Jiken Jaken! - Vol. 2 Ch. 20 - Detective!

Dex-chan lover
tbh wish childhood friend was never added, she exists only to suffer. what is the mangaka obsession with destroying childhood friends? is it jealousy? were they all bullied by the older neighbor girl?

Dex-chan lover
I completely agree with @crookshanks. Why did the author add a childhood friend with feelings? Oh how I hate the love triangle trope. I hoped Yuriko would stay cold to Toiri and that Toiri would begin to appreciate the feelings of his childhood friend. Now the childhood friend is just there to suffer.

Dex-chan lover
I think it's more in the vein of we need a love rival and the first one that comes that isn't that weird would be either childhood friend or an old classmate of his/her. Also, usually, these type of stories suffer of the 1st girl syndrome so...

There's no need for a love rival due to how the story operates. He's so absolutely dead set on loving her to begin with (and is pretty explicit with it, which is more than most other characters in similar situations) and she's not dumb enough to be oblivious to it, and in fact either ignores it or plays along with it for her detective hobby, leaving there no room for any other character to come around. If it was more focused on the romance, than it would make sense, but romance is only 45% of the story.

Dex-chan lover
@minmanga @Crookshanks
2 reasons:
1) gags
2) toiri is already smart and pretty good at detective puzzles. adding the childhood friend gives us a chance to watch someone start to learn to enjoy mysteries (since she just joined for toiri) and grow into learning to solve them
3) they want to be serialized

Double-page supporter
So we knew more about mc

Seems she does her homework

BCS

Dex-chan lover
Oh, I really hoped it's just a crush and he'll end up with the childhood friend.

I guess it's true, the childhood friend never wins

Dex-chan lover
The bullying in the toilet made me think that
"Wait is this gonna turn into Hanako story" but then later realise
"Isn't he a male?"
I was gonna make a joke like turning the Hanako's name into male name but couldn't think of it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread