Jiisama ga Iku - Ch. 21 - Oldman and the Outside World

thank you for the translation.

unfortunately, alpha manga is not available in my region but thanks for the information.

Dex-chan lover
What the hail? How da heck u sell dried fish at 50x fresh fish and at reduce volume? This does not compute.
I think part of it is the preservation of dried fish makes it so you can make use of ALL the fish you catch. I don't think they have refrigerator equivelent so most fish would spoil and go bad before it was ever sold. And Drying makes transpertation to other regions possible.

Dex-chan lover
In our world, human species have been preserving fish by drying since Homo heidelbergensis, and salt curing for at least 60,000 years. But somehow a world that has domesticated animals, ocean-going vessels, elaborate fabrics, wheels and axles and multi-story architecture didn't figure out the most basic food preservation?

This kind of weirdness puts a damper on an otherwise excellent story.

Dex-chan lover
In our world, human species have been preserving fish by drying since Homo heidelbergensis, and salt curing for at least 60,000 years. But somehow a world that has domesticated animals, ocean-going vessels, elaborate fabrics, wheels and axles and multi-story architecture didn't figure out the most basic food preservation?

This is one of the manga that is/has gone heavy on the "we explain Stuff to kids" tack.
And is going about it like the blind leading the lame...

And never forget... For the majority of people reading this, Food Comes From the Supermarket, or from a Deli/Restaurant/FastFood Franchise.
In Big City Japan, home of the Almighty Vending machine, probably even more so.

And let's be fair.. Properly drying/smoking fish to preserve it has a couple of tricks to it that you do need to know to prevent severely reducing the life expectancy of you or others by eating it.
As with any form of food preparation, the principle is really simple, but proper execution is crucial and less trivial.

Dex-chan lover

Just the usual isekai trope WOW WE DIDNT KNOW THAT, MC A FUCKIN GENIUS! :pepela:

Double-page supporter
I have 5 site to read manga/manwha/mahua, I already have trouble remembering which series I want to read, so thanks for the TL it's been fun.

Thank you for the translation.

sadly, Alphamanga is yet not available in my country but thanks for the information.

Dex-chan lover
if it's already years or easily a decade about kanade's brother and other fisherman overfishing, regardless if the lake is humungous, lake's resources should already be on the verge of collapse but somehow they kept it on the borderline okay side.

they have a jerky as traveling food but not fish? what? ain't no fucking way.

Dex-chan lover
I feel like people take technological advancement in civilization for granted, especially for food related things like fish preservation or potato dishes. Different cultures advance in different ways at different speeds, for instance the Irish having only potato's for food so they needed to figure out just how many different dishes you can make out of necessity, allowed for us today to know that potato's are a very versatile food stuff, irrigation was not wide spread for the longest time with farmers just praying that it would rain. This world has bandits and monsters so no one in this village had the idea to bring fish to other places and since "there is always more fish" seems like the predominate line of thinking why look for ways to make caught fish last longer when you can just fish more?

Users who are viewing this thread