's children/teens, that in the nation law books, Japan has the Age Of Consent is 13. Changing it to at least 16 would send the right message.

Source: https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/japan

@_thestranger_

The U.S. is also a joke when it comes to child brides and sexual exploitation of minors. Kids as young as 9 get married and get raped without knowing what is happening. Around 3 years ago, about 20 states had laws with exceptions to allow child brides. Some states prevented divorces and left children stuck in marriages. 15 years after 2000, over 200,000 child brides were recorded. Smh, I don’t know a nation that protects children from all this BS.

I don’t usually do edits, but look at this. No nation is 100% clear of child brides. They refuse to provide info if they wanna keep appearances (at least, that’s the extent of what I know?)

https://www.girlsnotbrides.org/where-does-it-happen/atlas/

https://www.cpr.org/show-segment/child-marriage-common-in-the-past-persists-today/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/child-marriage-united-states-donna-pollard/

Dex-chan lover
@_thestranger_
I just think it just sends a wrong message to the Japanese people and especially it's children/teens
I get the impression that the the local de facto age of consent is pretty common sense there. Most of the ones who gets the wrong idea are English-speaking people who Google the "fun fact".

But you're right, their national law has to be updated some day. Apparently, some Japanese people are petitioning to raise the age of consent. I found that age of consent is one of the most commonly-neglected law all around the whole world considering how low it is at some places (like you mentioned, Philippines).

That aside, again, age of consent might not have anything to do in a gag manga, especially one that is set on a fantasy world. I think the age was mentioned not for that reason, but to explain the naivete - 14 is practically the age for chuunibyou. There is no acknowledgement of the age gap in this chapter, but it makes sense since no character actually mentioned it out loud.

Dex-chan lover
The U.S. is also a joke when it comes to child brides and sexual exploitation of minors.
@IShallReadTheHeavens , I absolutely, 100% agree with you. It's a fucking joke and disgrace. Everyone has to get their shit together, be it Japan, America or Philippines. They should all be pressure in having laws that protect underage kids.

some Japanese people are petitioning to raise the age of consent
@jonsmth , I been reading news about that. A group of teenagers/kids, along with adults, petitioning to raise the age of consent. I wish the best for them and I hope they succeed but it might be a hard fight seeing that law hasn't been changed for a very long time.

That aside, again, age of consent might not have anything to do in a gag manga
Sorry to be a party pooper, I actually enjoyed this chapter and it's a fictional piece of work so I not getting upset about it. I just like think of what I read about even if it's comedy, I can't turn off my brain off completely.

But I wanted to add context on why the author may have aged her so young. Like all authors they take and are inspire by things in the real world.

This is conjecture because I don't know what the author was thinking when he wrote this, but maybe he made her age so young because of the real laws or traditions in Japan, hence the "fun fact" comment I made.
I hope that clarify the "fun fact" comment to you.

Dex-chan lover
@_thestranger_
This is conjecture because I don't know what the author was thinking when he wrote this, but maybe he made her age so young because of the real laws or traditions in Japan, hence the "fun fact" comment I made.
I see. I took it that you were ridiculing with the "lol" rather than making an unsure statement. There has been more readers here lately who go on a moral crusade against a country that is too foreign to them, sometimes ignoring all the setting-specific and cultural nuances, that it rubs me the wrong way. I apologize.

Well, I actually missed the age reveal the first time around. I only caught it on the subsequent rereads and well, it is kind of weird to mention her age at all at the point and not have it acknowledged by the characters. I could see why you might throw that conjecture out there.

I don't know if you know, but there is this sort of cultural phenomenon where kids on their 2nd year of middle school are in a phase where they are unusually obsessive about something while being oblivious about societal norms. This is made popular worldwide by the series, "Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai", where a certain heroine is stuck in that phase all the way into high school. Considering this, this brings about a certain expectation that someone around that age - 14 years old - might be a little crazier. If the aim of the author was to make the character to be simply underaged, she could have been any age from 0 to 17 (there has been adult-looking characters at age 0).

Dex-chan lover
@jonsmth
It's all good. I also missed her age too lol, when I read the chapter a second time, I noticed her age.

I agree that people shouldn't be going on moral crusade against a country based on fictional work because it's all fictional work at the end of the day. Nations or people shouldn't be "cancel" over fictional work. I think if people want to critique other nations (or your own) base it on reality on real world problems while being inform and approaching it thoughtfully.

I actually spend time reading and watching videos on Japanese issues like "chikan", that is the Japanese term for gropers and sexual harassment on public transport like trains. Women trains during rush hours is thing because theirs a massive problem of JKs (teenager school girls) and women getting grope and sexually harass in packed trains (because there are so many people, they can grope anonymously and often get away with it).

There's this Germany Japanese youtuber that goes in depth on the "chikan" and also the dark history why women trains were created in response to a horrible event. And also the false hysteria of so call mass "fake groping/sexual harassments" accusations. Definitely worth a watch and it's not "SJW propaganda". Here's the link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMCPnWeU0ig

I think heard of "Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai", I should take a lot at it for sure.

Dex-chan lover
page 6 : of course pointing your finger to a crowd will cause some mis-understanding :
girl points her finger : that boy over there , lets make love .

and in fictional stories , demons love to make contracts .

page 12 , panel 4 : "ji" means "staring" in japanese .

Holy baby demon king, she's 14?!
Did she eat too much hormone-induced American food or something?

Users who are viewing this thread